Outcoached on both sides of the ball...and Edmunds sucked

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I do wish he was a more forceful tackler, but I also worry that his value at LB could take a hit if moved outside. He definitely affects the middle of the field versus the pass and he is decent to good against the run right now, so I'd hold off on a move switch at this stage. 

I'm hopeful that he'll gain more consistency and assertiveness against the run as time goes by.   

I'm not an Edmunds fan. I'll state it clearly from the start.

I'm also not an Edmunds hater. I want him to succeed and he seems like a good guy.

Pros: he calls a good defense, hard to dispute. For a guy who is 21 he had a lot thrown at him early, and has handled it well. He calls a nice game. He is also very athletic and has stunning size. He stays out of trouble and works like a professional. He is good in coverage.

Cons: He lacks any kind of MLB killer instinct. He is a stat compiler His tackles are weak, especially given his size. A lot of times he makes a play at or behind the line of scrimmage he is the 2nd or 3rd guy on the scene. His gap integrity is bad, his angles are bad, he gets swallowed up in the muck easily, he can't disengage from blockers. He lacks any kind of big play ability from this position. 2 FF, 3.5 sacks, 3 picks in 2 years is pretty weak for a 1st round draft pick at LB.

His best stat after collecting tackles 4+ yards down field is passes defended. 21 passes defended. That is excellent.

What LB position does best with a rangy tall guy, with good speed, and good coverage skills?

I would love to see Edmunds get time at the SAM position lined up over the TE next off season. Since the Bills mostly play zone line him up on the side with the #1 TE. I think he would be a match up nightmare manning the zone on the side of the TE. Get him away from the muck in the middle of the field. Let him get some blitz looks from the edge, where he can use that speed and length to be disruptive. Edmunds does not handle the muck in the middle well. He does well in coverage, that is not the hallmark of a MLB.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We have one of the lower payrolls in the NFL and we were going up one of the NFL's best teams and the game wasn't decided until the very end.   The game was not an unmitigated coaching disaster.  It just showed we might be a year away still - which is what many believe anyway.  With as much cap space as we have, next year's squad is likely to be better.  

If the OL blocked a little better...  if Allen was a little more accurate...  if the WRs got separation a little more often...   if the D tackled a little better...  we would  have won.  This was a hard fought, competitive one play game.  I'm not disappointed in our coaches.    

Coaches were way too conservative.

Defence refused to bring pressure and let Tom Brady pick them apart with 5-15 yard plays all game.

Offence has a 17-13 lead and then goes run, run, run, and then punt on 4th and inches.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm not an Edmunds fan. I'll state it clearly from the start.

I'm also not an Edmunds hater. I want him to succeed and he seems like a good guy.

Pros: he calls a good defense, hard to dispute. For a guy who is 21 he had a lot thrown at him early, and has handled it well. He calls a nice game. He is also very athletic and has stunning size. He stays out of trouble and works like a professional. He is good in coverage.

Cons: He lacks any kind of MLB killer instinct. He is a stat compiler His tackles are weak, especially given his size. A lot of times he makes a play at or behind the line of scrimmage he is the 2nd or 3rd guy on the scene. His gap integrity is bad, his angles are bad, he gets swallowed up in the muck easily, he can't disengage from blockers. He lacks any kind of big play ability. 2 FF, 3.5 sacks, 3 picks in 2 years is pretty weak for a 1st round draft pick at LB.

His best stat after collecting tackles 4+ yards down field is passes defended. 21 passes defended. That is excellent.

What LB position does best with a rangy tall guy, with good speed, and good coverage skills?

I would love to see Edmunds get time at the SAM position lined up over the TE next off season. Since the Bills mostly play zone line him up on the side with the #1 TE. I think he would be a match up nightmare manning the zone on the side of the TE. Get him away from the muck in the middle of the field. Edmunds does not handle it well. He does well in coverage, that is not the hallmark of a MLB.

Interesting take for sure.

I'm hoping Tremaine turns it on come playoff time and reestablishes confidence in him and his future at MLB.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's the greatest NFL coach of all-time and he also happens to cheat. He also has the greatest quarterback in history at his disposal.

Those three things have resulted in the single-greatest run in the history of professional sports in the United States.

Brady brought his A game yesterday. When that happens this Patriots team is so difficult for anyone to beat - especially at home.

Was yesterday the first game you watched this season? They haven't successfully executed a screen in all of 2019.

Brady didn’t bring his “A” game he brought his pathetic 42 year old man game and we chose to ignore the game plan that everyone else who has defeated him this year used. Pressure makes Tommy wilt and we never brought it it’s baffling to be honest, we never even tried once.,,

35 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

^^^ hates being 10-5 ???

Lol the process was 16-0. Anything less is a failure. Playoffs in 2 out of 3 isn’t good enough. I mean we’re clearly one and done this year we should just forfeit we can’t possibly get to a Super Bowl. 
Fire everyone and start over next year these guys don’t know how to build a team 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Very good post.  By now you'd think the NFL would know that to beat Brady you need to blitz up the middle.  But we just dropped everyone, again, wtf?!?!

The Offense was ok.  We stuck with the run, which is fine, but it just wasn't working.  Allen missed some open WRs, and for some reason on those read options, he never kept the ball even when it was there.  He also panicked on the one QB draw, didn't sell the draw, and missed a first down.    My only real complaint on the offense was.....where's the play action?  Where's the bootlegs??  Allen would be DYNAMITE on the bootleg.  That really should be a major part of our offense

No he just cheats.  

