Josh Allen - week SIXTEEN report card

rayray808

Really don't know how to grade last night. Josh was part of the problem and yet the only offense we generated was two absolutely beautiful deep balls from nowhere that accounted basically for our two TDs. 

I feel like a C+ but with an asterisk that this grade is not all Josh's fault as such. He didn't get much help from play calling or the line last night. Was one of the better games for our receiving players though... Brown, Knox and especially Beasley all did a nice job. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Really don't know how to grade last night. Josh was part of the problem and yet the only offense we generated was two absolutely beautiful deep balls from nowhere that accounted basically for our two TDs. 

I feel like a C+ but with an asterisk that this grade is not all Josh's fault as such. He didn't get much help from play calling or the line last night. Was one of the better games for our receiving players though... Brown, Knox and especially Beasley all did a nice job. 

We need to draft WR in the first in the next draft. More playmakers.

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We definitely need to find a difference maker at receiver. And we need to find a RT. If you wanted to focus your DK argument on Cody Ford rather than Ed Oliver right now I think there is little legitimate argument that choosing Metcalf in round 2 would not have been a better decision. Ford may still be an a top end guard but he kind of needs to be almost all pro good to justify the pick. We have seen enough to know he is not a right tackle.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Once again we're in agreement. I'd probably go B- because I am adding weight to quality of opponent and clutch factor. Those 2 deep completions were all-time beautiful throws; and the Brown play came with 2 defenders in his face. And of course another Allen animal-sneak at a critical time. I can't stop wondering what might've been had we gotten the VERY OBVIOUS face mask penalty on the sneak. Or the ball was spotted correctly on the 4th down stop that was handed to NE. Or a few other key calls that we predictably didn't get.

31 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Draft AND free agency. Need pass catchers and pass rushers in both.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We definitely need to find a difference maker at receiver. And we need to find a RT. If you wanted to focus your DK argument on Cody Ford rather than Ed Oliver right now I think there is little legitimate argument that choosing Metcalf in round 2 would not have been a better decision. Ford may still be an a top end guard but he kind of needs to be almost all pro good to justify the pick. We have seen enough to know he is not a right tackle.

Nsekhe is fine at RT IMO. Ford, as we said back at draft time, is probably a guard. I have no issue with putting him at LG and letting Spain have his big FA deal elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RiotAct said:

B- from me.

Still missing too many easy throws.  Almost pulled off some 4th quarter magic again, though, which was fun to watch.  No clue how he stayed on his feet during that 4th-and-1

You mean a few !

C+

It’s always the overall accuracy thingee, because we are pretty assured he is almost 100% dealing with the bad hands he’s dealt by Dumboll! 

Forget about Knox. This touch thing overtop to the corner of the End Zone, Allen simply lacks. The great QBs (the Packer one obviously) can! 

Let’s go to the 2 identical slants to Smurf Beasley. The first was wildly high and wide, while the second was right on the money and in stride! We need waaay more of the second, way less of the first going down the road.

2 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

C+

It’s always the overall accuracy thingee, because we are pretty assured he is almost 100% dealing with the bad hands he’s dealt by Dumboll! 

Forget about Knox. This touch thing overtop to the corner of the End Zone, Allen simply lacks. The great QBs (the Packer one obviously) can! 

Let’s go to the 2 identical slants to Smurf Beasley. The first was wildly high and wide, while the second was right on the money and in stride! We need waaay more of the second, way less of the first going down the road.

You're circling the point IMO; the missed throws aren't an accuracy issue. It's when he rushes it. Been that way since Wyoming. He'll get it. He's already starting to.

B-.  The two throws to Know were not as easy as some here believe; I will go with Kurt Warner's opinion over anyone here.  But at least one should have been a TD.  He had trouble reading the defense; and Belichick is who he is by doing just that to QBs, especially young QBs.  But then you have him doing what he does in the fourth and almost pulling it out. 

