How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+

rayray808

How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+  

379 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+

• 10%
    • 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%

20 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

If only it was that easy for second-year, first round draft picks

never said it was easy. But be practical. 

this is what he was selected to do. Win the big games when it counts. You can make all the excuses you can conjure up: WR talent, play calling, age, opponent, OL play, etc. 

At the end of the day, he left multiple plays on the table, including the potentially game-tying touchdown. 

Like I said before, these are the games he needs to start winning in order to be considered the long-term answer and future at QB 

13 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since you live in Giants territory like me, I'm guessing you've seen enough of Daniel Jones to know that Josh Allen at this point in their careers is way ahead of Daniel Jones.  If you're not watching the Giants, take a look because one of the main reasons for their poor record is that Daniel Jones turns the ball over too many times at key points of the game.  It's understandable, because Jones is a rookie.  There's no way anyone who watches games instead of just looking at stat sheets can say that Daniel Jones is ahead of Josh Allen in development.  Maybe somewhere down the line Jones will be close to Allen, but right now he's miles behind Josh.  The main reason Jones looks good on paper is because he's throwing a lot in catch-up situations and padding the stats.  I'll never be a stat guy, I prefer to let my eyes do the evaluation the eyes say Josh Allen is way ahead of Daniel Jones as of 12/22/19.  

Well said. It also easy to put up stats when your team stinks and you are playing from behind against soft defenses.  McD team philosophy is not set up to throw for 300 on a regular basis. 

Edited by Locomark

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, stating the obvious, his completion is around last in the NFL...the fact that he requires near perfect mechanics to throw when you have guys like Mahomes, Watson, Jackson and Wilson (all guys the bills had chances to draft) that can complete all kinds of passes throwing off platform is very discouraging....he is two years in and still doesn’t have a season of 60% completion.

Now, passing for 300 yards isn’t a stat that tells a whole lot...but when you have rookie QBs doing it with ease and Allen can’t come close to sniffing 300 after 25 games, it makes you question why it’s like “pulling teeth” for him.

His situational awareness has been suspect...however I was pleased to finally see him score for the first time at the end of regulation last night...

He’s completed 3 deep balls the passed two games which is good...but he still had a handful of overthrows last night that should have been completed and likely would have won the game...and they were just overthrows- they weren’t even close...

I think these are all legitimate concerns for people...Josh Allen is requiring a lot of patience, and we aren’t sure if he can get any better than he already is...We are seeing young QBs pass him by and it can certainly be frustrating at times.

I can see your points in all but the first paragraph where to me it reads you are more lamenting not having drafted those players aka look at all that spilt milk we could have had. I’m way tired of reading oh if we’d only drafted so and so it is apples and oranges the QBs you mentioned went into systems with supporting coaches and players theBills don’t have I just think those kinds of arguments do t hold a lot of water.  Now as far as the rest I’m not sAying josh Allen doesn’t need improvements in his accuracy but you have to consider the supporting casts as well as the height of the ceiling I. Josh Allen’s case based on the improvements we HAVE seen to date I honestly do t understand a lot of the pessimism and skepticism I’m reading we all k ew he was a green prospect I never expected perfection but what I HAVE seen is a guy who is sold out to improve to win and to never give up trying. To me he is straight up baller and should bd happy we have him

Edited by Margarita
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Josh Allen was drafted #7 overall to win games like yesterday. 

I looked at my friends when they were getting the ball back and told them the same. They had the chance to win and didn’t. If he doesn’t start winning those types of games, he’ll be toast 

Really, he's already won 8 of those types of games in his young career!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

End of regulation meaning he scored in the final seconds of the half for the first time-which has always been one of my biggest pet peeves- lack of situational awareness in two minute drill.

QBs passing him by in development meaning in his first 10 games Daniel Jones already has a couple 300 yard/4 TD games, as does Murray with 300 yard games and 65% completion...Murray has also had 2 games this year with 3 TD passes to Josh’s 1. (That being said, Josh left 2 passing TDs on the board last night- he should have had 4.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrKy00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneDa05.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm

Color me as not impressed with either of your examples of QB's who have "passed Allen in development"

Murray has had 4 - 300 yd games. One win against Atlanta, a tie with Detroit, and losses to Baltimore and Tampa Bay.

Jones has had 3 - 300 yd games. One win over Tampa bay and Losses to both the Detroit and the Jets.

Entering today's games the Cardinals are currently 4-9-1 while the Giants are 3-11.

Matt Ryan (Atlanta) BTW has had  9 - 300 yd games this season. Their record is 5-9.

It would not necessarily appear that 300 yd passing games are all that indicative of a successful season...

Edited by DefenseWins

I think he's going to get a minimum of two more years unless he completely falls off. Daboll will get next year, and it if doesn't improve then he'll be fired and someone else will get a shot. It's possible at the end of year four that everyone is gone. But that's the worst case scenario IMO.

This team is still trending up. I'd say odds are better than 50/50. Mariota got five years to prove he wasn't the guy, and I think that's a pretty good comp for Josh considering where each guy was year two. Mariota stopped improving. Josh can still get better, particularly with the accuracy stuff.  

