Why don't teams run tackle eligible plays more often? They almost always work

Big Turk

I don't get why these plays aren't used more often.  They are so effective and almost always leave the player wide open to catch an easy TD.  I mean I'd start branching out and using these plays on key short yardage situations also when we need a pivotal first down.  Just have the big guy catch it and go down. Or even more interesting, have the big guy catch it with a speedster running behind the LOS from the other side of the formation and as he turns upfield they big guy pitches it to him in full stride.  

You may very well have an observational bias.  You see when they work, and when they work, they appear to work extraordinarily well (provided the tackle doesn't drop it).  You don't see how many times it's attempted & he's covered &/or the QB goes elsewhere (or gets sacked/runs).

12 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

You may very well have an observational bias.  You see when they work, and when they work, they appear to work extraordinarily well (provided the tackle doesn't drop it).  You don't see how many times it's attempted & he's covered &/or the QB goes elsewhere (or gets sacked/runs).

Perhaps, but wouldn't even having the threat of this being able to happen provide the offense with the potential to hit them with a power run?  You are bringing extra linemen into the game, you could use it to your advantage and just run it at them.

• Like (+1) 1

The reason it is effective is that it occurs so rarely - it is the element of surprise.  If it was regularly run, there would no longer be the element of surprise.  There's also the risk of failure (incompletion, sack, etc.) due to the tackle running a pass pattern and not being on the line to block.  It was great to see the Bills run it to perfection on Saturday!  Too bad they didn't have one more trick up their sleeve late in the game.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Also they often don’t work. We just don’t see those high lights or remember the run of the mill walk back to the huddle 

When they don’t work the ball is never thrown. The QB isn’t throwing the ball unless the OL is WIDE open.

• Like (+1) 1

They almost always work because they are almost always never used.  It's the act of the defense not paying attention that it works.  I can guarantee you that Belichicks will be making sure his defense pays attention to that from now on.  May still work, but they will still pay attention.  It was pretty cool that it worked against them considering its usually the Pats that come up with that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, MDH said:

When they don’t work the ball is never thrown. The QB isn’t throwing the ball unless the OL is WIDE open.

Indeed. It seems when the ball is thrown, they are indeed wide open. It really does seem to work more often than not. What made it better with the Bills., it's that it was Dawkins, the starting LT. Often times it's the added lineman.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

actually when it's announced infrequently, it does seem to work most of the time

i guess if defining it doesn't "work" when the eligible man isn't instrumental in the play, makes it risky?

They rarely play the announcement on tv...live the tackle declares eligible a whole lot, it's just that it happens early in the play clock and the broadcast doesn't play it because the announcers are talking.

Also, it means you can't have another player lined up on the line of scrimmage on that side of the field, and you can only have a certain number of players in the backfield or one one side of the field. I have ti imagine it limits formations a lot and forces you to be a lot more predictable coming out of the huddle.

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

They rarely play the announcement on tv...live the tackle declares eligible a whole lot, it's just that it happens early in the play clock and the broadcast doesn't play it because the announcers are talking.

Also, it means you can't have another player lined up on the line of scrimmage on that side of the field, and you can only have a certain number of players in the backfield or one one side of the field. I have ti imagine it limits formations a lot and forces you to be a lot more predictable coming out of the huddle.

An on field official, probably the referee, announces the man is eligible before the play starts, you have the game on mute usually?

i know what it means....

Edited by row_33