Roster needs going forward and how they'll be filled: a style question

Free Agency (OWN)

Re-sign Jordan Phillips 

Re-Sign Shaq Lawson

Re-sign Quinton Spain

Give Tenders to McKenzie, Marlowe, Croom, Wallace, Foster

Let Spencer Long walk (deny Club Option)

Sign

Sign Yannick Ngakoue

Sign Jack Conklin

Draft

23 Laviska Shenault Jr., WR  Colorado

55 Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

87 J.K. Dobbins, RB Ohio State

119 Logan Stenberg, IOL Kentucky

139 Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC

150 Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech

171 Jonathan Garvin, EDGE Miami

182 Antoine Winfield Jr., S Minnesota (Just have to draft the Son of Antoine)

191 Baron Browning, LB Ohio State

Edited by MAJBobby

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Why not just move Felliciano to LG, Ford to RG, and just sign a FA RT while letting Spain leave? The kid has a year under his belt and experience at RG. Just making that swap improves the athleticism on the interior. 

IMO, because Spain is worth the 3 year contract. We've seen what leaving the Offensive Line on life support does for a team and signing him does not preclude you from Drafting another OL / LG in the mid rounds. The Bills have Cap room to pay their guys, get good FAs in and do their yearly maintenance on Draft picks and other value adds, ala Nsekhe.

Edited by BigBuff423

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As I see it, this team has four glaring needs in the following order:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

4) A RB to pair with Motor. Need more size and youth at this position.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

I'm not sure I'd give up on Ford just yet at RT.  I think he has improved quite a bit as the year has gone on.  He is still a rookie, people seem to forget that. Not all rookies can just step in and play at a Pro Bowl level, some take time to adjust to various nuances of the NFL game. I think with some offseason work and another training camp under his belt he might still be the answer.  

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

IMO, because Spain is worth the 3 year contract. We've seen what leaving the Offensive Line on life support does for a team and signing him does not preclude you from Drafting another OL / LG in the mid rounds. The Bills have Cap room to pay their guys, get good FAs in and do their yearly maintenance on Draft picks and other value adds, ala Nsekhe.

Fair enough. I dislike the idea of creating holes in the o line. I’m not so sure that Spain isn’t upgradable though. His lack of agility certainly rears it’s head a few times a game on screens, traps, d line stunts, and delayed blitzes. Spain is a good mauler, but I’m not sure he’s athletic enough to do exactly what Daboll wants. I’d replace him with Scherff in a heartbeat, but I’ll also entertain the idea that Ford is a cheaper and more athletic guard. 

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure I'd give up on Ford just yet at RT.  I think he has improved quite a bit as the year has gone on.  He is still a rookie, people seem to forget that. Not all rookies can just step in and play at a Pro Bowl level, some take time to adjust to various nuances of the NFL game. I think with some offseason work and another training camp under his belt he might still be the answer.  

I wish I shared your faith there. That would be EXTREMELY helpful going forward.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

You can't just go out and order a true #1. We tried with Watkins. There are maybe seven or eight of those guys in the league, and that means there's generally one or fewer of them coming in in any given year. They're a very rare breed.

In any case, that's not a need. It would be lovely, but it's not a need. Brown and Beasley are fine as our #1 and #2/slot. At WR they need another guy or two to upgrade the guys behind those two. Hopefully they can get someone who's a good player and maybe a bit complementary. The way they brought in Billy Brooks back in the old days. If one of the upgrades is good enough to be an upgrade for Brown, that'd be unlikely but terrific.

Nsekhe seems fine at RT. When he gets back from his injury, things will be better at RT. An upgrade? Not an absolute necessity, but yeah, that would be great too.

A pass-rushing DE? Agreed.

Another RB? Fair enough.

Another CB, probably.

I'd guess we address them all in FA, allowing us to truly go best player available in the draft.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They will give Ford another year at RT before they move him.  The more likely need on the oline is LG as I dont think they resign Spain.

LG, DE, WR, RB, OLB, CB, 

You build your lines through the draft.  Go get some combo on LG, DE, CB, RB in the first four rounds.  Sign Amari Cooper.

This is such a terrible idea.  It makes me sick inside.  If we let Spain go, moving ford to G is the correct move.  Unless he can improve his foot speed and instincts, he belongs inside.  The final 2 Offensive plays of the patriot game we’re all I needed to see.  Game on the line and he let his guy run right by him twice with minimal contact

55 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

After what I've seen in big games with Cooper, it's a hard pass.  He disappears in big games

Agreed.  Huge drops on 3rd downs too.  Seems always banged up as well.  No thanks, not for the kind of money he wants.  I wouldn’t want to give up 20% of our cap room on him

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You can't just go out and order a true #1. We tried with Watkins. In any case, that's not a need. It would be lovely, but it's not a need. Brown and Beasley are fine as our #1 and #2/slot. At WR they need another guy or two to upgrade the guys behind those two. Hopefully they can get someone who's a good player and maybe a bit complementary.

