This one was on the defense folks

BillsBlue

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

Seriously? The D was on the field 2/3 of the game because they gave up 2 11 play drives (14:06) and one 17 play drive (8:58) and couldn't get off the field. The fact is that  on 5 or more play drives the Pats had 6 and the Bills had 5. So what part of the 2 11 play drives and the one 17 play drive did the offense have?

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

They scored 17 points 

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

This gets fixed in the offseason IMO via draft and free agency.   Offense not scoring enough points for Bills to be a top 5 team.   Not sure what they will bring in, but based on the history they will bring people in. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Nope. It's on Allen. Be honest, you can't rely on the D every single game and when your QB can't hit Knox in the end zone on the same throw the GOAT did moments earlier to tie the game, that's not the D's fault, it's Allen's. Can't blame the D every time they lose to shield the offense from criticism. The offense is putrid more often than not. The running game is weak. The OL is unathletic, leaving this team unable to ever run a screen, which you watch other teams like, oh I don't know, every team yesterday. And the WR position needs a legit lengthy receiver. But all of that doesn't overcome the reality that execution by Allen cost them the game, period. Too many here won't criticize the kid. He's shown major improvement in a lot of areas, but those 3-4 misses a game will continue to come back and haunt them and the Knox miss, that a high schooler can make, cost them a tie and possible win.

You have to be joking! Allen 2 TD 0 INT, a passer rating of 102.7, no turnovers, got first downs with his desire and legs and its on him? You are unbelievable. D gives up 414 yds, 38 minutes of possession, 24 points, many many missed tackles and whiffs, no pics, and you want to lay it on Allen? Unbelievable. How many hundreds of throws that a high schooler might make are missed each week by NFL QBs? Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

We are further along than we should be, but not where we want to be, which is both exciting and frustrating at the same time. We really have to keep the big picture in mind which is we are at least one and probably two seasons from super bowl contention if things continue to progress. 

On D, we were out coached by McDaniels, outmuscled on the line, and the poor tackling didn't help. I sure hope that was a vanilla D by design because I was not impressed.

On O, everyone knows what we are. Josh needs more polish and needs to get rid of the early game yips. I was discouraged by his poor mechanics which is why he missed some easy throws. I was encouraged by his leadership, his ability to move on from poor plays, his ball protection, and he hit two deep throws with touch! We were outmuscled on the line again, and they keyed in Singletary and took him away. 

No moral victories, I friggin hate that team with a passion and their fans too. Simply put, they are still the better team and we aren't there yet.

I think we have some revisionist history going on as to the defenses performance. People would have signed up for Allens 2 TDS and 0 TOs before the game, not to mention 102.7 Rating against a team that has been giving opponents nothing, 49.8 QBR 12.9 ppg. The dye was cast early in the game with a game plan that allowed NE to methodically win third downs and control the clock. People are being way to kind to the defense. They didn't do what we expected going in, as to the offense it would have been nice to put up 27 against the #1 defense. But, as I said, people would have signed on for the Allen performance before the game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It was a total team loss. The defense was gashed and the offense was inept.

So the offense scored 17 points against the  #1 defense and had over 300 yards of offense. I guess "inept" has a very high bar. I would have thought inept was reserved for sub 200 yard offenses that score less than 10. Now I know....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

that 3 and out was entirely on Daboll/McDermott  They come out and run two consecutive handoffs into a 8 man box when it was obvious the O line was getting manhandled  Bend but dont break is the worst defense to play against a offense built on executing he small ball like the Patriots are  Coaching staff again got worked by the Pats

23 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Seriously? The D was on the field 2/3 of the game because they gave up 2 11 play drives (14:06) and one 17 play drive (8:58) and couldn't get off the field. The fact is that  on 5 or more play drives the Pats had 6 and the Bills had 5. So what part of the 2 11 play drives and the one 17 play drive did the offense have?

The part where the defense got no rest in between drives because the O couldn't stay on the field. 

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Can you imagine how good this offense would be if Dabol could get get this team to execute screens and call RB flares?  We are literally the worst team in the NFL at executing a damn screen play - it’s maddening!

screens will be few and far between with our QB. Why?  He has mobility meaning there is a spy looking right into the backfield at all times. Meaning trying to beat with a screen is next to impossible. 

that is the nature of having a running QB. 

10 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

So the offense scored 17 points against the  #1 defense and had over 300 yards of offense. I guess "inept" has a very high bar. I would have thought inept was reserved for sub 200 yard offenses that score less than 10. Now I know....

Yes, now you know. You’re welcome.

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

Our defense gave up 414 yards, 6.1 per play, NE was 7-14 on 3rd down 1-2 on 4th down, NE also had an 11 play 7:26 minute drive for 75 yards, a 17 play 8:58 minute drive for 81 yards, an 11 play 77 yards 6:40 minute drive and total time of possession 38:52 and people want to blame Allen and the offense for this loss when they had the lead late then drove the field on the last drive to try and tie it because the defense sucked again letting NE get the lead. Really!

I couldn't have said it any better ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The part where the defense got no rest in between drives because the O couldn't stay on the field. 

Oh so you mean that after the D gave up the 17 play 8:58 drive because they didn't do their job  and couldn't get off the field the offense didn't bail them out and give them enough time to catch their breath? and on the other two 11 play drives the offense didn't bail them again and again? I get it blame the offense. Wow.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I know people think the defense was on the field too long but I mean, look at NE** 2nd and 3rd drive:

2nd Drive - 11 plays; 7:26

3rd Drive - 17 plays; 8:11(started inside the 1)

At that point the Bills had had the ball twice scored 3 points and went 3 and out. The defense had been on the field for over a a quarter of football. If they were tired, it was their own doing.

Exactly 

8 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Oh so you mean that after the D gave up the 17 play 8:58 drive because they didn't do their job  and couldn't get off the field the offense didn't bail them out and give them enough time to catch their breath? and on the other two 11 play drives the offense didn't bail them again and again? I get it blame the offense. Wow.

The offense deserves some of the blame. I am not saying the defense is blameless. 

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

This was a very well rounded loss.  The O left points on the field -Allen missing Knox for two TDs on both the first and last drives of the game, that's 11 points, enough to win the game.  Also missing other open/easy completions on 3rd down killed drives. 

We were up 17-10 at one point and the D gave up 3 long drives allowing the cheaters to score 14 points.  17-13 then 17-16 then 17-22 then 17-24 on the 2 point conversation.  For a defense first team that's just unacceptable.

The refs did everything in their power to give the cheaters a W.  In the first half the Refs ignored multiple cheater penalties, moving them down the field, then giving them a first down when they were short of the line to gain, ON FORTH DOWN.  This drive resulted in a FG.  THE REFS GAVE THOSE CHEATERS 3 POINTS.  THE CHEATERS DID NOTHING TO EARN IT. 

The Allen facemask = refs hoping the eliminate the Bills on 4th down.  The no-call on Gilmore's PI = the refs killing a Bills drive.  There's more that I won't rehash, you get the idea.  

Spot on. D plays better, tackles better, we win. Josh hits a few open passes and avoids bonehead sacks, we win. You can't go 3 and out twice with the game on the line and a tired D. . First down play calling was brutal and predicable.

• Like (+1) 1