Bills Fans Are Really Overanalyzing The Loss To The Patriots

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Of course... but a loss here isn’t as devastating as a lot of fans are making it sound and a win would be pretty much meaningless after a week or week so.  

The meaning of a win here would be that the Bills would show they can take that step, stand up to the Bully in Foxborough and Win on their ground.

In order to take a step and show that we're really ready to compete with anyone, we need to be able to beat the Pats on their home ground.

The good news is that Allen played far better this game overall.  He didn't turn the ball over; he didn't fumble; he didn't make stupid plays.

The bad news is that 1) our offense didn't make enough plays 2) our defense couldn't stop a freakin' Patriots nosebleed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the effort was there by the players ( not necessarily the execution) but the coaches went 99% simple and vanilla. They knew a win wasn’t going to improve their spot and they need their best defensive work to win in the playoffs. The passive gameplan vs a hobbled and slow Brady said it all. They we’re far from embarrassed , and players got valuable experience vs a top defensive unit. However, they weren’t going to waste their best stuff ( or put new things on film) in this game. If the game was for the AFCE and a bye week, they would have went after Brady relentlessly. His numbers this year when pressured vs not pressured are a stark contrast to previous years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

And you know this....how?  Because many analysts commented that it felt like a playoff game.

The Bills defense didn’t play as well but I don’t question effort on either side of the ball

Yeah, because many analysts commented that it felt like a playoff game.  Unreal.

How about this, Phil, maybe because NE is always in the playoffs, will be in the playoffs, and we may have to face them again in the playoffs in the near future at Foxboro?  Beating NE would have given the team much needed momentum and confidence that they could beat any team on the road.  The Bills laid an egg.

We really had the chance to put the hurt on NE today...I agree that they most likely win vs Miami next and the division title was a pipe dream...but...we could have really dash their hope for a bye week....now, once again, they'll have a bye....get a home game and straight into the AFC Championship game...for the 9th year straight....that's what was at stake this evening....

Three things that concern me:

1 - The D line didn’t touch Brady at all other than a couple hits.

2- Almost all of Brady’s completions were 10 yards or less.  I understand McD’s system is zone but to continually allow Brady to dink and dunk his way down the field when you weren’t getting any pressure on him doesn’t make any sense to me.

3- How do you let Edelman,  who is basically on one leg,  beat you?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sig1Hunter said:

In the scheme of things for this year, you are probably right. However, a win would have been a HUGE culture builder for the offseason and beyond.

Would it really though?  Do you think a win vs NE.  Followed by a loss let’s say in the Wildcard round would carry over into the offseason?  Because I don’t.  

I think a wildcard win would be a much bigger victory and I also think that after a wildcard loss, fans forget about the NE win.  

It would have been nice for fans but for this postseason or behind, this loss is not the big deal many are making it out to be

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Would it really though?  Do you think a win vs NE.  Followed by a loss let’s say in the Wildcard round would carry over into the offseason?  Because I don’t.  

I think a wildcard win would be a much bigger victory and I also think that after a wildcard loss, fans forget about the NE win.  

It would have been nice for fans but for this postseason or behind, this loss is not the big deal many are making it out to be

How does a win vs New England preclude a win in the playoffs this year?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

They didn’t give their best. The players might have but the coaches didn’t. 
conservative on both sides of the ball. I’m accustomed to it on offense. But not in defense. 
Looked like Dave Wannstedt was back calling our plays.  

Playcalling is the ultimate scapegoat for this team.  I think the bigger problem was the execution.  The Bills tackled poorly and got beat upfront on both sides of the ball.  How is this playcalling?

Also Josh Allen had an open Dawson Knox in the endzone.  He missed the throw.  How is that playcalling?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I wanted to the Bills to best the Patriots more than anyone, but after reading Twitter and some of the comments in here, I can’t help but feel that fans are overvaluing this loss to New England.  

It would have been fun to beat New England but in the grand scheme, the Patriots were never losing to Miami next week.  The Bills would be a 5 seed either way.  I think that some fans don’t understand that this wasn’t for the AFC East Championship

In two weeks when we play Houston or KC, what effect would a win versus NE really have?  Would a Bills victory over NE mean anything in the Wildcard round?  Absolutely not.   

Does the loss mean that they are any less likely not to pull off an upset?  Probably not

Most fans won’t even think about this game in two weeks and just like the players they’ll be “onto Houston” or wherever else.

I also don’t seem this loss as having any effect on players.  As great as the Bills fan base is, they are super reactionary, and many online are saying “this shows the Bills won’t ever win a playoff game.  One and done.”  WTF

Overall point here is either way, we would have been the 5th seed.  This loss means nothing other than showing that the Bills might be a few players away from challenging for a Super Bowl, but overall they are trending upward

This game was critical to set the tone between the two teams going forward.  They knew they dodged a bullet against us in Buffalo.  This was the game to make a statement.  Instead another loss.  

Brady is 31-1 against us.  They have beats us for 2 straight decades.  McD is now 0-6 and in the same as every coach since Levy. 

Why do think any game against these guys is not important?   Beating them is an urgent priority.  The fans are correct to react and the players better learn they are several rings on the  ladder below the legit contenders.  Making a wildcard is nice but this was our first playoff game.  

5 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

They didn’t give their best. The players might have but the coaches didn’t. 
conservative on both sides of the ball. I’m accustomed to it on offense. But not in defense. 
Looked like Dave Wannstedt was back calling our plays.  

They called a style of D that showed fear and respect for Brady imo. I’m not certain why, because Brady hasn’t shown much this season. We needed to make him prove he can beat pressure, because Tommy has never dealt well with pressure (Giants Super Bowls), and now has a weak oline. Instead, we opted to play it safe. 

Before the game I wanted the bills to put Tre White on Edelman all game and let any other WR beat us. This team does dumb ***** constantly. Clock management terrible again as always. Decisions on challenge plays are on the level of a pre schooler.  It’s sad because the team itself it pretty good. Just so many consistently dumb tendencies 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

They called a style of D that showed fear and respect for Brady imo. I’m not certain why, because Brady hasn’t shown much this season. We needed to make him prove he can beat pressure, because Tommy has never dealt well with pressure (Giants Super Bowls), and now has a weak oline. Instead, we opted to play it safe. 

Nope you are wrong.  Brady is very good against pressure from the blitz.  He will pick a defense apart.

He has struggled with pressure up the middle from the defensive line.  Unfortunately the Bills got little pressure from their front 4 today.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Before the game I wanted the bills to put Tre White on Edelman all game and let any other WR beat us. This team does dumb ***** constantly. Clock management terrible again as always. Decisions on challenge plays are on the level of a pre schooler.  It’s sad because the team itself it pretty good. Just so many consistently dumb tendencies 

Dumb tendencies....yet they were 1 overthrow to an open TE from winning.  

Oh and they won 10 games....

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Nope you are wrong.  Brady is very good against pressure from the blitz.  He will pick a defense apart.

He has struggled with pressure up the middle from the defensive line.  Unfortunately the Bills got little pressure from their front 4 today.

He’s not good vs pressure this year. They didn’t go all out to pressure him and win, and it showed. 

• Like (+1) 1