A Few Thoughts about the *Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don’t buy that. McD, the coaching staff, The players, Beane, The Pegulas... they all wanted this game badly.  They wanted nothing more than to start the changing of the guard.

Well they need to go take a long hard look because they sure didnt prepare like it was a big deal.  The defense made Tommy look like he was 25 again today.  Daboll threw a drive away after Allen put them up with predictable play calls.  If that is our best look scheme/preparation wise were miles away

• Like (+1) 2

Zebras were homers on a few calls.   The spot on the run in Q2 was bad....face mask call not made on Josh QB sneak was bad as Collins turned Josh's head 90degrees before he let go.   I wonder, do the officials watch the QB on a QB sneak.  Apparently not.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think this is the defense we'll see in the playoffs. We didn't throw in any wrinkles, looked to me like it was basic zone or man coverage across the board. That's not how we've been playing before today.

The offense I don't really have excuses for because we've seen the same crappy situational play calling all season long. I'd like to think Daboll won't call mindless 1 yard runs in the playoffs over and over again but it's a recurring issue.

I posted about the scheme in the game day thread. It was clear as day to me that we weren’t “all in” trying to win that game. Especially defensively. 

Pats had a lot more to play for at home than we did and still barely got it done. Let’s go back to Foxboro in the playoffs and see what happens. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Virgil said:

7 - Allen - This is a hard one for me because he made two of his best throws of the season, but also left 11 points on the field.  Allen missed Knox twice for touchdowns.  The first one wasn't as easy a throw, but definitely makeable for an NFL starter.  His last one would have tied the game and there's no excuse for that miss.  He had a couple of misses in the middle of the field that will happen and I'm not too worried about for him.  But man, his deep throws!  His bomb to Knox was first first lofted deep ball completion of the season and it was at a perfect time.  His bomb to Brown was shaded of Jacksonville, but this time he threw before the break and hit Brown perfectly in stride.  (Side note:  Gilmore got faked out of his shoes on that play for his first TD against him of the season).  Allen did a great job not turning the ball over and made some solid runs.  He had a beautiful double-clutch, side arm pass to Beasley for a big gain as well.  Assuming he doesn't play next week, he will barely eclipse 3k yards this season.

I thought when it happened, and definitely upon seeing a replay, that the first one was on Knox.

IMO the play design was clearly to have Knox running a corner route off the left side of the formation.  Allen's throw was to the back of the end zone. Knox ended his route at the front pylon. That's..... Not the right "corner", Dawson

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Sometimes I forget the reasons beyond Marsha, Hoodie, and cheap-shot Edelman as to why I hate the Pats, but then I watch a game and see all the things they do to win and it just reminds me how terrible I believe they are for the league and can't wait until they are done.  The ways they push the playbooks and stretch so many rules that the refs are bound to miss some.  It's infuriating and they will always be the Cheaters to me.  Winning or not, being on a team that I would want my kids to play for matters to me.  There's nothing about the Pats style of winning or culture that impresses me.  I wouldn't take any of it for even one season, even if it meant a Super-Bowl victory.  With that, you can sense my mood and how this will go as I said before the game, there are no moral victories here.

I don't agree that they are bad for the league. The point of football and sports in general is to win. If they pushes the rules so be it. Why is it a lot of older Bills fans love the Blue Collar lunch pail play by the rules Rockpile days of old?

50 minutes ago, stony said:

True, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched.  

There is absolutely no way we are beating the Ravens on the road with that offense.  The only way it can happen is to open things up, let Josh fling it and hope for the best.  

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I asked myself before this game, do you show all your cards?  I really would love to have seen some situational blitzing.  That said I do hope we have a bunch of things up our sleeves because we will be playing in January this year.

And the answer to your question is a resounding NO. 

A weaker coaching staff would have given in to the fans desires and put more into the game plan today.  But this is exactly what you would expect from the Bills if they truly believe in their process.

Virgil's first few points clearly showed that the Bills were not going to show their cards in this game and they didn't. 

