The expectations of too many fans are out of whack

Max Fischer

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is very true. I think they had a better chance to win today with a different strategy but it surely is not a given. 

And I would rather punch the Pats in a more meaningful game.  The AFCE title would be nice but I doubt its a serious goal that would warrant all out physical defense that puts some nagging bruises on our playmakers. And if Josh is improving on his touch in practice why show it when a win doesn't really matter in the big view. Instead,  I'd rather they show he is still hit or miss on those plays and lull the Pats into reaffirming they are too good on defense for the upstart Bills.  Recall in the hoopla before the first Giant/NE SB when Giants were predicting they'd hold the Pats to under a low number and Brady scoffed it off arrogantly as a impossibilty. I'm sure that still gnaws at him.  I wouldn't put it past BB and Brady of putting on a show of diminished play by Brady as bait to teams that can offer a threat to beat the Pats. They certainly arrogantly could not fathom losing both the Bills and the Dolphins.  They certainly didn't  look as bad as they have looked recently.  This is due to either the Pats playing possum offensively so they see the best defense of the teams that could threaten them in a game where loser is eliminated.  Gives them the info to gameplan for the post season rematch which is for the real goal.  BB has always played chess versus the coaches who are playing checkers.  

Somehow I get the feeling the process is more inclined to value gaining the extra experience that playing  extra playoff games as a WC team benefits the young teams growth. I think they are deliberately teaching our players how to turn it on/off.  If we meet NE in the playoffs I'd much rather they underestimate us and chalk up the closeness of our 2 losses were just a few flukey plays and not any real threat to their vaunted defense.  Let us throw the knockout punch on the Pats in the playoffs where the knockout offers a better payoff than a possible division title.  I can live with one less division banner hanging wherever they hang them. 

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I’m disappointed the Bills lost but not upset and it’s because I believed the Bills had a good chance to win but did not “expect” a win.

I believe 6-7 weeks ago a great majority of fans would have very happy to have the Bills compete at an extremely high level against the Ravens and the Pats. They were in a position to tie each game in the last minute, our second year QB is clearly on the rise and despite the the disappointing day, the Defense will scare the crap out of upcoming playoff opponents. 

The last few weeks give me a great deal of confidence the Bills could beat the Texans and they have a good chance to beat the Patriots, Chiefs or Ravens in the second round. The Bills are far ahead of any reasonable expectation for this season and that’s why I feel pretty good. Hers to a week of rest and two weeks of preparation for the playoffs. 

When you win 10 games After 14 weeks expectations go up

5 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

And I would rather punch the Pats in a more meaningful game.  The AFCE title would be nice but I doubt its a serious goal that would warrant all out physical defense that puts some nagging bruises on our playmakers. And if Josh is improving on his touch in practice why show it when a win doesn't really matter in the big view. Instead,  I'd rather they show he is still hit or miss on those plays and lull the Pats into reaffirming they are too good on defense for the upstart Bills.  Recall in the hoopla before the first Giant/NE SB when Giants were predicting they'd hold the Pats to under a low number and Brady scoffed it off arrogantly as a impossibilty. I'm sure that still gnaws at him.  I wouldn't put it past BB and Brady of putting on a show of diminished play by Brady as bait to teams that can offer a threat to beat the Pats. They certainly arrogantly could not fathom losing both the Bills and the Dolphins.  They certainly didn't  look as bad as they have looked recently.  This is due to either the Pats playing possum offensively so they see the best defense of the teams that could threaten them in a game where loser is eliminated.  Gives them the info to gameplan for the post season rematch which is for the real goal.  BB has always played chess versus the coaches who are playing checkers.  

Somehow I get the feeling the process is more inclined to value gaining the extra experience that playing  extra playoff games as a WC team benefits the young teams growth. I think they are deliberately teaching our players how to turn it on/off.  If we meet NE in the playoffs I'd much rather they underestimate us and chalk up the closeness of our 2 losses were just a few flukey plays and not any real threat to their vaunted defense.  Let us throw the knockout punch on the Pats in the playoffs where the knockout offers a better payoff than a possible division title.  I can live with one less division banner hanging wherever they hang them. 

The actual beating NE in NE in a huge game usurps everything else. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

WTF? You just said you didn't think they had any chance whatsoever. That the game was going to end like all these NE games end. Which is a loss. That's exactly what you said. How is this being silly? 

It was a figure of speech.  Obviously, it wasn’t zero chance.  It’s never zero chance until final whistle.

