Josh makes hard throws, misses easy ones

Rockee96

He is getting 3 years min from me. Very raw prospect from Wyo, in college they didn't throw a lot of screens and dumps, they stretched the field in a pro system so he needs more reps and another off-season to work on it. He's shown improvement from year 1 to year 2. Way too much talent to not give him another year. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, MDH said:

He’s not that accurate but you can live with that. His biggest issue is his processing time. We need to see a big jump next year in how quickly reads a D and finds the correct guy to throw to. If he doesn’t improve dramatically next season then this regime will have a big decision to make.

As it is all you have to do is all out blitz him and he freezes and tries to run out of it instead of planting his foot and firing the ball to an open guy. He just doesn’t know where to go with the ball.

I think this is right, although I don't think the improvement needs to be dramatic. Steady improvement over the next two-three years will be sufficient with his other qualities--and with the better weapons he will presumably having going forward. 

On 12/21/2019 at 7:02 PM, LanderPoke said:

What a ridiculous post. I can't read this board often because of the asinine comments about Josh. Throw Josh out and see what happens to your crummy franchise. lmfao. You are the Bills. The freaking Bills! You are in the playoffs and it's largely because you have a good QB, finally. It's asinine how Josh is treated here. I hope he gets out of Buffalo and goes to a place where he gets real coaching and has real WRs and fans that appreciate him. 

Settle down, Poke visitor.  I know Josh is your boy, but he's our boy now too and we're allowed to critique him.  He's not where he needs to be yet to win games against the toughest and best defenses.  Some is on the talent around him, some is on the playcalling, and some is on HIM.

Josh has hundreds of people showing up at the airport in the freezing cold at whatever time to cheer for the team.  His freakin' selfie is hanging up in the Buffalo Art Gallery!   It's not as though Buffalo fans don't support him and their team.

42 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Quite accurate. And speaking of, because he finally hooked up with Knox for a bomb, his other Accuracy deficiencies are to be forgotten now?

YTD...

46 Passes greater than 30 yards & 6 completions. That would be 13%! Woefully inadequate. 
And then there were those over the top misses in the back of the End Zone.

He has a way to go...

I'd love to know where you got that stat.  46 passes greater than 30 yards would be 3+ per game.  I don't think we throw that many deep balls per game.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

You see, OP? Bills fans simply can't admit that Allen's inaccuracy will never allow him to be a consistent passer. They couldn't wait to throw Tyrod under the bus, but they just refuse to see Allen  in an unbiased fashion. The defense carried this team all season, but they give credit to an average-at-best QB. I'd give him another year to prove himself with som upgrades (especially WR and OL) and if he can't improve his accuracy and his ability to handle pressure, trade him and try again. If Cam Newton becomes available, I'd try that route depending on Cam's health. Otherwise, trade up for a QB in the 2022 Spring draft. Josh is a phenominal scrambler, but pocket passing is what makes a QB great as well as the ability to throw under pressure. That's why Brady is the GOAT. Deadly accuracy and quick/correct decision making.

Oh, for toast sake.  The man's completion percentage improved 6% over last year.   Since the standard deviation for completion % on QB that have played 10 games is 4%, that's probably a significant step.  Likewise YPG +33 yds is likely significant.  Allen stays in the pocket more, and extends plays to throw rather than run more than he did last year.  What is there in those improvements that say to any rational person "never"?

It's the first year for most of these guys in a very complex offense, and the execution of the players around him is not always what it should be, either.

Go to the Bills and offer your services as a GM because the strategy of trading for Cam Newton to pay him big bucks while dumping a healthy young QB who showed significant improvement from year 1 to year 2  is certainly a notion.  What's Cam's lifetime completion percentage again, and how many years in his career has it been over 60%? 

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh does not "consistantly miss the easy ones" he has some misses every game just like most QBs do......he overthrows deep throws (which are not high percentage throws anyway) and has GREATLY IMPROVED his short game which for some reason Deboll keeps taking out of the damn playbook.   

The playcalling is just mystifying to me.  Really head scratching.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Settle down, Poke visitor.  I know Josh is your boy, but he's our boy now too and we're allowed to critique him.  He's not where he needs to be yet to win games against the toughest and best defenses.  Some is on the talent around him, some is on the playcalling, and some is on HIM.

Josh has hundreds of people showing up at the airport in the freezing cold at whatever time to cheer for the team.  His freakin' selfie is hanging up in the Buffalo Art Gallery!   It's not as though Buffalo fans don't support him and their team.

I'd love to know where you got that stat.  46 passes greater than 30 yards would be 3+ per game.  I don't think we throw that many deep balls per game.

From Mike Lombardi in his Podcast yesterday. You can find it here- GM Shuffle with Michael Lombardi and Adnan Virk Podcast Online At PodParadise.com. Pretty sure, I quoted accurately. If you’ve never heard of him, Lombardi has written an award winning book- Gridiron Genius, worked for Al Davis, Bill Walsh and was GM of the Cleveland Clowns, as well as being friends with Bellicheat. Every football fan should read his book for the lessons of success, which McDermott & Beane are using.