The objective of this coaching staff is to do everything in their power to win that first playoff game.  And today that's exactly what they did.  Yes it's frustrating but THIS YEAR it's about that playoff game in 2 weeks.  NEXT YEAR, it will be all about knocking the pats off their thrown.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, goldenboy81 said:

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Playing them again would mean both the wildcard teams need to win in the first round.  Or, we have to beat the Ravens on the road

This is a possibility. We have a 10% chance a win today gives us the division. Not worth openong up the playbook. That said, this game was important to the Pats as they had everything to lose.  Im not even slightly upset about the outcome of the game. We are in the post season. We are just as much in the post season as this morning and will be just as much after next weeks game. Trusting the process. Trusting Josh will do what he needs to improve this off season. Trusting they will improve on the weapons next year. Lets Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I asked myself before this game, do you show all your cards?  I really would love to have seen some situational blitzing.  That said I do hope we have a bunch of things up our sleeves because we will be playing in January this year.

This is the one I meant to quote. 

Edited by fansince88

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Possibly. This coaching staff plans things several weeks ahead of time. We went from an aggressive pressure defense to a vanilla rush 4 defense. I didn't see any slot corner blitzes, we didn't use Edmunds the same we have been the past few weeks, and we didn't have White shadowing Edelman. Maybe I'm giving McDermott and Frazier too much credit but I think they're better than that performance today. I think they're saving some of that stuff for meaningful games, starting with Houston.

but why?..its not like there isnt already plenty of footage of that out there from our D.    He wasnt protecting the D by being vanilla because all it did is keep them on the field a lot longer.   Not to mention losing to the Pats doesnt exactly reinforce the idea to young players that this is a different team from years past, with a winning mindset and the ability to do it.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Honestly this was probably the defenses worst game  No pressure, poor tackling, playing soft coverage on third downs.  Especially considering what the Pats have on offense and tennis elbow Tommy.  Patriots without a doubt were way more physical on both sides.  Bills OL was terrible. 

Exactly, our defense in game 1 kept us in it.  In game 2, they didn't have an answer, soft tackling, unlike against the Steelers and game 1.  In fact, we didn't look like the same team as last week.  BB can do that to you.

1 minute ago, Ga boy said:

Exactly, our defense in game 1 kept us in it.  In game 2, they didn't have an answer, soft tackling, unlike against the Steelers and game 1.  In fact, we didn't look like the same team as last week.  BB can do that to you.

Maybe. Imo we did it to ourselves. To me there was no reason not to put Tre on Edelman and let Wallace and Kevin Johnson cover Harry and Sanue, which they could. We got away from blitzing, which was what completely transformed our defense the last month. We let them do what they do best. And we didn't stop them. And our one bugaboo, which is poor tackling, killed us. But that is the norm not the aberration. On offense, when we gambled we did best.

Same with the Steelers game. Much was made with bringing back DiMarco and Lee Smith and slowing down the offense but it was a disaster. The best plays except for the bomb to Brown in the Steelers game, were all from what we had been doing. The worst plays were back to the bunching up offense. It didn't work at all. Josh is clearly better when he is unbridled. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Well they need to go take a long hard look because they sure didnt prepare like it was a big deal.  The defense made Tommy look like he was 25 again today.  Daboll threw a drive away after Allen put them up with predictable play calls.  If that is our best look scheme/preparation wise were miles away

they played their hearts out 

learned tough lessons out there

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I really think the Bills just played a very conservative game and didn't show much at all.  Bad tackling by all the LB's really hurt the D.

5 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I really think the Bills just played a very conservative game and didn't show much at all.  Bad tackling by all the LB's really hurt the D.

Sure tackling hurt them. But in this game, where the playoffs were no longer in doubt, why wouldn't you show it all and go for the win if not for broke. This is exactly the time to do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are no morals victory here Virgil, of that I do agree. On the other hand though I can't help but wonder If the loss puts Buffalo in better shape going into the post season.  Week 17 game with the Jets is meaningless now and gives the Buffalo Bills a good opportunity to rest the starters. 

The loss makes this Bills even more hungry going into the playoffs IMO.  Buffalo is proving it can play with some of the leagues bigggest juggernauts.

Clean slate in 2 weeks fellas with a shot at the Superbowl!!!

The real fun is just getting started... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1