A Few Thoughts about the *Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

20 minutes ago, Figster said:

There are no morals victory here Virgil, of that I do agree. On the other hand though I can't help but wonder If the loss puts Buffalo in better shape going into the post season.  Week 17 game with the Jets is meaningless now and gives the Buffalo Bills a good opportunity to rest the starters. 

The loss makes this Bills even more hungry going into the playoffs IMO.  Buffalo is proving it can play with some of the leagues bigggest juggernauts.

Clean slate in 2 weeks fellas with a shot at the Superbowl!!!

The real fun is just getting started... 

To me, and maybe I’m spoiled already, I’m only thinking about playoff wins once we clinch.   So, not only losing to a Playoff team, but making it look easy for them on offense is a problem for me.  

Yes, knowing we can rest our starters is nice. But I want to know we can beat a playoff team and I don’t right now.  I have no reason to believe it would be different a third time playing them.  I definitely don’t have any reason to believe we can beat the Ravens in Baltimore. 

I just wanted to see it once and I wanted it against the Pats.  

And ZERO part of me thought we were holding back in our gameplan.  The team wanted it and this was what we put out there.  

So yes, I’m pissed.  We got to be happy we broke the drought two years ago.  We got to be happy about 10 wins last week.  

Now it’s about the playoffs and getting more wins.  

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds should be rushing the qb more on passing downs imo. The lack of pressure coupled with the soft zone made it too easy and comfortable for Brady. Make him uncomfortable right from the start, send six if that's what it takes to hit Brady. Especially in a mostly meaningless game for the Bills, Brady should have been bruised and beaten by the end from getting hit so much.

• Like (+1) 2

There were several negatives in this game for the Bills.  I was surprised at how poorly they tackled in this game, some blatant missed tackles which is not characteristic of this team. The offense once again started out of the gate seemingly unprepared and did not execute well at all for most of the first half, and then got stymied again in the second half.  
Still, they managed to make a very close game of it.  The thing is its clear the Bills did not play their best game yet still managed to be a play away from a tie at least.  I think the Patriots did play their best game, they made a lot of little plays and were effective in most facets of the game. Really the surprising thing on this game is Patriots didn't score more.  if you looked at the TOP and stats this game almost seemed like it was lopsided,  However once the Bills DO play their good full game, which we haven't seen much of, they may yet surprise. 

6 minutes ago, dakrider said:

There were several negatives in this game for the Bills.  I was surprised at how poorly they tackled in this game, some blatant missed tackles which is not characteristic of this team. 

Missed tackles has been their biggest problem the entire season. They would be a legendary defense without the numerous missed tackles. Not sure where that is coming from 

5 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Didn’t read it all as you’re saying to put Tre on a slot receiver. Ummmm, no. They double teamed him and that is the way to handle it. 

We had a chance to tie with seconds left in their house with a second year QB, a suspect O line, limited O weapons and no true edge rushers. 

Righting a large ship is a process and if you’ve ever led one of those changes you can understand. If not, you always think you can do it better. 

The edge rusher is the only thing I could complain about. 

Refs are letting everything go against Hughes. 

Half of his rushes at the qb could be used as the Brokeback mountain cover art with how much the o lineman was hugging him from behind. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

The edge rusher is the only thing I could complain about. 

Refs are letting everything go against Hughes. 

Half of his rushes at the qb could be used as the Brokeback mountain cover art with how much the o lineman was hugging him from behind. 

It happens so often. Granted, because of the TV angles of the live play we see his rush every time easier than most. But it's pretty obvious. 

55 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To me, and maybe I’m spoiled already, I’m only thinking about playoff wins once we clinch.   So, not only losing to a Playoff team, but making it look easy for them on offense is a problem for me.  

Yes, knowing we can rest our starters is nice. But I want to know we can beat a playoff team and I don’t right now.  I have no reason to believe it would be different a third time playing them.  I definitely don’t have any reason to believe we can beat the Ravens in Baltimore. 