Edited by VW82

12 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrKy00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneDa05.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm

Color me as not impressed with either of your examples of QB's who have "passed Allen in development"

Murray has had 4 - 300 yd games. One win against Atlanta, a tie with Detroit, and losses to Baltimore and Tampa Bay.

Jones has had 3 - 300 yd games. One win over Tampa bay and Losses to both the Detroit and the Jets.

Entering today's games the Cardinals are currently 4-9-1 while the Giants are 3-11.

Matt Ryan (Atlanta) BTW has had  9 - 300 yd games this season. Their record is 5-9.

It would not necessarily appear that 300 yd passing games are all that indicative of a successful season...

Allen does not pass for 300 because of his inconsistent accuracy...like Kurt Warner said, he needs to learn how to become a passer and not just a thrower...

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Well said. It also easy to put up stats when your team stinks and you are playing from behind against soft defenses.  McD team philosophy is not set up to throw for 300 on a regular basis. 

I'm watching both Giants & Jets games (one on TV, one on a computer with view of both at the same time) and I must admit Jones looks good today.  It looks like the 2 weeks on the sidelines helped him.  

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

never said it was easy. But be practical. 

this is what he was selected to do. Win the big games when it counts. You can make all the excuses you can conjure up: WR talent, play calling, age, opponent, OL play, etc. 

At the end of the day, he left multiple plays on the table, including the potentially game-tying touchdown. 

Like I said before, these are the games he needs to start winning in order to be considered the long-term answer and future at QB 

He took them on a 14 play drive, 57 yards to the NE 8.  Lot of success on that drive, but yeah not perfection.

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

Really, he's already won 8 of those types of games in his young career!

Thank you!  It's as if he is completely unaware of this fact.  The fact that since he's entered into the NFL he is at the tops of the league of winning those sort of games.

Yes, he missed the Knox throw and I'm sure that throw will stay with him for some time but the plays he made on that drive to get to that position were truly special.  

Josh Allen is not that far away from being a top 8 QB in this league.   What impressed me the most yesterday aside from his WOW plays was that visualization of the field and decision making in regards to who and where he is throwing to looked great.  When he wasn't being smothered with the pass rush he was able to find the right receiver, his problem is his mechanics.  He is throwing off his back foot too often and overthrowing receivers, that is something that will be corrected.  Just a few minor tweaks to his game and add in another play making receiver and the continued development of Knox and Singletary and this offense will be markedly improved from what it is now.

They are not that far away.

36 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Allen does not pass for 300 because of his inconsistent accuracy...like Kurt Warner said, he needs to learn how to become a passer and not just a thrower...

teams that routinely throw for 300 yd per game are doing so because they don't have very productive running games. Their defenses aren't all that hot either. Teams that can run the ball well also tend to have better defensive stats as their defenses don't wear down in the 2nd half. Baltimore is another example of a team with a good running game/good defense. The Bills are not asking Allen to throw for 300 yds per game. They are 10-5 for good reasons. And personally I will settle for 10 wins any season over these other teams/QB's we are talking about. Allen wont be making $30 million per season for at least 2-3 more years. Plenty of time to judge his progress by then.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm watching both Giants & Jets games (one on TV, one on a computer with view of both at the same time) and I must admit Jones looks good today.  It looks like the 2 weeks on the sidelines helped him.  

Fits looks good all the time so I guess that means we should get him also.....

On 12/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Tesla03 said:

very hard to say at this point.

Trubisky led his team to 12 wins, division title, and a missed FG away from a playoff win, this year they are burning his jersey in chicago. Bortles had very similar career stats to Allen,  led his team to the AFC championship game and almost won it, now he is a career backup. 

Allen is a gunslinger that doesn't put up gunslinger numbers. he has yet to reach 300 yards passing, constantly has poor completion %, struggles to hit deep balls. One thing is for sure though and that is I want to see him under a different OC very soon. Allen doesn't fit Dabolls offense and he refuses to scheme around his QB. Bring in someone like Jay Gruden. he turned Dalton into a top 10 QB. 

Omg again with the 300 yards passing bull####

I just hope that the Bills don't just blindly put him as the starter just because he has a big arm, sure thats a great place to start but there are other attributes  that can help you succeed at QB than a huge arm !

I would rather have a Chad Pennington type than some one that has a huge arm & is less accurate & you don't need to throw for 400 yds per game to be a NFL caliber QB .

Give him his chance to prove him self but if he stays mediocre then continue to bring in good talent to push him if nothing else . Just look at the Mullens kid in SF, then Minshew or the guy that is starting in Carolina now they're out there .

On 12/21/2019 at 10:25 PM, RyanC883 said:

how much longer is Daboll around.  He is awful.  A young QB needs rhythm and to be able to play his style.  Notice how the offense was much better at the end of the 1st and 2nd half?  Not surprising given that we had to pass, JA got into a rhythm, ran, and played HIS style.  

JA did also miss Knox twice on somewhat difficult passes, but ones that should be made by a franchise QB.  He also took too many sacks (should have thrown it way).  But I think this is typical 2nd year stuff.  Basically, JA can be great, but Daboll's playcalling is killing him.  

This guy got it right. Josh needs to get into a rhythm. When it's run run pass he can't do that. They need to ramshackle Josh, and let him chuck it.