Is There a Chance McD Threw the Game Yesterday?

Irv

A lot of talk about a plane Jane gameplay.  Is there a chance McD put in a very basic game plan to not show his hat because he knows NE won't lose to Miami, the AFC East title was not going to happen, and he thinks we will play the Pats in the playoffs?  

Sincerely,

I Need to Get a Life.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think he ‘threw’ the game as much as tried to win with a very simple defensive plan. Yes, McD is the type to not show all his cards in a game that wouldn’t have any standings relevance. Brady and the Patriots have been an atrocity for 2 years now vs the blitz, rushing 4 all game just isn’t the way to play them any more.

IF they play again this year, you will see a very different defensive formula. And a different defensive outcome. Book it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will say that maybe the Bills said hey let’s see if we can win straight up with this gameplan without throwing the sink at it. I don’t think the game was thrown per say but I could see where they might hold some things back in the playoffs particularly if they see the Patriots again. 

I mean they prob knew that the Patriots weren’t going to lose at home to the Dolphins so they prob knew win or lose they’d be the 5 seed

• Like (+1) 2

We all agree that NE losing to Miami was far fetched....but thinking we played vanilla in case we meet NE later in the playoffs is silly IMO...the odds of the Bills playing NE in the tournament are even more remote than them losing to the fish....KC at home is NOT losing to Pitt or whoever is the #6 seed....

• Like (+1) 2

If McD is the great leader of this team that he appears to be, and one to galvanize the locker room, get the most out of his players... then, how would this play in the locker room? If his players knew he was deliberately not giving them the best chance to win against the Patriots, wouldn’t he be destroying everything he has built over the last few years?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

If McD is the great leader of this team that he appears to be, and one to galvanize the locker room, get the most out of his players... then, how would this play in the locker room? If his players knew he was deliberately not giving them the best chance to win against the Patriots, wouldn’t he be destroying everything he has built over the last few years?

Maybe the coaches told the players.

"Throwing" the game implies intentionally losing. No, he didn't throw the game.

However, if you think of it like a poker game, the first few hands aren't necessarily played to win, they're played to get a feel for your opponent. That way, you can cash in big in later hands. In that respect, it's very possible that McD, knowing that a win yesterday was unlikely to change the Bills' overall playoff status, didn't want to show too much of his hand. That doesn't mean he didn't try to win the game, just that he tried to win it with a less flashy game-plan - a plan similar to the one that beat the Steelers the week before.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Not a single trick play or wrinkle on offense and defense.

I'd call the tackle-eligible TD pass a trick play.

16 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

My wifes name is Jane and shes offended

Is she also a flight attendant? Plane Jane?

• Haha (+1) 3