Josh makes hard throws, misses easy ones

Rockee96

4 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Daboll puts him into a bind too much with conservative throw away plays  We were in 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 10 way too many times  OL could not create holes at all.  Given the D couldnt get off the field and O line gave us zero run game we still had a chance to tie and it was all Allen  That run, run, run drive after we were up 17-13 didnt help  I though we would be "fearless' with nothing on the line today. McConservative though otherwise

Thank you!

At least someone says it. IMO mcdermott doesnt deserve coach of the year for this reason.

He will NEVER beat belichick with that style of gutless playcalling and its McDermott who MUST learn this lesson.

We need McDermott to grow as a coach before allen will be allowed to grow as a QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

will he ever settle down and be in rhythm all the time

dear GOD if he was

I'm honestly not sure it's about him 'settling down'.  From what my eyes are seeing during the game, when he has the most time in the pocket, and is the most settled, that seems to be when passes 'sail' on him.  I fear the kid honestly doesn't know his own strength.  It seems to me that when he doesn't have time to think about a pass, or is on the run and throws, he 'flicks' his arm, and the pass gets where it needs to be.  But when he actually has time in the pocket, and winds up, and 'steps into' a pass, he seems to 'put too much mustard' on the pass, and they end up 2-5 yards past the intended receiver.  Those passes are 'on target', if they were just 2-5 yards shorter;  meaning, they're where the receiver would be if it had just a little less UMMPHH on the pass.

That's why I don't think it's an 'accuracy' issue.  He generally isn't throwing 2-5 yards WIDE (side-to-side) where the receiver would want it.  His misses seem to always be a couple yards longer than where he would want to place them.  And I don't know how to explain that other than saying he just doesn't yet have the touch/doesn't know his own strength!

I don't think it's 'not being on the same page with the receiver' (that's what we generally say when a receiver and thrower haven't had time to figure out how fast the receiver is in relation to the ball-thrower).  I think Josh knows how fast Brown is.  Knox - they may still be feeling it out, but I think they probably are on the same page there too.  Beas - he generally is coming across the field, and he found him several times today.  I think that hook-up needs to be used A LOT MORE.

I really just think it's Josh not yet knowing how to take some 'mustard' off the ball to put it where the target will end up.  But boy howdy, if he can figure that out, and if we can get some receivers with some size, I think this offense is going to be incredibly hard to defend.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Pats*** D stepped up big today.

Josh needs to get better.  He will work on that.

Bills likely end 11-5 and will try to win a first round game in the playoffs.

All in all a pretty good year so far.

And that would be the best record since some of these doofuses have been alive.  I'll take 10+win seasons for the next 20 years, please :)  Thank you very much!  And this one could be 11-5, even if we sit starters! :) 

Edited by TtownBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

His biggest problem, the long ball, he threw two perfect passes, one for a score and one to the one. 

And neither one of those, from what I remember, did he have a nice clean pocket to work from (lol, he rarely does).  But it seems to me that that's when he's his most accurate, when he's 'slinging' it, and not thinking about the 'fundamentals' of the throwing motion.  I bet he's thinking about it too much when he has time.  And on those occasions when he's hurried, but finds a way to get it off, it's more 'natural' to him, and he finds his touch.  Hopefully it all comes together for him with another off-season of private coaching.  I'm confident he'll figure it out.  Or at least I hope :)  It'd be an incredible waste of God-given talent if not!

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Allen openly acknowledges that he sucked in first half and was jittery. Says he needs to figure out how not to be jittery at the beginning of games. At least he's not shying away from what we all see.

That's probably why Daboll called so many runs early on.  He has seemed nervous to start some of the bigger games.  He should be fine when he beats them in January...

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I know you're not being rude, unfair or mean, but you're going to get attacked for this.

All year, it's anyone but Josh who's the problem. Whether it's Daboll (most popular scapegoat, as the OC always is), the O-line, the run game, kicking, the defense, WR's, McDermott, drafting, etc. it's ALWAYS going to be anyone but Josh's fault for the majority of people on here.

Everyone loves his attitude, effort, and leadership so much that they're willing to overlook all major issues and overcompensate by being hyper critical on everyone else.

And on the flip side, when we win, the threads and comments everywhere are flooded with "Great job Josh!" or "Allen is the franchise!" or "Game ball Allen!" even when he goes long stretches of doing nothing but miss wide open receivers, take bad sad sacks that either kill drives or straight up knock us out of scoring range, etc. and it was the defense that dominated the opponent & even gave us a chance to win in the first place.

