If the Bills scored on the final drive......

Special K

If the Bills scored on the final posession.....would you go for two??  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have gone for two?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Estro said:

The smart answer is YES.......

1. The Patriots offense was getting the better of the Bills defense

2. The Bills offense was struggling for long stretches between the big plays

3.  No need to risk injury and continue playing in OT

Don't forget the Pats would've still had plenty of time to get into FG range and retake the lead......but you at least ensure no OT by going for 2.

The whole night made me sick, I am of the belief the defense was done and could not have stopped the Pats from getting a game winning field goal even if we tied it up.

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're not very good at this, huh. You just said "Because the Pats score when they need to." That's the whole freakin' point! You don't give them that chance because they will score and beat you. 

Let me spell it out for you since you don't seem to understand.

The average conversion rate for a two point play is 48% (and much lower for a below average offense which is what we have, and especially against the best defense in the league).

The chance you get the ball in overtime is a coin flip, which is a 50% chance you get the ball and have an opportunity to drive and win the game (again, with a below average offense against the best defense in the league, but at least you didn't lose the game earlier by going for two). The difference is in overtime you have multiple shots to get it done with the normal down and distance rules. With a two point conversion you have ONE chance, and a bad chance at that. That's why almost always you see teams take the point and go to overtime, or do you think virtually every team in the NFL makes the wrong choice when they are in that situation?

Absolutely I would have. 

I will never blame a coach for going for the W.  I’ve used this example before, but years ago when the Pats had blown a lead to the Colts and were up by 3 or 4 or something and were in their own side of the field with a couple minutes to go and Belichick went for it on 4th and 3...I would love a call like that even though it didn’t work out. He knew his D was gassed and gave the best player on his team a chance to close it out. 

Decisions like that don’t always work out, there’s no philosophy that always works. But I have an easier time dealing with a loss if I know we went for the W. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Special K changed the title to If the Bills scored on the final drive......

Well the Redskins just had a chance to go for two to win the game but elected to kick the extra point and tie it in a very meaningless game....if you don’t go for two in that situation then you never will.

Edit: Washington just lost in OT without ever touching the ball in OT.

Edited by Special K

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Let me spell it out for you since you don't seem to understand.

The average conversion rate for a two point play is 48% (and much lower for a below average offense which is what we have, and especially against the best defense in the league).

The chance you get the ball in overtime is a coin flip, which is a 50% chance you get the ball and have an opportunity to drive and win the game (again, with a below average offense against the best defense in the league, but at least you didn't lose the game earlier by going for two). The difference is in overtime you have multiple shots to get it done with the normal down and distance rules. With a two point conversion you have ONE chance, and a bad chance at that. That's why almost always you see teams take the point and go to overtime, or do you think virtually every team in the NFL makes the wrong choice when they are in that situation?

Virtually every coach goes to overtime excluding isolated instances. The most aggressive and the most conservative both do. 

If you have a chance to win the game you try and win the game IMO.

In overtime you don't even know if you'll get the ball, show some cajones and have your team go for the win. Two yards just seems easier than possibly traveling the length of the field, if you get the chance.

• Like (+1) 2