First down play calling

cage

Was anyone else bothered by Daboll's atrocious first down play calling?  Even into the 4th quarter he kept running Singletary between the tackles nearly every drive start and most first down plays.  I'm not sure any of them yielded more than 2 yards and they mostly ended up in 2-9 or 2-10.  He just wouldn't change it up.  Every time they lose, my first culprit is unimaginative play calling...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have been saying the same thing for a while.  I could find quotes of me on this forum saying it.   The offense stinks for many reasons, and first down straight-ahead runs is one of them.  

The apparent lack of outlet receivers if there is a blitz is another head scratcher.  I don’t know which it is, either the play design doesn’t include a hot receiver, or Josh isn’t processing fast enough.  

I did have an issue with this as well and it's been that way going back to the Cleveland game. The play that bugged me the most was the designed QB run on first and goal on the last drive. We wasted a down with that. Granted the playcall to Knox was good and Allen overthrew him, but we seem to waste a play or two down in the redzone every game and it bothers me.

Edited by GRHater69
  • Like (+1) 1

From my perspective, it was the extrordinary excellent play calling by the Patriots that exasperates our offensive game execution. Not only did the Pats Oline dominate, New England play calling seem to have our "D" off balance the entire game.

41 minutes ago, cage said:

Was anyone else bothered by Daboll's atrocious first down play calling?  Even into the 4th quarter he kept running Singletary between the tackles nearly every drive start and most first down plays.  I'm not sure any of them yielded more than 2 yards and they mostly ended up in 2-9 or 2-10.  He just wouldn't change it up.  Every time they lose, my first culprit is unimaginative play calling...

Actually look at the first down plays and you will see that you are totally and completely wrong, but why should that matter.

For the games on first down the Bills ran 10 times and dropped back to pass 11 times (one was a sack).  So they actually passed more on first down than ran.  Whoops.

In addition - the run mix yielded 4 runs on first down of 5 yards or more and 5 runs of 1 yard or less. 

I am not sure what you expect, but considering they had good balance on 1st down plays between run and pass and considering half of the 1st down runs were for over 3 yards - why should he go away.  Yes it would be great if the 5 carries of 1 yard or less went away, but before the play you do not know which plays are going to work and which are not and the facts remain Daboll called a very balanced and did not fall into an unimaginative place - you are just clouded by a faulty memory of the game.

Dabol there is this play that many NFL teams run especially those that like to run the football ITS CALLED PLAY ACTION!   Ever hear of it?   Many of the big plays NE had on offense were results fo well executed play action pass.  We never tried a play action all day nor do I recall many all year.  We either go in I formation and run between tackles or spread and do these RPO's

26 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually look at the first down plays and you will see that you are totally and completely wrong, but why should that matter.

For the games on first down the Bills ran 10 times and dropped back to pass 11 times (one was a sack).  So they actually passed more on first down than ran.  Whoops.

In addition - the run mix yielded 4 runs on first down of 5 yards or more and 5 runs of 1 yard or less. 

I am not sure what you expect, but considering they had good balance on 1st down plays between run and pass and considering half of the 1st down runs were for over 3 yards - why should he go away.  Yes it would be great if the 5 carries of 1 yard or less went away, but before the play you do not know which plays are going to work and which are not and the facts remain Daboll called a very balanced and did not fall into an unimaginative place - you are just clouded by a faulty memory of the game.

Maybe he’s talking about the 3 drive starts after we took the lead. 3 drive starts. 3 runs. 5 yards combined. Why should that matter?

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Maybe he’s talking about the 3 drive starts after we took the lead. 3 drive starts. 3 runs. 5 yards combined. Why should that matter?

Even if he is talking about that (which he is not) - let’s be fair.  3 runs for 5 yards is partially accurate as one run was for 4 yards - a perfectly fine drive start.  The other two were bad.  

You also need to consider that during one of these drives on first down after a conversion - we had an 11 yard run.  

So after taking the lead on first down we ran the ball 4 times for 16 yards is that fair to say?

You can also consider the fact that on the other first down plays we threw 2 incompletions and got a 5 yard penalty.

So it is not like passing on 1st and ten got you into 2nd and short.

I don't believe the grumbling about First Down play calling is supported by what actually happened.  Source: Plays

As you can see below, of the 22 plays on 1st down the Bills ran Singletary eight times, and 5 of those sets resulted in a 1st down. Not every situation is the same but using the information below there is a good deal of variety in the first down play calling, all of which resulted in varying amount of success.  

