2020 East-West Shrine Game

Mark Vader

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Is anyone watching? I don't have NFL Network anymore. :angry:

I'm watching now but I started late and missed the East scoring a TD at the start.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096573/article/2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl-standouts-from-day-1-of-practice?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews

has notes from 4 days of practice.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm watching now but I started late and missed the East scoring a TD at the start.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096573/article/2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl-standouts-from-day-1-of-practice?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews

has notes from 4 days of practice.

Cool, guess I'll just have to wait and see if NFL Network will replay online.

Okay thought I'd type up my notes on last night while this game is on.... I will do it position by position with the guy who impressed me:

Quarterback: This was not my first exposure to James Morgan (#12 East out of Florida International) as I ended up, for reasons I am not sure I can explain, watching a bit of Florida International's victory over Miami near the end of the season. I have to say there was nothing that day that made me think "draft prospect" but he was impressive last night. Thought he showed really good poise in the pocket, a nice quick release and made some very smart decisions. Not sure he has the arm strength to really succeed in the NFL as a starter but he probably did enough last night to make sure that is on a few teams' lists as a priority UDFA to bring into camp and then he has a shot to make a practice squad somewhere and maybe compete for a backup job down the road. 

Running Back: Nor was it my first exposure to Adrian Killins Jnr (#26 East out of UCF) but I don't think I had watched him at all in 2019 because UCF have rather fallen off my radar. But I did see him as a junior and thought he had some Dion Lewis like quality as an undersized, 3rd down, receiving back. That was all on display last night too as he led the East with 7 catches for 92 yards. The worry is how much value he adds as a runner. He only got 1 carry last night for no gain but he averaged 6 yards a carry through his college career. I think he is draftable as a change of pace / receiving back - potential late day 3 guy for me. It was, however, my first exposure to James Robinson (#25 West out of Illinois State) who is a more of a thumper back and lacks some top end speed but I loved the toughness with which he ran and he had a 63 yard scamper for a touchdown. I've checked out his numbers and he has had great production at Illinois State but how fast he runs in Combine / Pro-day will be crucial in deciding whether he is a day 3 pick or an UDFA. 

Tight End: One of the stars of the first half was Eli Wolf (#47 East out of Georgia) who had 3 nice catches for 49 yards. He reminds me a little of the Bills' own Dawson Knox. Really athletic kid, big frame, underused as a receiver in college so likely to come in raw but has the materials to be a good NFL receiving tight end and has shown he can do some blocking - though like Dawson coming out will need to refine that further in the league. Definitely draftable. Probably a mid-round pick, expect him to come off the board somewhere around rounds 4 or 5. 

Offensive Line: My MVP of the game was Darryl Williams (#53 East out of Mississippi State) who was dominant at center. Loved him in pass pro and he got plenty of push in the run game as well. I reckon he could go as early as the later picks on day 2. And then there were two tackles I liked who I think probably change positions at the next level. The first was Jon Runyan (#75 East out of Michigan) who played left guard and left tackle for the East (and has played left tackle all year for the Wolverines) but who I think probably plays on the right side in the NFL where his lack of physical dominance is easier to live with for the trade off of a sound technique. My guess is he goes late day 3, especially with his father a former NFL player and currently in the league office. The second was one of the Canadian invites - Carter O'Donnell (#64 West out of Alberta) who played at right tackle for the West and anchored really well against power rushers but had a struggle against speed edge rushers. He won't get drafted but I'm intrigued by his size and I'd bring him in for an UDFA look and try him inside at guard as a developmental guy. 

Wide Receiver: Let me start by saying I think there were receivers in this game who will get drafted and there were receivers who would get drafted in many other years who will be UDFAs this year because of the talent at the position higher up in the draft. But I didn't think any of them really enhanced their stock massively last night. Binjimen Victor (#19 West out of Ohio State) has been a depth / rotational player most of his college career but had a nice high pointed TD grab on a ball that looked like it was going to be picked. That was probably the stand out moment. I doubt he gets draft before the 6th or 7th round but he has that size and I don't know how he is expected to run but if he runs well maybe he could even creep up higher. 

Defensive Line: This was the one unit on defense where I thought some guys made a real impression. Bryce Huff (#55 West out of Memphis) was the most impressive to my eye. He flies off the ball and he has really impressive bend. He has had 16 sacks over the past two seasons with Memphis and while people will no doubt point to his competition faced he has had good games against Penn State and Ole Miss. I really like this kid and I am excited to go find some film on him. He looks to me like a day 2 pick. Raequan Williams (#98 West out of Michigan State) also impressed. He is a 3 tech who penetrates and while he was inconsistent in the game, interior DLinemen who can get penetration are a hot commodity in the league. I think he will be drafted somewhere on day 3. The third impressive lineman was Michael Danna (#94 East out of Michigan) who played in this game as an undersized defensive end but who I suspect is more attractive to teams who want to use him as a pass rushing outside linebacker in a 3-4. Was a rotational guy for the Wolverines this year and is probably a late day 3 pick and a very specific scheme fit - not one for every team and from a Bills perspective not sure he would make sense. 

Linebacker: Just one linebacker who made a stand out impression on me and it was John Houston Jnr (#40 West out of USC). He looked a really smooth mover for a guy of his size. A lot of team will have him pegged as an outside guy but from a Bills perspective he might be a nice backup for Tremaine at that inside position. He has similar length and while he isn't the athlete Edmunds is I liked his movement skills. Another one I want to go and delve into some game tape on if I can find any. I think a day 3 guy but would not surprise me if this kid ended up as a starter somewhere in the NFL. 

Defensive Back: Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Normally there is a corner or two in the Shrine game who ends up on my list and there were a couple of nice safeties in last year's game but I thought the DB play last night was desperately poor. By the looks of this game not a good year to be sifting though the later rounds looking for a DB who can make your roster.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.