Aaron Donald Rumored to Be on Trade Block...Should The Bills Make a Move?

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They would have been better off if they were 3-13. How did going 7-9 so much work out for Bills all those years?  Or trading multiple first round picks work out?

Bottom line.  Bears are facing a tough road if Trubisky doesnt magically go from Crap to good next year.  They have a bad cap situation, guys they are likely going to lose soon because of it, and no premium picks to help fill those spots and also find a new QB.  

You dont mortgage your future on a defensive player when your QB is not settled...period.  It would be utterly stupid for the Bills to go get Donald, and I love Donald and watch him play all the time here in LA as Rams are my second team...distant second, but still my second team.  

We have a championship defense already and we just invested the 9th pick in the draft on a DT that is supposed to potentially compare to Donald to go along with a returning Horrible Harry and a likely resigned Jordan.  Trading for Donald would be as foolish as drafting Spiller 9th overall when we already had BOTH Lynch and Jackson on the roster.

This team is NOT a DT away from being a serious SB contender...it is however, a couple offensive weapons away from being one.  

For example...Jordan is second to only Donald in the NFL for sacks from a DT this year.  Swapping Donald in this year for Jordan would not at all change our record.  We did not lose any of our 5 games this year because we had Jordan and Oliver instead of Donald.  We did however lose multiple games because we couldn't score more points when our D held the opponent to a low score.  

Its utterly insane to trade picks and tie up the cap space for Donald right now.  We absolutely need to focus our draft assets and cap space heavy this offseason on the offense.  

Mortgage your future is the same chicken little melodrama. The only certainty in the NFL is that you’ll always get more picks.

If the Bills had sacked Brady one or two more times last game, we might have won. Let alone Donald’s game goes far beyond sacks. He’s disruptive in the run and pass game almost every play, not just when he gets home.

I don’t disagree that there are reasonable arguments to be made against acquiring Donald (if he was available even though honestly he probably isn’t). I just think we could easily afford him, and we probably won’t get a better player with pick #22 or #26 or #32. Elevating your defense from really good to incredible with a QB who makes plays in the clutch can be a title winning formula. The history of the NFL proves this.

Besides, how many times in the dark years did the Bills really trade their middle of the pack first round picks? Some of those guys were good and some weren’t but it’s not like any of them changed the future of the franchise. We have some good cornerstones in White, Allen, Oliver, Edmunds. It’s certainly possible our next pick is also a star. It’s also possible he’s a Shaq. Or a Spiller. Or a Maybin.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

How anyone is against getting Donald is beyond me. His contract right now is reasonable for the next 3 years and we would not have dead money issue if we had to cut him to save money since all signing bonus is paid by Rams. The big question is what will they be offered in return by another team- I doubt we are highest bidder but I would love him on our team.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Giving up a king's ransom for an aging DT with a huge contract is exactly what this team needs to get over the top.  Any other brilliant threads?

You just chose to describe AARON DONALD as "an aging DT with a huge contract". Let that sink in for a moment and then decide if it sounds reasonable or completely insane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Mortgage your future is the same chicken little melodrama. The only certainty in the NFL is that you’ll always get more picks.

If the Bills had sacked Brady one or two more times last game, we might have won. Let alone Donald’s game goes far beyond sacks. He’s disruptive in the run and pass game almost every play, not just when he gets home.

I don’t disagree that there are reasonable arguments to be made against acquiring Donald (if he was available even though honestly he probably isn’t). I just think we could easily afford him, and we probably won’t get a better player with pick #22 or #26 or #32. Elevating your defense from really good to incredible with a QB who makes plays in the clutch can be a title winning formula. The history of the NFL proves this.

Besides, how many times in the dark years did the Bills really trade their middle of the pack first round picks? Some of those guys were good and some weren’t but it’s not like any of them changed the future of the franchise. We have some good cornerstones in White, Allen, Oliver, Edmunds. It’s certainly possible our next pick is also a star. It’s also possible he’s a Shaq. Or a Spiller. Or a Maybin.

We need receivers, not a DT.

End thread.  

PS:  I love Donald and reserve the right to be excited if he ends up on the Bills.  But hope we don’t do it, it’s very unnecessary.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm thinking DT has become the new RB for Bills fans, lets see how many we can play at one time. We just drafted a DT 9th overall, were also wasting 11M a season on Star, spent a 3rd rounder on Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips will hopefully be getting Star's money next season. Were looking pretty darn good in the middle imo. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm thinking DT has become the new RB for Bills fans, lets see how many we can play at one time. We just drafted a DT 9th overall, were also wasting 11M a season on Star, spent a 3rd rounder on Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips will hopefully be getting Star's money next season. Were looking pretty darn good in the middle imo. 

The thing is, unlike RB where only 1 can have the ball, you can play as many impact DL as you like.

People can keep pooping on Star, he isn't going anywhere for at least another year. If they decide to keep Jordan, the money he likely gets when combined with Star would exceed what Donald makes.

Which would you rather have? 

Normally I’d say yes, but Tre White is gonna cost us a fortune (if we keep him, which we better!). And with a number of more big contracts we’ll have coming up in the next couple years, I guess I’d pass on Donald for now... 

Focus the $$$ on offense. 

1 hour ago, Clemfield2622 said:

The thing is, unlike RB where only 1 can have the ball, you can play as many impact DL as you like.

People can keep pooping on Star, he isn't going anywhere for at least another year. If they decide to keep Jordan, the money he likely gets when combined with Star would exceed what Donald makes.

Which would you rather have? 

We drafted Ed Oliver to be that guy, he's had a pretty good rookie season with ups and downs pretty much how I expected it to go but we know he can handle his own or at least in rotation along with Phillips and Phillips gives us a nice rotation none of which will exceed the 20+M contract of Donald. Tre White will need to be resigned and Allen will be getting a huge contract as well. Time to draft some pass rushers to make this defense complete whether that be at LB, DE or both but we need at least 2.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

What about him? I would want him too if it was rumored he was available. I wanted him last time he was

The Bills could have had him in the draft but chose Watkins instead. We could have had him for free. Why pay extra for him now??

On 12/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, BringBackOrton said:

The Bears are only missing their first round pick this year at this point. Hardly the albatross you claim.

"at this point" being the keys words. The point is their trade for Mack set them back.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but the Bears have got to move on from Mitch T next year..

Herbert won’t be there in the 2nd so they need to scape up some money for a Tannehill  or Cam Newton..

Newton or Tannenhll will not be available. Franchise QB's don't hit the open market.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:18 AM, thebandit27 said:

OMG yes.

Yes 1000 times.

Consistently the best defensive player in football, and he's under contract for a half-decade. Pair him with Ed and let them eat for the next 4 years.

Let Jordan walk and take the 3rd Rd comp pick.

Price is too high and he is too old.

1 hour ago, egd said:

The Bills could have had him in the draft but chose Watkins instead. We could have had him for free. Why pay extra for him now??

"at this point" being the keys words. The point is their trade for Mack set them back.

19-12 since trading for Mack. Prior to trading for Mack, 8-24. If the first record was a setback, what was the second? A catastrophe?