Aaron Donald Rumored to Be on Trade Block...Should The Bills Make a Move?

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

For some reason people can’t seem to wrap their head around the fact that they can trade for Donald and still have plenty of $$$$ and draft picks for the offense.

You seem so certain about this.

We don't know what the asking price would be for Donald.

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

DT might be the most overrated position in football after Left Tackle. We've had Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Ted Washington, and Pat Williams among a host of other very good interior DL and it got us exactly nowhere. To commit that kind of cap space to a position that won't win you a Super Bowl is just stupid when you can get guys like Jordan Phillips for a $4.5M cap hit.  

That doesn't make sense.

Same is true of every position in football, including quarterback. Did getting Philip Rivers win the Chargers a championship?

LT isn't overrated, nor is DT. Yes we've had good ones without winning championships, but there is no correlation there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

That doesn't make sense.

Same is true of every position in football, including quarterback. Did getting Philip Rivers win the Chargers a championship?

LT isn't overrated, nor is DT. Yes we've had good ones without winning championships, but there is no correlation there.

It makes plenty of sense if you believe that Phillip rivers isn't a great QB.

Many of the best LTs and DTs to play the game don't have rings, and I don't need to commit 20% of my cap to those guys. I'd rather have the best Linebacker, QB or even Safety.

Oh, man, I should've checked the original quote first thing. It's nonsense.

The OP links to an article by a guy named Bryan DeArdo, which then talks about another article by Michael Silver. But there's no link. I should've noticed that before.

When you go to the Silver article, it's obvious how DeArdo messed up. Here's

"Multiple sources expect there to be a shakeup on McVay's coaching staff, perhaps including veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. There could also be significant turnover in the personnel department. As for the roster, Gurley's high salary and declining production may make him a cap casualty, and other key players could be traded or released as the organization builds around Goff on offense and star defensive tackle Aaron Donald on defense. "

That's the opposite of saying Donald is on the block. My bad for not checking. Everyone should do that when an article quotes another article. Go to the source article and see if it really says what the secondary source tells you it did. Here it does not.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It makes plenty of sense if you believe that Phillip rivers isn't a great QB.

Many of the best LTs and DTs to play the game don't have rings, and I don't need to commit 20% of my cap to those guys. I'd rather have the best Linebacker, QB or even Safety.

Right, if you think Phillip Rivers isn't a great QB. And if a person thought that, it would make that person look extremely dopey. Rivers will be a Hall of Famer, and for good reason.

20% of your cap? So, you don't want to spend $40 mill a year on an LT or a DT? Well, I have to say, I'm with you on that.

And again, yes, you're right that "Many of the best LTs and DTs to play the game don't have rings." To repeat, the same can be said for every single position on the field, including QB. That argument has no force.

Plenty of good LTs and DTs get stuck on bad teams with bad front offices and don't win titles. Same with good QBs, good WRs, good pass rushers, good ... well, good everything. Dan fricking Marino didn't win a championship, and it wasn't because QB isn't important. Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Rivers, Fouts, Kenny Anderson, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, and on and on.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Steelers just gave up a 1st to acquire Minkah Fitzpatrick, who they will have to sign to a big money deal within the next 2 years.  He's going to be an $18-$20 million/year guy.

Beane has already whiffed on Kelvin Benjamin and kicked the tires on Antonio Brown.  I don't think many here have as great a grasp on what Beane's philosophy is as they think they do.

Your still on KB & AB? the team has since moved on, AB is likely done In the league, so move on. What you seem to be missing is the Steelers are an established team with a good reputation, the Bills aren’t there quite yet, it will be harder than you think to draw the big name talent here, and still resign those that we should money wise, I don’t think you have grasp on The Bills new management teams intentions. You seem to think one or to high dollar players will put us over the top, that ain’t the case at this moment. 

Go Bills!!!

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

DT might be the most overrated position in football after Left Tackle. We've had Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Ted Washington, and Pat Williams among a host of other very good interior DL and it got us exactly nowhere. To commit that kind of cap space to a position that won't win you a Super Bowl is just stupid when you can get guys like Jordan Phillips for a $4.5M cap hit.  

Ask the Jets and the Redskins how far it’s gotten them...

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Rams aren't letting him go. That is an absolute impossibility. If they trade him, Spotrac lists his dead cap at $41 mill. Some bit of that would be paid for by the team that picked him up, but a minimum of $32 mill dead cap would be on the Rams.

