This is funny, Pat lineman moving the ball back 1/2 foot

Pokebball

1 hour ago, NoswayJose said:

Do y'all understand that where the ball is on the ground before refs touch it has no bearing on where the ball is spotted? Both Refs had different spots, but the line judges near the top of the pic was where the ball was ultimately placed

Edit to add that this happens a lot in close yardage games and is wishful thinking in general

It did though...

Do y'all understand that where the ball is on the ground before refs touch it has no bearing on where the ball is spotted? Both Refs had different spots, but the line judges near the top of the pic was where the ball was ultimately placed

Edit to add that this happens a lot in close yardage games and is wishful thinking in general

Yeah, I think we all do.  In the heat of a run, blocks and tackles, players are always fighting for those extra inches.  I get that too.

This was after all of the players walked away, then a Pat lineman leans down and moves the ball.  That's hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Yeah, I think we all do.  In the heat of a run, blocks and tackles, players are always fighting for those extra inches.  I get that too.

This was after all of the players walked away, then a Pat lineman leans down and moves the ball.  That's hilarious.

Funny yeah, but people reacting like six inches on one play decided the game when the defense couldn't get off the field and half of Josh's pass yards were gained on two plays 

?‍♂️

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would really like to see the whole football ball placement thing come out of the stone age and join the age of modern geospatial technology.

I mean, I grant that the refs are trained to spot where the ball is down.  But sometimes they simply can't see where the ball is when the player is down.  So they must make an educated guess.  Then they bring out these sticks and chains.

Just as going to VOIP on a dedicated frequency should have removed the whole "Pats Radio Broadcast on Mike Tomlin's Helmet" thing, having a position sensor in the ball (or possibly 2) and sensors at the goal line should be able to just take the whole ball position inaccuracy and skullduggery out of the equation.  We could stop challenging the spot of the ball, unless in the case of a positional malfunction.

It should be totally feasible.  The NFL piloted putting positional sensors in balls a couple years back and then dropped it (unless they quietly still have 'em and that's where the passing charts in NFL Nextgen Stats come from in which case WHY are we dealing with this stone-age stuff?)

The issue with that would be determining exactly when the player is down.

Funny yeah, but people reacting like six inches on one play decided the game when the defense couldn't get off the field and half of Josh's pass yards were gained on two plays 

?‍♂️

I think you're taking this thread too seriously.  I am impressed of your ability to crowbar JA into this thread.

Edited by Pokebball

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would really like to see the whole football ball placement thing come out of the stone age and join the age of modern geospatial technology.

I mean, I grant that the refs are trained to spot where the ball is down.  But sometimes they simply can't see where the ball is when the player is down.  So they must make an educated guess.  Then they bring out these sticks and chains.

Just as going to VOIP on a dedicated frequency should have removed the whole "Pats Radio Broadcast on Mike Tomlin's Helmet" thing, having a position sensor in the ball (or possibly 2) and sensors at the goal line should be able to just take the whole ball position inaccuracy and skullduggery out of the equation.  We could stop challenging the spot of the ball, unless in the case of a positional malfunction.

It should be totally feasible.  The NFL piloted putting positional sensors in balls a couple years back and then dropped it (unless they quietly still have 'em and that's where the passing charts in NFL Nextgen Stats come from in which case WHY are we dealing with this stone-age stuff?)

It would be a good idea, but the refs still have to determine the exact moment the runner is down.

You also have issues depending upon which way the ball is being held and where the sensors are located.

It could help a small bit, but unless you have sensors all over the players and the ball - you are still going to get bad spots.

I also noticed the Patriots' center move the ball forward at least a good foot or a foot-and-a-half pre-snap.  I mean, you see centers do this all the time, but it's usually just a few inches or so.  This could have the effect of backing defenders up by a foot fearing an encroachment penalty even though it was the center who created the new line-of-scrimmage with the ridiculous moving of the ball by 12 inches - crazy.  I don't recall what time during the game I noticed this, but it was super clear on at least that one down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/23/2019 at 12:44 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Enough with the fines.  Time for executions.

as long as they are similar to how Witches were once disposed of.and for public viewing  at the Town's center, Burning floggings tar and feather ending with a proper "see if he floats" trial.
 just impressive at the lengths they will go to. and what is acceptable behaviour from Refs via Krafty World.

Bellicheatsky certainly is one for attention to detail in these matters

12 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

That's actually pretty funny. I can't knock em for it if no one is doing anything about it lol

yep

they are  a f'n riot

I also noticed on one of Tom Bradys QB sneaks vs us......the center as he approached the line took the ball and moved it up a good 2 feet prior to the snap.  He snapped the ball a full foot or 2 forward from where it was spotted.

You better believe all these things are being taught too....1 of these advantages alone doesn't give you a huge edge, but when you add up all the capers they pull off on game day you get a big edge

26 minutes ago, Estro said:

I also noticed on one of Tom Bradys QB sneaks vs us......the center as he approached the line took the ball and moved it up a good 2 feet prior to the snap.  He snapped the ball a full foot or 2 forward from where it was spotted.

You better believe all these things are being taught too....1 of these advantages alone doesn't give you a huge edge, but when you add up all the capers they pull off on game day you get a big edge

two feet?  My goodness....that would put the ball a foot past the hands of the D... 

LOL!!!!

he adjusted the ball so the laces were on the preferred side

if you don’t know how football is played, please sit back and keep it to yourself...

Edited by row_33