I just wanted to see it once and I wanted it against the Pats.  

And ZERO part of me thought we were holding back in our gameplan.  The team wanted it and this was what we put out there.  

So yes, I’m pissed.  We got to be happy we broke the drought two years ago.  We got to be happy about 10 wins last week.  

Now it’s about the playoffs and getting more wins.  

I understand, 

I really wish the Buffalo Bills could have added a fella like A J Green to the Bills roster before the trade deadline.

Best option Buffalo has now in my humble opinion Virgil is to get the TE position more involved in the game plan.

Go hard Knox...

Edited by Figster

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

I understand, 

I really wish the Buffalo Bills could have added a fella like A J Green to the Bills roster before the trade deadline.

Best option Buffalo has now in my humble pinion Virgil is to get the TE position more involved in the game plan.

Go hard Knox...

There was one play when the announcers were saying that Josh needs to get rid of the ball quicker and on the replay they were showing NOT ONE of the three receivers in his vision had even finished their pattern and looked for the ball. Not one. It was ridiculous. There was nothing and no one to throw at. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There was one play when the announcers were saying that Josh needs to get rid of the ball quicker and on the replay they were showing NOT ONE of the three receivers in his vision had even finished their pattern and looked for the ball. Not one. It was ridiculous. There was nothing and no one to throw at. 

B B Defense is stingy enough to make a grown man cry,

and you have to give them some credit...

1 minute ago, Figster said:

B B Defense is stingy enough to make a grown man cry,

and you have to give them some credit...

I do but not on that play. That was all on us. Not one of those receivers, more than 15-20 yards downfield, even started to look for the ball before he had to throw it. It's possible one of them ran the wrong route but not one of them even turned their head to look for the ball. I love John Brown but some plays he doesn't run his pattern to the end and sometimes Josh throws to him and if he's running full speed he may have a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I do but not on that play. That was all on us. Not one of those receivers, more than 15-20 yards downfield, even started to look for the ball before he had to throw it. It's possible one of them ran the wrong route but not one of them even turned their head to look for the ball. I love John Brown but some plays he doesn't run his pattern to the end and sometimes Josh throws to him and if he's running full speed he may have a chance. 

Clearly the Bills WR position could use an upgrade. Nothing against Brown or Beasley.

A bigger sized legit 1 to compliment them and the Bills are golden.

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm objective, we were kind of lucky to be in it.  It felt like the Patriots dominated a lot of that game, and certainly TOP.  We had a couple of great plays, that some might also describe as a bit flukey, but it's football & those are part of the game as much as anything.

I'm 100% spent on losing to that team so much.  Over the years, the Jets & Phins have split w/ them much more - we have been swept so many times.  It's hard to deal with at this point.  Not digging this feeling, at all.

I do hate everything they do at this point - but a lot of it is the stuff that makes them great.  Brady completely fakes me out watching on TV - I can't imagine what it must be like to defend against him.  He sells every fake incredibly well, and even a great D can't help but let it fool them once in awhile.  

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

IMO the fact both Burkhead and Michel ran for 95 and 96 yards was the difference in the game.  That’s why the passing game worked the LB bit on the PA passes.  

this was the first game the Pats O didn’t look like a pile of goo against a good to elite D. 

Burkhead only had 22 yards but the Pats had a great game plan with pounding the rock often, screens, and play actions.  Our LB's bit hard on almost every play action.  Beane and Frazier called too conservative a game as I think for whatever reason they thought enough of Brady to think he'd kill us if we blitzed.

To simplify things beyond the x's and o's, the Pats simply wanted it more after hearing all week how Brady was done and their offense was trash.  Meanwhile, our defense seemed to be sleepwalking for the most part as if they read their own press clippings all week.  Missing tackles and losing the battle at the line of scrimmage rarely leads to a win. 

5 hours ago, steven50 said:

some people are gonna lose their minds if Miami bets them next week

....I thought today would be the day the Bills would announce their presence as an upper echelon team with a signature win and vanquish a long time foe.  

