Is There a Chance McD Threw the Game Yesterday?

Irv

as much as i really want to laugh my ass of at this idea, it sounds much better than to think that McD and Fraiser missed the mark that badly on their defensive game plan against the pats.   the game plan was much better week 4 and im of the opinion our D is better than it was then.  Our pass rush didnt even come into fruition until the second half of the season yet we got good pressure on brady in week 4.   play Ne like we played balt on D and we win that game.  

18 hours ago, WhoTom said:

"Throwing" the game implies intentionally losing. No, he didn't throw the game.

However, if you think of it like a poker game, the first few hands aren't necessarily played to win, they're played to get a feel for your opponent. That way, you can cash in big in later hands. In that respect, it's very possible that McD, knowing that a win yesterday was unlikely to change the Bills' overall playoff status, didn't want to show too much of his hand. That doesn't mean he didn't try to win the game, just that he tried to win it with a less flashy game-plan - a plan similar to the one that beat the Steelers the week before.

I agree with this being a possibility , but all the miss tackles and losing the line of scrimmage on BOTH sides ( IMO ) was a BIG reason for us losing this game , I hope this will get fixed moving forward 

GO BILLS!!!

19 hours ago, WhoTom said:

"Throwing" the game implies intentionally losing. No, he didn't throw the game.

However, if you think of it like a poker game, the first few hands aren't necessarily played to win, they're played to get a feel for your opponent. That way, you can cash in big in later hands. In that respect, it's very possible that McD, knowing that a win yesterday was unlikely to change the Bills' overall playoff status, didn't want to show too much of his hand. That doesn't mean he didn't try to win the game, just that he tried to win it with a less flashy game-plan - a plan similar to the one that beat the Steelers the week before.

Yes.

I think also, McDermott may not have fully gotten to grips yet with the full Foxborough experience, as laid out by Marc Sanchez (starting about :40).  Sanchez ought to know.  He's one of the few QB this century who has gone into Foxborough with playoff implications or for a playoff game and come out with the win. 

In addition to the stuff he mentions which may be less easy due to NFL change to VOIP equipment on a dedicated FCC frequency, there's crap we saw Saturday like the play clock continuing to run after incompletions on our final drive.  Constant shifting the spot of the ball to favor the Pats by a couple hands.  Messing up down and distance on the scoreboard.  Booing an injured player (Morse)  The stuff his players probably won't tell him like the way they'll go dirty after the QB any time they feel it's hidden from the ref (like on a designed run).  I'm sure all teams do this some, it's Football, the Pats make an art form out of it.

You can not win in Foxborough with the same conservative game plan that did the job in Pittsburgh.  You have to come prepared to fold them in half and go for their throat.

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

McDermott sprinting down the sideline to call a timeout faster and farther than any head coach I've ever seen was a good way to sell his going through the motions game plan.

Man, that guy can still move! 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Man, that guy can still move! 

He's in great shape and obviously works out.

Not positive, but think he also practices, when he can, some mad man fighting/defense skills.

The guy puts his heart into whatever he does.

Edited by I am the egg man

I hope they were holding back on defense. Cover1 and a few other people were talking about how NE has struggled a bit when the defense runs a diamond front and stunts and blitzes. I was inebriated and can't bring myself to re-watch the game, but I remember very little creativity up front on defense. I hope that was McDermott holding back, because I wanted them to be much more aggressive considering the lack of weapons on NE.

I also hope they finally figured out that Josh is much better when the field is spread out in 11 personnel. I know it puts some pressure on the front 5 when the defense brings heat, but bringing it DiMarco or Smith isn't helping. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1

No i don't think he threw the game there may be some head scratchers as far as why did Gore only go in on 2 plays & never carry the ball & WHY THE HELL IS DUKE ON THE BENCH INACTIVE ??

But besides those things i don't think he threw the game !! 

How did he game plan for so many missed tackles? Burkhead broke two for the go ahead TD. That was just poor execution on the players part. 

I was thinking perhaps they were flat because they knew they were the 5th seed unless a miracle happened  so the lack of focus led to missed tackles and taking poor angles?

all a guess game is over and the Bills have had a damn good year and I am predicting they beat the Texans in the wildcard round. 

I wish the OP hadn't said "throw the game," because that's obviously something McDermott would never do. 

I think it's fair to argue whether he held back and how much. Teams don't show their entire deck of cards every game. Pretty much every coach, every game holds a thing or two to their chest to save for the future, that is until the playoffs.

Hell, I hope they've been putting the hard counts on 4th down to try and get people to jump only to take a TO or delay on film, just so later they can have Josh hard count a time or two and then actually run a play and catch the other team off guard. Everyone and their mother assumes they aren't going for it after he hard counts two separate times in this scenario, you have to think the defense is relaxing just a little bit at that point.