As for the Bills, they've got their 3-tech in Oliver, and much cheaper for the next four years. It just wouldn't make sense.

Yep. It’s almost as meaningful as discussing “Which QB would you swap for Josh Allen?”

Edited by mannc

Donald next Oliver would be disgusting but we’d have to give up multiple picks including a first. Ultimately I think the smart move is to re-sign Jordan Phillips to an incentive based deal. I’m not ready to back up the Brinks truck for Phillips, it has to be incentive based with certain guidelines that could trigger escalators in the contract that would pay out more money. It’s paramount to remember that hey, we have Oliver. DT isn’t a position I’d like a lot of money locked up in.

13 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Your still on KB & AB? the team has since moved on, AB is likely done In the league, so move on. What you seem to be missing is the Steelers are an established team with a good reputation, the Bills aren’t there quite yet, it will be harder than you think to draw the big name talent here, and still resign those that we should money wise, I don’t think you have grasp on The Bills new management teams intentions. You seem to think one or to high dollar players will put us over the top, that ain’t the case at this moment. 

Go Bills!!!

I don't want AB and 1 or 2 high dollar players at the right positions would absolutely put this team over the top.  

For example, Donald pushes the pocket into a QBs face while also providing a damn good pass rush.  Not to mention the double and triple teams he would draw.

Julio Jones impact, I don't even have to explain.

I know this isn't Madden and that these guys likely aren't targets and probably aren't available anyway, but to act like this team couldn't use them or that their impact would be negligible is crazy.

Edited by Chicken Boo

53 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't want AB and 1 or 2 high dollar players at the right positions would absolutely put this team over the top.  

For example, Donald pushes the pocket into a QBs face while also providing a damn good pass rush.  Not to mention the double and triple teams he would draw.

I know this isn't Madden and that these guys likely aren't targets and probably aren't available anyway, but to act like this team couldn't use them or that their impact would be negligible is crazy.

Like I said in my first retort, we would all love these guy on the team, but right now, and into the near future it is/was never gonna happen, the timing is wrong , the dollars are wrong, but mostly the timing, should the Bills continue to be a playoff team for another year, maybe two, then those types of players will want to come here, it’s a “process “ ?

Go Bills!!!

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Like I said in my first retort, we would all love these guy on the team, but right now, and into the near future it is/was never gonna happen, the timing is wrong , the dollars are wrong, but mostly the timing, should the Bills continue to be a playoff team for another year, maybe two, then those types of players will want to come here, it’s a “process “ ?

Go Bills!!!

Aaron Donald would come here if you pay him, this isn't the Buffalo Bills of 2009.  I'm not convinced that Beane will want to take a $20M+ cap hit in each of the next three years.  If he is indeed on the trade block, the acquiring team will have to cover his cap costs since I highly doubt the Rams will want to eat any of it.

7 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Aaron Donald would come here if you pay him, this isn't the Buffalo Bills of 2009.  I'm not convinced that Beane will want to take a $20M+ cap hit in each of the next three years.  If he is indeed on the trade block, the acquiring team will have to cover his cap costs since I highly doubt the Rams will want to eat any of it.

Wrong price, wrong timing, imo, that’s why the biggest names won’t be here this upcoming season, Beane will get good players, but at a better price, again, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Wrong price, wrong timing, imo, that’s why the biggest names won’t be here this upcoming season, Beane will get good players, but at a better price, again, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I tend to agree; doubt we see any Aaron Donald type acquisitions.  This team has too many missing pieces for one big FA splash, rather it needs more slightly smaller, blue chip acquisitions.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I dont know man.....Donald is of course awesome.....but dont we already have him in Ed Oliver (Who I expect to be even better in his 2nd year)

Now.....Julio Jones?  We DONT currently have that player on our team.....so yes....two if we can get theme.....speed and size with the ability to high point balls give me 2

It’s a no brainer to acquire him, until you consider how many draft picks you’re giving away. If it was a salary dump situation for one first rounder or mid to late round pick sure. This deal will require multiple 1’s along with other picks or players and that’s just not smart for our future. I like the odds of buffalo being better continuing to add impact players and replacements for aging veterans via the draft. They can still possibly land an impact player via a trade, I don’t think Beane would be scared to burn a first on an elite level player at this point. I feel like the rams know they’re in big trouble with the roster construction and trading Donald kinda restocks the cupboard for rookie contracts and up and coming players and gives them a little cap relief.