But under those videos and articles, you still just see people giving Josh Allen all the credit in the world, no matter how many turnovers, no matter how many sacks, or how poor is accuracy or stats were. If we won, it's Josh Allen that deserves the praise. He can go 12/25 for 139 yards 1 TD, 1 INT and be called "best QB since Jim Kelly!" even though the defense had multiple turnovers, sacks, and completely controlled an entire game. 

Sorry, I've rarely seen people just try so hard to will a QB to success, hoping that if they wish hard enough it'll just manifest into reality. All the while, those same people will find ways to dismiss or discredit QB's we passed over in favor of Allen (Mahomes, Watson, Jackson), trying to diminish their accomplishments, explain away their success, or outright say they're overrated, simply to try & overcompensate for Allen's on-field play. 

The s*** thing is I don't hate the guy at all, and think he's a mid-tier QB that can be a decent starter on teams that are carried by an elite defense. I just don't think he's shown the kind of growth needed to ever be in the category of "franchise" QB. He can look and talk like one all he wants, but on-field play is what matters. 

You expressed this better than I could have. I think you hit the nail right on the spot. I appreciate your thoughts. 

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I feel exactly the opposite.  This board became largely unreadable around the time we beat Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Folks here are freaking delusional and seem to have really short memories. 

Elaborate ?    Blowing out the cowboys made the board unreadable? 

Why are you even here ?   Allen’s Strong performance against the cowboys pissed you off that much ?   

Gross 

Edited by Teddy KGB

Allen is what he is... an extremely flawed QB who has the tools, desire, and work ethic to improve. I LOVE that he’s introspective and takes ownership when the offense sputters. I’d be more worried if he was “Tyrod like” and assessed the blame to “we” rather than “I”. Right now I don’t see him as a perennial “Super Bowl quality QB,” or future league MVP and last night I said we need to keep trying until we find that guy. With that said, I do believe he has what it takes to correct most of what ails him, so although he frustrates the hell outta me at times - mostly for not being at the level of the QBs we passed over - I’m gonna continue to ride with him. Here’s to hoping he gets it figured out and makes another jump in year 3. Go Bills!

I'm sorry, but if you have come to the conclusion that Allen will not be the guy, then I think you have failed to recognize just what this kid has shown and you have also ignored the massive improvement from last season.

He just needs more work and the team needs a few more pieces. Both those things are coming next season. 

I suspect you will be looking awfully foolish in the future for this post

In terms of quarterback development, would you rather have a quarterback who misses the easy throws but is talented enough to make throws very little quarterbacks could even dream of making, or a quarterback who makes easy dinks and dunks but can’t make a difficult throw? I’ll take Allen and expect his development to continue. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree 100%. Have been reading the player support articles out there and read them as trying to keep the young mans confidence up after a series of mediocre games.  The stats tell us that Josh is a great 4th quarter QB.  I would say “Josh you need to play 4 quarters”. If he played complete games we would be AFC East champs with out a doubt.  He has talent. He needs to put together complete games.  Playing “hero ball” in the fourth quarter only leads to losses against the best teams. 

On 12/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Rockee96 said:

I don't think Josh is our franchise QB. Yes he makes amazing throws, but he consistently misses the easy ones. That is not a recipe for success. I know he has great leadership, personality, and heart, but at the end of the day, you have to make the easy throws. I doubt that at this point, his accuracy will improve. It's not about the receivers, the o-line, or coaching - we're not going to be consistent winners with Josh as our QB. Yes, he is better than the QBs we've had since Jim, but I don't see him winning for us consistently. 

Why am I not suprised to see Troll nextmanup liking this comment?   Hmmm m

On 12/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Rockee96 said:

I don't think Josh is our franchise QB. Yes he makes amazing throws, but he consistently misses the easy ones. That is not a recipe for success. I know he has great leadership, personality, and heart, but at the end of the day, you have to make the easy throws. I doubt that at this point, his accuracy will improve. It's not about the receivers, the o-line, or coaching - we're not going to be consistent winners with Josh as our QB. Yes, he is better than the QBs we've had since Jim, but I don't see him winning for us consistently. 

OK so where to start with this

Josh does not "consistantly miss the easy ones" he has some misses every game just like most QBs do......he overthrows deep throws (which are not high percentage throws anyway) and has GREATLY IMPROVED his short game which for some reason Deboll keeps taking out of the damn playbook.   