Despite all the rings they have this implies somehow they’ve been figured out. ? 

Never bothered to read the post but I don’t think we showed all our cards last night. JMO. If I was the McD  I wouldn’t want to show that team anything they could use against us in a possible playoff match.  This game was more important to the Pats because they are still playing for home field advantage.  They have been struggling on O lately and really trying to find an identity, we may have seen what they plan  on moving forward with. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's the greatest NFL coach of all-time and he also happens to cheat. He also has the greatest quarterback in history at his disposal.

Those three things have resulted in the single-greatest run in the history of professional sports in the United States.

Brady brought his A game yesterday. When that happens this Patriots team is so difficult for anyone to beat - especially at home.

Was yesterday the first game you watched this season? They haven't successfully executed a screen in all of 2019.

Except when they did.  I believe Cincy,?

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Up to this point, what I have gathered from the posts today:

1) Allen sucks

2) The Oline sucks

3) Allen sucks

4) Edmunds sucks

5) Allen sucks

6) The coaching sucks

7) Allen sucks

8.) The run defense sucks

9) The run game sucks

10) The receiving sucks

and

11) Allen sucks

Did I miss anything?

Kind of wondering how we made the playoffs...

Play calling sucks---but that would fall under #6 so I guess you got them all. Regarding the coaching & play calling----I don't know why these dam coaches don't listen to us here at TBD---we might be undefeated !!!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is just no sugar coating this loss. It is squarely on the coaches.

McD and Frazier have been so good the last month. But they choked and coached scared yesterday. Maybe they thought our front four could bring enough pressure.  Even if they did, by the second quarter it was obvious to everyone it wasn't working. Teams have beaten the Patriots by bringing pressure. Tom and that WR group are not to be feared. What is sad, is McD preaches learning from the past and getting better. He and Frazier are not when they face the most critical moments. This is entirely correctable.  

Edmunds was awful yesterday. I watched him almost exclusively on defense as the game wore on. Most of the run damage was straight at him.  Again the issue was recognition and angle to the ball. On the big screen play in the second half he is 8 yards down field trying to engage the linemen when he could have easily split between them and made a play on the runner. Awful instincts. Only two years and only 21 has been the excuse, but I'm starting to doubt he will ever be the star MLB he was drafted to be.

And on to Daboll.  He should be forced to watch the Patriots gameplan. Short passes and throwing to the running backs. Why is this such a hard concept? Or maybe he should be forced to watch SB XXV and see how Thurman almost beat Belichick single handed. Bills have Singletary (they should be using Yeldon too) and Beasley to do exaclty what Patriots did to them. Keep Hightower on the field by formation and then make him drop in coverage. I have no issue with the amount of run plays. A little more play action on first down would be nice. Josh did him no favors missing a few easy throws early but Daboll could have been better 

But rejoice, this is all fixable. They can get back to the fearless mode they played the last month.  And a playoff win on the road is still possible. 

This is good stuff.  Thanks.

I agree that the coaches weren't good enough, both in planning and game management.  

I don't agree about Edmunds.  I didn't watch him all the time, so I won't argue with what you saw.   But I've watched him enough this season to know that he already is an impact player, and I expect to see another jump next season.  He's smar and, hard-working, and there's no reason to believe he won't get better for another few years. 

I think Daboll is learning, too.   I don't think it's as simple as saying he needs a short passing game.   Belichick is a film mastermind.   He sees everything you've done with success and he makes it hard for you to do it against his team.   Preparing to play his defense means you have to come at them with things he hasn't seen before, and it can't just be simple variations on what you've been doing.   In other words, to beat Belichick's defense, you need a very good to great offensive coordinator.   Andy Reid is one of those, and that's why the Chiefs have pretty good success against him.  Daboll clearly isn't that guy today, but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be replaced.  One question is whether he's likely to grow into the guy McBeane want. If the answer to that is yes, they'll keep him.  If the answer is no, the question will be whether the right replacement is available.   McBeane will want someone who runs the same offensive scheme - they won't want to change.  That probably means they will want to promote someone from the staff.   I don't know if that guy is there.   If he isn't, I think they'll keep Daboll for another season and see how he does.  Maybe one more season will give McDermott the chance to groom an assistant on the staff to be ready to take over in 2021.  

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Brady didn’t bring his “A” game he brought his pathetic 42 year old man game and we chose to ignore the game plan that everyone else who has defeated him this year used. Pressure makes Tommy wilt and we never brought it it’s baffling to be honest, we never even tried once.,,

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

Edmunds doesn’t suck. Tom Brady is the most successful quarterback of all time. He won his first Super Bowl before Edmunds was in kindergarten. Do you really think that Tom Brady - who has faced multiple Hall Of Fame middle linebackers - couldn’t manipulate the situation via play calls, motion, blocking schemes, and just plain black magic to cause Edmunds to be less than dominant? Tom has seen and sees everything. Edmunds is still emerging from his chrysalis. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree. Not one screen called all game. Only one WR end around that Feliciano blocked very poorly 

Agree. Play action and bootlegs. They called one sprint roll out to TE that Allen threw a terrible ball and then the one in the endzone before the half. Watch Seattle today, they will call no less than 6.

Watch how Houston beat them with RB out of the backfield in pass patterns.  Linebackers couldn’t cover.  We didn’t even try

• Thank you (+1) 1