As for the two "conservative" first two possessions with a 17-13 lead: with the relative success of running Singletary on 1st down, especially compared to all other first down plays, it's not unreasonable to expect a similar rate of success.  The initial possession was midway through the 3rd quarter, with plenty of game to go. I don't think there is evidence this was a "conservative" play, as it wasn't much different from the rest of the game and almost resulted in a first down.  Again, on the next possession at the beginning of the 4th, it was a handoff out of the shotgun, a play the Bills have had just as much success as a pass play.  It didn't work, but it was hardly "conservative" play calling.  

1 - Singletary run for 7 yards (Set resulted in a 1st down)

2 - Brown 3 on sweep (FG)

3 - DS 7 yards (1st)

4 - 14 yards to Beasley (1st)

5 - Incomplete to Knox (punt)

6 - DS 1 yard (punt)

7 - Incomplete to Beasley (punt)

8 - Incomplete to Brown (1st)

9 - Pass to Beasley 9 yards (1st)

10 - Goal line (TD on second down) 

Second Half

11 - Pass 28 yards to Beasley (1st)

12 - Pass - Sacked -12 yards (punt) 

13 - 1 yard DS (1st)

14 - Minus 3 DS (TD)

15 - DS 4 yards - Punt

16 - DS one yard - Punt

17 - DS no gain - 1st

18 - Incomplete Brown (1st)

19 - Allen 11 yard run (1st)

20 - Deep incomplete to Foster (1st)

21 - Allen 8 yard run (penalty)

21 - Pass 25 yards to Beasley (1st)

22 - Allen run loses one yard (end game)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

I was ok. In fact felt that we didn't run more.   Singletary was getting 5-7 yards on those 1st downs.

I hate the majority of what McD and Daboll do on offense. 

You can blame Daboll all you want but you need to put blame on McD as well. 

because what goes on with this offense also predates Daboll so if you cannot put proper blame on McD as well you are not being genuine. 

I absolutely HATE the shell this team goes into when they get a lead. After the go ahead TD we got a quick three and out. Then what happened on offense they go into their conservative shell. 

keep their damn foot on the gas. Believe in Allen. Notice how Arians with Winston never took the ball out of his hands with all the picks he threw. 

Guess what McD this game showed your defense will break. 

it almost cost us in Pitt doing their same thing killing the ball at half when you had 2 minutes and 3 timeouts because you are scared to actually allow your QB (one you traded up for) to put a game on his shoulders.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Dabol there is this play that many NFL teams run especially those that like to run the football ITS CALLED PLAY ACTION!   Ever hear of it?   Many of the big plays NE had on offense were results fo well executed play action pass.  We never tried a play action all day nor do I recall many all year.  We either go in I formation and run between tackles or spread and do these RPO's

They do it all the time.  And, play action is not effective if you don't actually run the ball.  I think one of the problems is that Allen doesn't do a very convincing fake, unlike Brady. Man, some of those were difficult to tell who had the ball.

34 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

Would love to see the stats for the first 10-12 plays that are scripted - seems to me we always start slow and Daboll makes decent adjustments(sometimes). I feel like his game plans going into a game hardly ever work

remember his genius gameplan of 18 straight pass plays vs the jets like he has prime Peyton Manning back there. 

Allen won't become a franchise QB under Daboll and his embarrassing offense. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I hate the majority of what McD and Daboll do on offense. 

You can blame Daboll all you want but you need to put blame on McD as well. 

because what goes on with this offense also predates Daboll so if you cannot put proper blame on McD as well you are not being genuine. 

I absolutely HATE the shell this team goes into when they get a lead. After the go ahead TD we got a quick three and out. Then what happened on offense they go into their conservative shell. 

keep their damn foot on the gas. Believe in Allen. Notice how Arians with Winston never took the ball out of his hands with all the picks he threw. 

Guess what McD this game showed your defense will break. 

it almost cost us in Pitt doing their same thing killing the ball at half when you had 2 minutes and 3 timeouts because you are scared to actually allow your QB (one you traded up for) to put a game on his shoulders.  

he plays not to lose both on offense and defense  It is frustrating to watch  The 3 and out after we took a 17-13 lead was the turning point  Bills had some momentum going and we go 1950's football for three downs and give the Pats the ball right back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I always wonder why teams don't pass more on 1st down. Don't you want to take the risk when you know you still have 2-3 more chances if it doesn't work out? It's like the first serve in tennis - they give it everything they've got in the hope of smashing an ace down the line, knowing that they get another chance if they miss. If they miss, they tone it down on the second serve so they get the ball in play.