He is both highly opinionated and very entertaining and has a 44-23-2 record ATS picking NFL- not outstanding, but excellent for sure! He likes Allen and outlines his strengths, but doubts that he will lead the Bills to the Promised Land, because of of his Accuracy issues.

13 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

From Mike Lombardi in his Podcast yesterday. You can find it here- GM Shuffle with Michael Lombardi and Adnan Virk Podcast Online At PodParadise.com. Pretty sure, I quoted accurately. If you’ve never heard of him, Lombardi has written an award winning book- Gridiron Genius, worked for Al Davis, Bill Walsh and was GM of the Cleveland Clowns, as well as being friends with Bellicheat. Every football fan should read his book for the lessons of success, which McDermott & Beane are using.

He is both highly opinionated and very entertaining and has a 44-23-2 record ATS picking NFL- not outstanding, but excellent for sure! He likes Allen and outlines his strengths, but doubts that he will lead the Bills to the Promised Land, because of of his Accuracy issues.

I've heard of Lombardi and have a mixed view of him (knows stuff, as you say very opinionated), but please sanity check your numbers - I went through Weeks 7 to 16 using the charts at NFL.com Advanced Stats.  We threw 16 passes over 30 yds from LOS in those 9 games, which is 1.7 passes of that yardage/game.  Of those, 5 were complete and 11 incomplete (a couple of the deep balls may have been essentially throw aways).  5/16 is 30%, which isn't great, but bear in mind the overall completion percentage for passes >30 yds is significantly lower than overall pass completion

So for the numbers you quoted to be correct, we would have to have thrown 30 passes over 30 yards in Weeks 1-6?  Since there's a bye in there, that would be 6 long passes per game.  I don't recall that many deep shots.

So yeah, I'm sorry, but I think either your quote is wrong or Lombardi is wrong.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, LanderPoke said:

What a ridiculous post. I can't read this board often because of the asinine comments about Josh. Throw Josh out and see what happens to your crummy franchise. lmfao. You are the Bills. The freaking Bills! You are in the playoffs and it's largely because you have a good QB, finally. It's asinine how Josh is treated here. I hope he gets out of Buffalo and goes to a place where he gets real coaching and has real WRs and fans that appreciate him. 

Your post is really garbage. All the OP is saying is that this quarterback cannot win a Super Bowl. I love this kid but he is inaccurate. If your goal is to win 10 games and be a playoff team, then let's be really happy. By next year that will be old and the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. All Allen has shown is that he is good enough to give them another year. He has not shown that he is good enough to go all in

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've heard of Lombardi and have a mixed view of him (knows stuff, as you say very opinionated), but please sanity check your numbers - I went through Weeks 7 to 16 using the charts at NFL.com Advanced Stats.  We threw 16 passes over 30 yds from LOS in those 9 games, which is 1.7 passes of that yardage/game.  Of those, 5 were complete and 11 incomplete (a couple of the deep balls may have been essentially throw aways).

So for the numbers you quoted to be correct, we would have to have thrown 30 passes over 30 yards in Weeks 1-6?  Since there's a bye in there, that would be 6 long passes per game.  I don't recall that many deep shots.

So yeah, I'm sorry, but I think either your quote is wrong or Lombardi is wrong.

Must be Lombardi then. Just listened again, as I did yesterday and stopped the tape to go back to hear the same thing. It’s at the 9 minute mark. 4/44 + Patriots game, which I give him 2/2. The Stats and my memory don’t recall another +30 yarder! 

But Lombardi is high on the Accuracy, as the sole thing keeping the Bills from getting better.

Don’t get me wrong. I would lump Daboll’s poor play calls in many games + the lack of, at least ONE VERY GOOD 6-4 WR/TE to catch those high balls, along with the inaccuracy. Resolve all 3 and we have a winner!

11 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Your post is really garbage. All the OP is saying is that this quarterback cannot win a Super Bowl. I love this kid but he is inaccurate. If your goal is to win 10 games and be a playoff team, then let's be really happy. By next year that will be old and the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. All Allen has shown is that he is good enough to give them another year. He has not shown that he is good enough to go all in

Russell Wilson and Ben R aside, there are no QBs (to my knowledge) who have led their franchise to a SB victory by their second year. So keep that in mind while you evaluate Allen. Everybody and their uncle and aunt on this board agree that Allen is a work in progress but he has developed really well from his rookie to second season. Do you disagree ? 

Last night you saw how a great QB (Rodgers) also struggled to make some throws which, in the past, he would complete with his eyes closed. Yet, he did not look as crisp perhaps due to the newness of the offense and lack of playmakers. My point is that even the great ones need a strong supporting cast. 

Against NE, Allen was not very good for sure. But an inaccurate QB does not throw those two TDs. 

I would be more agreeable with your post if we add O receiving talent in the offseason and are still sitting here a year from now contemplating Allen's issues.  

Edited by Fan in Chicago