You list all of the intangibles of a great QB...then are ready to make a decision on a QB (who we all knew was raw) in his SECOND YEAR IN A YEAR WHERE HE IS ONE OF THE TOPS IN TOTAL TOUCHDOWNS......and are ready to give up on him.  Forgive me for calling you short sighted

This team runs a offense on a collectve group of Smurfs...one of which is over 1000 yards receiving and having his best year (I wonder why that is?) and Bease is close to his best year (I wonder why that is?) and a rookie TE

Oh yeah.....when we talk about consistancy.....where does our best record in 20 years play into this?   We have gone from missing the playoffs EVERY YEAR to a team that literally can rest its starters in the last week of the year.....essentially manufacturing a playoff bye week....and playoffs....

Exactly what kind of "consistancy" are you looking for?

On 12/21/2019 at 7:54 PM, Rockee96 said:

So would you rather have Barkley playing since he makes the easy throws? Josh Allen is a work in progress. Will he make it all the way? I hope so. By the way what is your better option in the meantime. We have sucked for 20 years because we have sucked at the QB position. I am willing to give him the time to develop. He has definitely made strides over the last 2 years. Lets just see what happens  

On 12/21/2019 at 7:47 PM, BigDingus said:

I know you're not being rude, unfair or mean, but you're going to get attacked for this.

All year, it's anyone but Josh who's the problem. Whether it's Daboll (most popular scapegoat, as the OC always is), the O-line, the run game, kicking, the defense, WR's, McDermott, drafting, etc. it's ALWAYS going to be anyone but Josh's fault for the majority of people on here.

Everyone loves his attitude, effort, and leadership so much that they're willing to overlook all major issues and overcompensate by being hyper critical on everyone else.

And on the flip side, when we win, the threads and comments everywhere are flooded with "Great job Josh!" or "Allen is the franchise!" or "Game ball Allen!" even when he goes long stretches of doing nothing but miss wide open receivers, take bad sad sacks that either kill drives or straight up knock us out of scoring range, etc. and it was the defense that dominated the opponent & even gave us a chance to win in the first place.

But under those videos and articles, you still just see people giving Josh Allen all the credit in the world, no matter how many turnovers, no matter how many sacks, or how poor is accuracy or stats were. If we won, it's Josh Allen that deserves the praise. He can go 12/25 for 139 yards 1 TD, 1 INT and be called "best QB since Jim Kelly!" even though the defense had multiple turnovers, sacks, and completely controlled an entire game. 

Sorry, I've rarely seen people just try so hard to will a QB to success, hoping that if they wish hard enough it'll just manifest into reality. All the while, those same people will find ways to dismiss or discredit QB's we passed over in favor of Allen (Mahomes, Watson, Jackson), trying to diminish their accomplishments, explain away their success, or outright say they're overrated, simply to try & overcompensate for Allen's on-field play. 

The s*** thing is I don't hate the guy at all, and think he's a mid-tier QB that can be a decent starter on teams that are carried by an elite defense. I just don't think he's shown the kind of growth needed to ever be in the category of "franchise" QB. He can look and talk like one all he wants, but on-field play is what matters. 

So interesting how the same "fans" just flock together stroking each other

Yes....he is in fact wrong

You see, OP? Bills fans simply can't admit that Allen's inaccuracy will never allow him to be a consistent passer. They couldn't wait to throw Tyrod under the bus, but they just refuse to see Allen  in an unbiased fashion. The defense carried this team all season, but they give credit to an average-at-best QB. I'd give him another year to prove himself with som upgrades (especially WR and OL) and if he can't improve his accuracy and his ability to handle pressure, trade him and try again. If Cam Newton becomes available, I'd try that route depending on Cam's health. Otherwise, trade up for a QB in the 2022 Spring draft. Josh is a phenominal scrambler, but pocket passing is what makes a QB great as well as the ability to throw under pressure. That's why Brady is the GOAT. Deadly accuracy and quick/correct decision making.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, njbuff said:

I am patient with young QB's, but he missed a few today that would have won this game, even though the team playing very poorly as a whole.

Quite accurate. And speaking of, because he finally hooked up with Knox for a bomb, his other Accuracy deficiencies are to be forgotten now?

YTD...

46 Passes greater than 30 yards & 6 completions. That would be 13%! Woefully inadequate. 

And then there were those over the top misses in the back of the End Zone.

He has a way to go...