He's still a work in progress, as is any second year guy.  Still needs to work on pre-snap reads especially against defenses as complex as a Belichick one.  Missed a couple throws he should have had, made some throws most QBs can't make.  And at least shut those up complaining about not being able to complete the long ball. 

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

You mean a few !

No he means too many throws. Josh has the lowest completion percentage in the league as a starter and 3rd lowest yards per game passing. That’s not because he is missing a “few” throws. He’s missing too many. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

At what point will Allen stop being graded on a curve? This was a C performance. A few very good throws mixed in with lots of inaccurate ones.  Not being able to get TDs out of the first and last drives was a big cause for the loss.

This. 

There just seem to be so many excuses for the guy. This was, again, not a good performance against a top team. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

B-.  The two throws to Know were not as easy as some here believe; I will go with Kurt Warner's opinion over anyone here.  But at least one should have been a TD.  He had trouble reading the defense; and Belichick is who he is by doing just that to QBs, especially young QBs.  But then you have him doing what he does in the fourth and almost pulling it out. 

He's still a work in progress, as is any second year guy.  Still needs to work on pre-snap reads especially against defenses as complex as a Belichick one.  Missed a couple throws he should have had, made some throws most QBs can't make.  And at least shut those up complaining about not being able to complete the long ball. 

...the over the shoulder one Knox DID haul in, his side arm pass to Beasley and TD to Smoke are three noteworthy ones to me........then again, he has had 26 starts to grow and learn which is an eternity according to the "TBD Doctrine Of Allowable Learning Time"......SMH........

A lot of fans here are much tougher on Josh than opponent fans.  

For those on the fence, go read the Pats Postgame Thread.  

Most think he’s for real. 

Same sentiment in the Jets thread for the Bills/Pats game.  

These are opposing fans who watch us a lot. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

A lot of fans here are much tougher on Josh than opponent fans.  

Go read the Pats Postgame Thread for some opposing fans takes. 

Most think he’s for real. 

My friend is a Pats****** fan, and he texted me the same. Said "that kid is really something special".

• Like (+1) 1

Not all QBs develop at the same pace and as the late great Bill Walsh used to say, it generally takes four years to fully develop a QB. Jim Kelly didn't fare all that well in his first two seasons in the NFL and had a 59.7 completion percentage those first two. 4-12, 7-8.

The Bills are currently 10-5 and IN the playoffs. There was only a 4% chance the Bills take the division. It came down to one pass to tie the game against the #1 defense in the league AT New England. 

Aside from seeing what will happen in this years playoffs. I can't wait to see what this GM, HC do in the upcoming off season to find that #1 WR like Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans. Upgrade the O line and Pass rush. 

Its an exciting time to be a Buffalo Bills fan!

16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I disagree. He missed two “big throws” to Knox. Both of which Kurt Warner (he’s in the HOF, in case you didn’t know) commented on them being difficult throws. Now, that’s not to say he shouldn’t make tough throws, but every single QB misses tough throws. 

I think in in spite of that, josh played well in the face of poor defensive play, inconsistent playcalling, and an offensive line that rarely gave him time when it mattered most.

This.  I thought he was better than he was against Pittsburgh.  Yes, he misses throws in every game, but yesterday he actually hit two nice deep throws and created time and space when he had to yesterday.   The throw to Beasley to get them inside the ten on the last drive was a nice example.

I'm not usually on the anti-OC bandwagon, but thought the play calling really hamstrung Allen yesterday.

16 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I think you’re being to generous here. The film  will likely show (IMO) that Allen missed 2-4 big throws. Those are the difference makers. 

I agree with this.  Can't give him an A when he misses throws like that.   He needs to calm down and recognize the kind of throw he has to make in each situation.   

What's the deal with Josh only being able to hit the deep ball when he's getting smacked? It's like the defender is forcing him to take off some mustard. 

I know that's a bit of hyperbole, but the John Brown TD was not unlike the Foster one against the Jags last year.