Tough loss but I'm over it

Dan Darragh

Like everyone else, I HATE HATE HATE losing to the Patriots, and my stomach was in knots for the whole game (although this week I didn't cover my eyes when the FG team was on the field).

BUT....

1. If the most important thing is winning in the playoffs, then a loss yesterday means we can rest our starters for some or all of the Jets game and give the guys who are banged up an extra week to recuperate.

2. If we had won and needed Miami to win in NE next week, what would we do if the Patriots are winning by 17 at halftime?  Pull the plug on the Jets game and get ready for the playoffs? What if the Patriots are up by 3 at halftime?  You still KNOW that they're going to do what they almost always do...

3. Lots of criticism here about the plain vanilla game plan but it may have been smart not to put too much on tape for playoff teams to study.  Don't forget that we may be back in Foxborough in a few weeks. The only wrinkle was the tackle-eligible play to Dawkins but the world has seen that one already.

Going in I felt that it was an ideal situation: nothing to lose and everything to gain, play your hearts out but keep focused on the long picture.  As it turns out, we escaped the game without serious injuries (except maybe Morse) and if certain players needed to lay an egg it was as good a time as any.

On to Houston!!  

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Like (+1) 3

After sleeping on it overnight and thinking it over I've got to agree.  Winning this game would have made a statement and provided an emotional charge to the team and the fans but in the grand scheme of things winning this game was probably just as important as winning the first pre-season game back in August.  Unless half the the Patriots team is missing I don't believe for one second that Miami has any chance of going into Foxboro next Sunday and pulling off the upset.  Win or lose the most likely scenario is they're locked into the 5 spot. 

To make it to the Super Bowl the Bills need to beat 3 of the 4 division champs starting with Houston and New England might be one of them.  The Bills played a pretty vanilla game on both sides of the ball.  Was it done with any purpose?  Who knows for sure but why show them anything new?  Right now it looks like the Patriots are just a little bit better than the Bills.  In both games the Bills had red-zone chances late to change the outcome of the game but failed.  Maybe its they have a slightly better RB group, maybe its because of Brady's experience vs.  Allen's experience?  Maybe its something else but the Bills have closed the gap and expectations should be they move past the Patriots next season and take the division.  Anything less would be a let down.

The Jets game means nothing to the standings right now.  I'd rest some guys.  Play Allen about 1/4 and give him the rest of the day off.  Rest some veterans like Lorax and Gore.  Sit out other key guys that might be dinged up.  The idea is to prepare for beating Houston.  The way I look at it, it's been the goal since winning in Pittsburgh.  I think that's the mindset of the coaching staff too.  Win the wild card game and see how things fall.  Let's just get these last two regular season game over with.

Whatever the outcome in the wild card game the future finally looks bright.  I think they've got 10 draft choices and around $90M in cap space to resign some key players and free agents that can provide upgrades at certain positions.  On defense I see the need for one player at all 3 levels and the offense could use some physical receivers, a power running back, and more upgrades to the offensive line.  Maybe a new punter on ST?  As a team that is a up and comer I suspect Buffalo won't be a place impact free agents avoid or dismiss any longer. 

Happy holidays.. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I told myself before the game I wasn’t going to let a loss destroy me because no matter what we are in and the refs ruin every patriots game in Foxboro. Then the game started and all of that went out the window. It usually takes me days to not still be furious over a loss but I’m okay today. The biggest prize is still ahead of us and hopefully this team learns a lot from yesterday. Next years schedule is brutal and I know it’s silly to look at it like that but we really have to take advantage this year. You never know when we will get back. Learn from yesterday and make the adjustments now to take advantage of THIS opportunity because tomorrow is never promised.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

3. Lots of criticism here about the plain vanilla game plan but it may have been smart not to put too much on tape for playoff teams to study.  Don't forget that we may be back in Foxborough in a few weeks. The only wrinkle was the tackle-eligible play to Dawkins but the world has seen that one already.

Daboll plays close to the vest and this did not surprise me.  

Win would have been nice but Id rather keep some trump cards for January.