I enjoy watching Allen play.  I enjoyed watching him play today.  He continues to be very entertaining to watch and you can see the toolset on display.  At some point, you have to call it what it is...super athletic kid, that can make some big plays, but he is always going to be erratic....that's just the way it is.  He's a roller coaster ride from play to play and from game to game.

.....I'd like to think the Bills can defeat the Texans, because that's who you've got...that's locked in now.  

I'll be rooting for Fitzmagic and the dolphins to wreck New Englands first round bye ..... would have been cool if it happened today..Miami has been a thorn in the Pats side many times...maybe they got one left....not counting on it...so......

....KC will face either the Steelers or Titans at Arrowhead...we will win that...and we will go to NE and finish the job.  I'm counting on you Buffalo to handle the Texans and then going into B-more and winning that game.

We'll see you at Arrowhead for the AFCCG.  GO BILLS!  (and Chiefs!)

• Like (+1) 2

1. I understand the emotions we are all going through because it is the
    Pats and they almost always beat us, but----.

2. They were the better team on the field yesterday unfortunately.

3. Those of you talking about next year forget it. With free agency and the

. crap shoot that is the draft, who would have thought the Rams would go

from the Super Bowl to missing the playoffs. Changes not predictable.

4. How many times over the years has Edelman destroyed us. Inexcusable.

5. 4th and inches in the 4th quarter and punting?  Again, playing not to win,

but not to lose.

6. Allen. He is the Bills franchise guy for the  next 15 years. Too good to trade,

but disagree if you want, not good enough to get to or win the SB.  You all

know all the  franchise guys I am talking about in the league. Rivers,

Carr, Stafford, Ryan, Dalton, Luck, Big Ben, Rogers, and have I left anyone

else out? If anyone out there knows how to teach Allen and all other QBs

how to be more accurate, bottle it and you will become wealthy. 

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think this is the defense we'll see in the playoffs. We didn't throw in any wrinkles, looked to me like it was basic zone or man coverage across the board. That's not how we've been playing before today.

The offense I don't really have excuses for because we've seen the same crappy situational play calling all season long. I'd like to think Daboll won't call mindless 1 yard runs in the playoffs over and over again but it's a recurring issue.

Josh is great scrambling and getting that tough 1 yard on 3rd or 4th and 1 .. but we do not get meaningful yards when we design run. Our first down play selection was abysmal .. we ran 11 times on first down (excluding a scramble when the play was intended to be a pass) and got 9 yards total on those plays. We threw 10 times on first down, but most of those were in the final minutes of the first and second half's and we got 36 yards and a TD. When we were not in those last minute drives everyone knew exactly what was coming .. which is why you got less than a yard per carry .. and you put Josh and company in obvious passing downs. 

To put it simply, the Bills were outphysicaled on both sides of the ball. #93 owned Mitch Morse. Would probably like to see Feliciano play center and move Ford inside. Milano just isn't physical enough. Hopefully Nsekhe is back for the playoff run. We all know that Josh needs another receiving threat opposite Smoke. Go get AJ Green!! My major disappointment was the defensive effort. This final game I'd like to see Josh airing it out for half, then sit him. On to the playoffs

Horrible game. Worst defensive game of the year. Horrible offensive play calling. Uninspired, boring and totally predictable. Josh was off target, our receivers have the dropsies. Lack of effort on contesting the catch.  There was the almost no misdirection on offense. The Dallas game both the offense and defense mixed it up, were aggressive and unpredictable and it worked. This game the play calling on O and D was vanilla and predictable. Brady had all day and only had pressure on a couple rare plays. And the Pats O line was dinged up.

I know the player association makes it tough, but I would make the defense practice proper tacking technique till they puked. The receivers would be practicing with the jugs till their hands were too sore to continue. 

Poor game-planning, coaching and sloppy execution of the basics all around. This team is still just a pretender until proves it by being a real contender against the best teams, and not just the bad teams and the other pretenders.

Edited by simpleman