The expectations of too many fans are out of whack

Max Fischer

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they have earned a wild card spot, a huge accomplishment after the last 20 years

maybe pull off an upset....

Yeah, I’m excited about the playoff birth but I think that Brady has one regular season game left with the Pats. I wanted to beat that team in their place before he left. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he stays and we get another shot but I have my doubts.

And yeah, I realize it sounds weird that I’m hoping Brady plays another year but I want to beat him not just wait until he goes away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, who wouldn’t want to go 0-2 against the team that’s owned you for 20+ years?

This isn’t about pre-season expectations.  It’s about beating them 

What are the Bills gonna do about it?

wait until Brady retires and pray the Pats slip without him?  Or that all the other teams won’t try to improve as well?

Edited by row_33

Just now, Virgil said:

Yeah, who wouldn’t want to go 0-2 against the team that’s owned you for 20+ years?

This isn’t about pre-season expectations.  It’s about beating them 

The team has surpassed my preseason expectations. It’s nice that it’s now reasonable to expect at least one playoff win and competing in the second round. 

It's just that the Pats bring out so much frustration in this fan base.  What if instead of NE we lost on the road in the exact same way to SF, GB or NO today?  I bet we would feel a whole lot different.

This year it's about winning that first playoff game in over 20 years.  Next year it will about burying the Pats and winning the division.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Expectations do change over the course of a season. That’s OK you know. 

Yeah but expectations also have to be grounded in reality 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's just that the Pats bring out so much frustration in this fan base.  What if instead of NE we lost on the road in the exact same way to SF, GB or NO today?  I bet we would feel a whole lot different.

This year it's about winning that first playoff game in over 20 years.  Next year it will about burying the Pats and winning the division.

Well said, and I referenced this in my thread too.  I think this loss was more about building confidence in the fans than building confidence in the players.  

That’s why I have no doubt that once the playoffs begin, this game is already out of our players minds 

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I’m excited about the playoff birth but I think that Brady has one regular season game left with the Pats. I wanted to beat that team in their place before he left. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he stays and we get another shot but I have my doubts.

And yeah, I realize it sounds weird that I’m hoping Brady plays another year but I want to beat him not just wait until he goes away.

Is 1 win really going to matter though?  He’s dominated all of the AFCE.  Who cares about “1 last win?”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Is 1 win really going to matter though?  He’s dominated all of the AFCE.  Who cares about “1 last win?”

I do. I’m going to assume that if I do then other Bills’ fans feel the same.

If some others don’t that’s fine, but I’d like to send Brady limping into retirement having lost his last game to the Bills in a big spot.

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Yeah but expectations also have to be grounded in reality 

It's just hard to take when they still look better than we do in all departments. 

I know Allen made some plays but I tell you what concerns me -

With all the throws that are missed, I'm starting to think you put brees, mahomes, Rogers, brady (hate to say it) on this team.. We are then Better than the patriots. 

This is what makes me anxious, that we are close. 

All the talk of the defence,. we were still holding them to some field goals. 

22 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Defense was on the field wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too long they were toast by the 4th quarter.

So what's their reason in the 1st and 2nd Q?

TOP was something like Pats 21:16 Buffalo 8:43 in the 1st half

Slightly more equitable 17:36 to 12:25 in the 2nd half

If you don't want to get gassed, don't give up a 7:26 and a 8:58 minute drive to the opponent in the 1st half

Just now, london_bills said:

It's just hard to take when they still look better than we do in all departments. 

I know Allen made some plays but I tell you what concerns me -

With all the throws that are missed, I'm starting to think you put brees, mahomes, Rogers, brady (hate to say it) on this team.. We are then Better than the patriots. 

This is what makes me anxious, that we are close. 

All the talk of the defence,. we were still holding them to some field goals. 

This is a very good point and one that a lot of fans don’t want to acknowledge.  Allen does need to be better - he can’t miss Dawson Knox in the endzone at the end of the game.  

The Bills organization is better that he will continue to improve,m.  Only time will tell but I do think that with better QB play this is a different team

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

This is a very good point and one that a lot of fans don’t want to acknowledge.  Allen does need to be better - he can’t miss Dawson Knox in the endzone at the end of the game.  

The Bills organization is better that he will continue to improve,m.  Only time will tell but I do think that with better QB play this is a different team

Might even be the superbowl with these QBs. 

So frustrating 

After last year’s disaster, pretty much every Bills fan should be ecstatic we are in the playoffs this year.

This team is young, they have a bunch of new personnel this year, tons of salary cap room and plenty of draft picks going forward.  They have/will play meaningful games down the stretch here against quality teams that will prove as invaluable experience.  

The window is the next two years before they have to extend Josh and Josh needs to start hitting more open receivers to get the offense moving on a consistent basis.

Regardless of how far we go in the playoffs, you don’t think the two loses to the Pats will drive these guys to get better over the spring/summer coming into 2020?

is it to much to expect that by the end of the year we wrap up and make good tackles?  how about not running the same delayed hand off 75% of every first down?  

How about looking at what we did in week 4 with great results and repeating that on D.   If we can pressure Jackson we can pressure tom but we didnt even try.   

I expect us to capitalize on the things we can do well and we didnt do that today.  

Just now, Mc1320 said:

After last year’s disaster, pretty much every Bills fan should be ecstatic we are in the playoffs this year.

This team is young, they have a bunch of new personnel this year, tons of salary cap room and plenty of draft picks going forward.  They have/will play meaningful games down the stretch here against quality teams that will prove as invaluable experience.  

The window is the next two years before they have to extend Josh and Josh needs to start hitting more open receivers to get the offense moving on a consistent basis.

Regardless of how far we go in the playoffs, you don’t think the two loses to the Pats will drive these guys to get better over the spring/summer coming into 2020?

Probably not but In the scenario you mentioned, let’s hope it does

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

is it to much to expect that by the end of the year we wrap up and make good tackles?  how about not running the same delayed hand off 75% of every first down?  

How about looking at what we did in week 4 with great results and repeating that on D.   If we can pressure Jackson we can pressure tom but we didnt even try.   

I expect us to capitalize on the things we can do well and we didnt do that today.  

Sure but that isn’t how the NFL works.  Teams go up and down given the matchup and different circumstances of the games.  Today was a little step down but not as bad as some are making it out to be.  

45 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I’m disappointed the Bills lost but not upset and it’s because I believed the Bills had a good chance to win but did not “expect” a win.

I believe 6-7 weeks ago a great majority of fans would have very happy to have the Bills compete at an extremely high level against the Ravens and the Pats. They were in a position to tie each game in the last minute, our second year QB is clearly on the rise and despite the the disappointing day, the Defense will scare the crap out of upcoming playoff opponents. 

The last few weeks give me a great deal of confidence the Bills could beat the Texans and they have a good chance to beat the Patriots, Chiefs or Ravens in the second round. The Bills are far ahead of any reasonable expectation for this season and that’s why I feel pretty good. Hers to a week of rest and two weeks of preparation for the playoffs. 

No more moral victories, they have proven to be able to hang and win with the better teams. Time to win games!