If you could swap QBs with any team right now

Max Fischer

10 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I think a helpful way to evaluate Josh Allen, his progress to date and his potential for the next few years is to determine which QBs you would swap for right now. 

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Russell Wilson

That's probably it.  Yes, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are great but they are 42, 40 and 36.  With Josh, I believe the Bills are in a pretty good spot at QB. He "might" not get any better but over the past two season there is a lot of evidence he will continue to improve. No idea if he will lead the Bills to a Super Bowl over the next three years but I like our chances with Josh than any other QB but the three above. 

It iss hard to put everything on the QB.  Currently, all those teams have good playmakers surrounding the QB.  We are still finding those pieces. 

Watson benefits from a 3-way monster at the WR position and so does Mahomes.  Lamar Jackson makes a  1-2 punch in thee running game that has helped him with the passing game.  And they all appear to have some of the best OL in football. 

The BIlls need to surround Josh Allen with more talent.  2019 was a good start with SingletaryKnox and Brown/Beasley.  Need another WR and RB and of course OL help

I'm going to take this question seriously and rephrase it a bit. When you factor in age/years under team control/salary (or expected salary), which QBs are the most valuable assets in the NFL right now? We also have to take into account how rare it is for an established franchise QB to change teams, so having that guy is more critical than it might seem based only on results vs. cost vs. years of team control:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

[big gap]

3. Kyler Murray. Don't get angry. He's got one year of team control over Allen, and watching today, he just plain gets it (along with his athletic talent)

4. Russel Wilson. Huge contract, but if anything, he's outperforming it. And showing no signs of slowing down.

5. Watson. He'd be higher, but he's about to get really expensive.

6. Allen? 

I can't think of any other guy to clearly put higher on the list, although you could (still) make a good argument for Mayfield or Darnold.

Upward trend watch: Drew Lock. Yep. Elway may have finally gotten one right.

Mahomes

Watson

Wentz

Wilson

*IF WE ARE BUILDING FOR THE NEXT 5-10 YEARS

the thing we need to realize is that if we are talking about trading right now today? we could trade for almost 10-15 guys who would put us in a position to win the Super Bowl this year

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’d exchange Jamis Winston and Lamar Jackson with eachother if I could do any swap.

would really help the bills in the playoffs 

Wouldn’t hurt if you’re asking the opposing QB to pick up the main course for dinner, either.

?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

We really need to leave Brady out of those comparisons....won the SB in his 2nd year on the roster, 1st year starting....and also won 2 more out of the next 3.......

The point was not that Allen is going to become the greatest qb of all time but that even the greatest qb of all time was not a finished product in the first few years as a starter. Brady made plays when counted on but the early Patriot teams relied more on defense and running the football. It was not until 2005 that Brady threw for over 4,000 for the first time. He was basically a 3600 yard passer with 26-28 tds before they started relying more and more on Brady’s arm to where he could throw for 5,000 and 50 tds in 2007. The fact is the Patriots did not put everything on Brady in his first few years and only later ran the offense threw him when he had proven he could handle that responsibility. 

Right now, the coaching staff tries to protect Allen and they rely heavily on their defense. They are very conservative on offense until they need Allen to make a play and then they let him loose. At the end of games and 3rd and long situations they allow Allen to open in up and cut it loose a little more and generally he has shown that he is able to make 3rd and longs at a high rate and he moves the ball effectively in 2 minute situations. I think the coaching staff will continue to shift responsibility on Allen as he shows he can handle it. Nobody knows where his ceiling is at but I’m optimistic he can be a top 5 qb in this league when it is all said and done. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Mahomes

Watson

Wentz

Wilson

*IF WE ARE BUILDING FOR THE NEXT 5-10 YEARS

the thing we need to realize is that if we are talking about trading right now today? we could trade for almost 10-15 guys who would put us in a position to win the Super Bowl this year

Those would be my top four for long term viability although I'd take Wilson before Wentz.  I know for a fact with the right team around them they can lead the franchise to multiple Superbowls.  I'm not convinced we can do that with Allen yet so I'd rather take the sure thing.  Lamar looks incredible but I don't think you can succeed long term running as often as he does.

I'd swap him out for Nate, Tyrod, JP, Trent, or EJ etc etc . Oh wait, nah I think I'll just be happy with the fact that the Bills finally got a good young QB. The last time that happened was 1986 and I was 15 yrs old, so most of my adult Bills fan cheering life. Go Josh!!

8 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

QBR:

Mahomes 77.7  That is 2nd in the NFL

Joe Flacco 48.6

Josh Allen 48.5  

I am SURE I'd take Allen over Flacco, but the QBR isn't digging Josh.

Who digs the QBR??  

• Haha (+1) 1