3 hours ago, MDH said:

I didn’t expect a win either. I thought they had a good chance to pull it off.

The disappointing part is how they lost. The D was horrible. They got run over, run around and passed on with ease. They couldn’t stop one of the worst offenses in the league all game. They didn’t blitz an offense that has struggled with the blitz most of the year.

The strength of the team was exposed. That’s disturbing heading into the playoffs. 

Where was the blitz up the middle, all game long?  That's how you beat Brady, make him get off his spot/have to move a bit.  Let him sit there for even 3 seconds, and he's going to find a receiver, or throw it away (and almost never get called for grounding).  We rushed only four all day from what I can recall, and NEVER got any real pressure up the middle.  That defensive gameplan was ALL WRONG for that team.  I would have blitzed an extra guy up the middle all-day-long;  you HAVE to get Brady's jersey dirty and make him move to stop that O.  Yeah, he's been the best in the game for the last decade+ of finding an open guy in under 3 seconds, but at least force him to do it.  He had all day long today, and even then sometimes had a hard time finding someone open.  It seems we could have used Tremaine better as a blitzer on most plays today;  too many times I saw him just standing there in that 5-yard gap, then chasing the play.

This last month I think will bode well for the Bills in the playoffs.  They've basically played 4 playoff type of games here in a row now and they've gone 2-2 in those games with the 2 losses coming down to last minute endzone plays.  Teams have to learn how to win, its not often teams just win from nothing and the Bills are getting closer and closer.  I don't they have all the ingredients right now to go deep in the playoffs but they are probably the only team that may have a chance to knock off the Ravens in the AFC this year.   Hard to imagine right now but it is still a possibility.  And the Patriots reign is ending here in another couple weeks and its not coming back. 

10 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I’m disappointed the Bills lost but not upset and it’s because I believed the Bills had a good chance to win but did not “expect” a win.

I believe 6-7 weeks ago a great majority of fans would have very happy to have the Bills compete at an extremely high level against the Ravens and the Pats. They were in a position to tie each game in the last minute, our second year QB is clearly on the rise and despite the the disappointing day, the Defense will scare the crap out of upcoming playoff opponents. 

The last few weeks give me a great deal of confidence the Bills could beat the Texans and they have a good chance to beat the Patriots, Chiefs or Ravens in the second round. The Bills are far ahead of any reasonable expectation for this season and that’s why I feel pretty good. Hers to a week of rest and two weeks of preparation for the playoffs. 

On the flip side - days like these are examples of low expectations too. Had we pushed more chips on the table would we be considered a team like the ravens right now? But so many people, I believe our FO included didn’t look at this as a year to challenge as a true contender 

10 hours ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I’m excited about the playoff birth but I think that Brady has one regular season game left with the Pats. I wanted to beat that team in their place before he left. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he stays and we get another shot but I have my doubts.

And yeah, I realize it sounds weird that I’m hoping Brady plays another year but I want to beat him not just wait until he goes away.

I’m actually just sick of watching Brady and his antics. The sooner he is gone the better. They are known cheaters, it doesn’t matter if I know it or the country know it or Patriots fans deny it. All that matters is Brady and Belicheat know it. 

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is no way of knowing anything for sure. My problem was the two major changes for this team that made them inarguably better in the last 5-6 games they abandoned. They did not hurry up, or spread the defense like they did when the offense was rolling more. They did not crowd the box and Blitz like clearly helped in the last several games of getting more pressure and sacks. They went back to their less aggressive team strategy for this game, and it cost them imo. 

Yep for sure! They played at times not to lose! For me it was punting on 4th and inches that told the story. Yes given field position it was a logical step but sometimes you have to set the attitude and take a chance. Like the Eagles did in their Super Bowl victory over the Pats! Play fearless and believe that you can gain at least half a yard whenever you need it!!!

Same on defense. Sure Brady is tough to blitz because he has seen it all, but it has been a problem this year for their o-line!! But we played scared! Afraid to blitz and force tempo. Too be aggressive instead of reactionary! If you just try to just react to that offense, they will kill you!! Just watch the Raven game against the Pats earlier this year! They went after Brady and covered on the back side. We have the secondary that can do it! Poor defensive game plan yesterday!

8 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The expectations should be high.  This team competes with everyone.  

My expectations for the offense were pretty much what we saw! However my expectations for this defense was much higher than what was displayed! I expected a hard fought close victory with an impressive defensive showing! Like the last few weeks! I have no idea why they played so tentative!??

• Like (+1) 1