180% disagree.   WR1 is the top priority by far.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’d go all in on Cooper to wrap up WR.  We need production right away, no growing pains.

RT...either way will work, more likely to fill the need via FA though, I think.  We aren’t drafting high and we need to make sure that position is solidified.

DE...likely have to draft, unless you move Edmunds to the outside and use his rush skills more. That would allow you to get a run stuffer which you can do in the draft.

RB...either or. 

1 hour ago, Whitey13 said:

I'm not as sold on Cooper as a lot of fans seem to be. 

From the games I've watched with him and some scoreboard watching (which isn't great I know) he seems to have issues with drops and disappearing in games. I was watching the Eagles/Cowboys game last night and I don't really remember Cooper making much of an impact in a game the Boys really needed.

WRT Cooper... Most drops in the league...

Not sure that's what our team needs since we seem to have drops covered pretty well already.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

After what I've seen in big games with Cooper, it's a hard pass.  He disappears in big games

THANK YOU!!

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WRT Cooper... Most drops in the league...

Not sure that's what our team needs since we seem to have drops covered pretty well already.

No thanks

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

this is How I address these three positions.

WR - Draft 1st round (Laviska Shenault Jr)

DE - FA (Re-Sign Shaq Lawson, Sign One of Yannick Ngakoue, Bud Dupree or Matt Judon)

RT - Sign Jack Conklin

RB - Draft Zach Moss

I'd go get AJ Green. No time to wait on experience. Draft Jonathan Taylor. This guy only broke Adrian Peterson college record as freshman and Herschel Walker career record. Instant impact. Draft Denzel Mims later. AJ Green clone. Re-sign Shaq, Phillips guys. Nsekhe at RT, move Ford inside. Go after Austin Hooper and Vic Beasley in FA. Won't have to break the bank for either.

9 draft picks and close to 90 million in cap space with Bean steering the ship has me hopeful. This next offseason imo is where we make the final leap of building this thing. Here is what we need thru FA and the draft.

- A pound it with some break away speed RB

- Big WR with a large catch radius

- DE/edge rusher that can get after it

- OLB 

- Cornerback- Wallace and Johnsons aren’t good enough

- RT - Move Ford to guard

- Punter

- I am leaving FG kicker out as I feel Hauschka is back on track

- Resign Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson 

Go Bill

We all know this draft should be loaded with wrs. I like Shenault in the 1st or Pittman in the 2nd. Would love go after Jonathan Taylor if we wait for a 2nd round wr.  Ngakoue or Armstead are really the only quality young DE's worth signing. I would say goodbye to Spain and Immediately put Ford as my LG.  Leave Ty at RT and draft his replacement.  Levi needs to be upgraded so I'd use FA for that.  Extend Jordan as our starting 1tech. Release Trent and rotate Jerry/Shaq (smaller extension). You might have enough to sign Ngakoue, Cooper & a decent cb?

• Like (+1) 1

1) If not a #1, definitely an legit #2 with size and physicality to compliment Brown & Beasley

2) Agreed, Ford Belongs at Guard. He's in over his head at tackle

3) McD is big on rotational guys on the line, but a terroristic DE that can really get after the passer would give the line dominance

4) I like Gore but his time is up. We're going to need a younger power back with some speed to compliment Singletary.

2,and 4 we'll most likely get in the draft. 1 & 3 might be available in free agency unless Beane is willing to use draft assets to pull the trigger on a surprise trade.

3 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I also like A J Green but the way he bailed on his team not so sure Buffalo wants somebody like that

I dont want AJ Green because he's old and injured. However, he didnt bail on his team as much as his team bailed on him. The Bengals tanked by complete design, AND refused to extend him past this season. Both active decisions by the FO.

He knows he's older and injury prone now. There is no reason he should come back this season and risk ending his career just to help them clinch the #1 draft spot. And given how aggressively they went after the tank, I doubt they wanted him back anyways.

There are plenty more "physical" reasons to not want AJ Green before we worry about attitude.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

180% disagree.   WR1 is the top priority by far.  

We've got our #1. Brown is easily one of the top 25 in the league and that makes him a #1.

Yeah, we could use a "true number one," but they're very rare. People usually mean by that phrase a guy in the top 5 - 8 guys in the league. Those guys usually don't become available in FA and to have good odds of drafting one you'd better be in the top ten and hopefully the top five. More, when was the last SB-winner to have a "true number one" on the roster? You have to go back a ways.

You get an average of, what?, one a year coming into the league? If that's all you'll settle for, well, good luck. If that's a "need," it's one that's unlikely to be filled.

I agree we need to upgrade at WR. But a true number one is very unlikely to be found where we draft or in FA. I mean, yeah, you can get yourself an ex-true number one pretty often, but not often one who still deserves being called that. But a Billy Brooks level talent that punishes teams for doubling the John Browns and Cole Beasleys, that we could find. And if we get lucky he'll be a bit better than that.

Edited by Thurman#1

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/12/21/buffalo-bills-duke-williams-patiently-waits-turn/