I'm seriously worried about one thing... the conservativeness of our play calling when we are up

Adamb412

It's kinda interesting that this game ended almost the exact same way the Ravens game ended, but it doesn't seem the bills offense really learned anything from it. 1 timeout left on 4th down and they didn't use it. Patriots bring pressure and Allen's just heaves it up 

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

That was fine when Josh was a rookie and then a tad careless in the beginning of this year. Young QB, top notch D, you trust the D. But, since that 1sty Cheats game, Josh has sure proven he protects the ball well and he is clutch. Trust the man!

I would agree for the most part. The offense is always just so off and on, I really think that plays the biggest part. You never know any given play if they will completely implode rather a hold, a drop, or a bad throw. I’m not sure our coaches have a play they can call they trust can be executed everytime. Every team has a few safe plays they know they can get a few yards rather a screen or dump off or curl route or whatever, ours is run up the gut for -1. They know the offense can execute that. 

53 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

McDermott doesnt have a kill instinct and there was a part in the 4th quarter I forget when it was 4th and 1 I wanted them to go for it and McDermott opted for a punt

When we got the ball back at the 30 off a good Roberts punt return, up 17-13 , Allen ran on 3rd and was barely a yard short. We ran twice prior. Had we gotten a 1st down there , I think it could have changed the game. But we got conservative and gave up 11 unanswered

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

After we went up 17 - 10  they got way too conservative. In that case they should assume NE is going to score again, Instead they tried to run a full quarter of time off the clock, essentially wasting two possessions, but needed more time at the end. It's really not very smart.

It works when you are better than the team, Against the jets, titans, giants. 

When you are playing a team that is better is when this comes back to bite. 

3 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

McDermott doesnt have a kill instinct and there was a part in the 4th quarter I forget when it was 4th and 1 I wanted them to go for it and McDermott opted for a punt

yes it’s my biggest gripe too. Seems like the gameplan flips to “protect the lead” immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

McD is who he is and not about to change his spots. This is how he's obtained a HC job and acquired the power at OBD to implement his vision for this franchise. 

It's not new that he's a defense-first coach who, I surmise, wants to win with great defense and a safe offense.  

The off-season personnel and in-game decisions illustrate that so often it can no longer be ignored.

I don't care what he says before and after games.  If he doesn't acclimate to a rapidly changing NFL and begin to surround that QB with better talent they're not going to be a top AFC team.  Because every time they play a top echelon team this is going to be the result.  

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

McD is who he is and not about to change his spots. This is how he's obtained a HC job and acquired the power at OBD to implement his vision for this franchise. 

It's not new that he's a defense-first coach who, I surmise, wants to win with great defense and a safe offense.  

The off-season personnel and in-game decisions illustrate that so often it can no longer be ignored.

I don't care what he says before and after games.  If he doesn't acclimate to a rapidly changing NFL and begin to surround that QB with better talent they're not going to be a top AFC team.  Because every time they play a top echelon team this is going to be the result.  

Yep. Well said. He's very good. I'm glad we have him. But he is the Nate Peterman guy. He has to change and adjust. If he changes he has a chance to be truly great. If he's stubborn he has the chance to be Marty Shottenheimer. 

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

Daboll already told the media some of those calls are directive he receives from mcdermott, actually.

I surely think McD holds Daboll back. 

Mcdermott MUST learn from this and grow... you cant go conservative with a 7 point lead against the pats its just dumb

Honestly McDermotts conservative and gutless playcalling almost lost us the steelers game... almost.

Look I like McD a lot, but he has to learn and grow.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

They play super conservative on offense and want to keep it close and make a big play in crunch time.  The strategy is not terrible, but the defense had bad tackling and couldn't defend the screens. They must learn how to protect against all out blitz defenses also.

The part that is weird is that McDermott and his staff coach/call plays like they have absolutely no faith in Josh Allen whatsoever and are extremely aware of his weaknesses.  They really do.  It's not much different than their approach to Tyrod.  

I suggest this is weird because I do not think they actually think about Allen in that way.  I think they believe in him but you wouldn't know it from how they use him.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. Well said. He's very good. I'm glad we have him. But he is the Nate Peterman guy. He has to change and adjust. If he changes he has a chance to be truly great. If he's stubborn he has the chance to be Marty Shottenheimer. 

For now it's nice to get into the playoffs, but Bills fans will want more than just an appearance.  At some point, winning a post-season game will be the expectation and I'm not so sure McD's vision is consistent with doing that.  Schottenheimer could well be the comparison if McD can't figure out a way to beat the better AFC teams.  They're 0-3 against NE and Baltimore, so unless he figures things out offensively I'm not sure about where he's going.

That said, his decisions in offensive personnel and subsequent strategy have me concerned.  They've scored 21 points per in only 6 of 15 games this season and those opponents were not good.  There's a need for a significant investment still on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mc D is too conservative he sits on leads he doesn’t blitz enough he tries to run out the game and he ends up losing. You don’t see New England sit on a lead they score as many points as they can

How many times are the bills going to get to the playoffs being in the division with New England when we’re there we have to take a avantage of it  

I haven’t seen McD coach a team that beat New England since he’s been here either. If I was an owner and you couldn’t win one game against New England or a playoff game I would think about showing you the door. 

Edited by popcornpam