Brian Daboll has no future here

Tesla03

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

Star played a decent game, he didn't get trucked by a rb or whiff on tackles like Milano tonight. 

Over reaction Monday a couple of days early.

Almost every big hole they ran through was with star pushed off to the side. He also missed the tackle on the TD run. Whatever gap filler he is supposed to be is apparently the gap on the bench. It's why I hate the rotation so much. They can just not substitute and keep exploiting the same weak player over and over. 

5 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

My issue is he doesn't change personnel.  It's the same all the time....Brown, Beasley, Singularity running the same plays...with a smattering of Knox, Foster and Mckenzie.  They are not scoring enough.   Activate Yeldon for more rb pass options and Duke as the bigger physical receiver to give the offense more options.  I don't  understand they don't use them.

Daboll leans into the Bills’ offensive identity more than ever

While Allen stole the show, the mastermind behind all of it is offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. Even though the results and execution weren’t there early in the season, Daboll’s approach and game plans have been smart and calculated. It’s taken some time to figure out who the offense can trust and what grouping puts the Bills in the best position to succeed. However, since the Cleveland game, Daboll and the Bills have been on a roll with their up-tempo, no-huddle, substitution-less brand of offense.

from Joe Buscaglia’s writeup after the Dallas game. 

Edited by DCOrange

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Or maybe the OC is just used to working with a seasoned vet like Brady and doesn't actually understand the concept of getting a young QB in rhythm in order to build confidence.

Daboll does some good things, but overall it's our OC who isn't consistently executing, not our young QB, who essentially carried the team today and had a 102.7 Passer Rating.

I don’t know how you watched yesterday’s game and claimed our QB isn’t not consistently executing. 

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Lol this is dumb. The back shoulder corner end zone is not an easy shot as Kurt Warner said on TV. A lot of QBs miss on that time to time. Josh threw it safely so only his guy had a chance and we picked up 3 points on the drive. We lost by more than 4 buckaroo.

The throw wasn't back shoulder, nor should it have been.  It was on the last set of downs, meaning that we didn't score on the drive.  The route was open and it should have been a touchdown. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Come on man, I get Allen wasn't on par the whole game but where is the help for him? If he's struggling to throw how about a screen pass? Did we even throw one? Does this OC know what a screen pass is? We got burned once again for what seems like the millionth time against Brady and the screen pass, why is it so hard for any OC who comes here to even attempt them? Easy throws that Allen can get some confidence from. Most of the throws are 20+ yards down field and that's not just on Allen, if he has designed runs why not designed screen passes to get his swagger back? This offense lacks any sort of creativity. Like when you saw the Eagles win the SB against Tom Brady do you think Daboll would have had even half the balls to run that Philly special? 

Our screen gane sucks. Have you not been watching all year?

41 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Daboll leans into the Bills’ offensive identity more than ever

While Allen stole the show, the mastermind behind all of it is offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. Even though the results and execution weren’t there early in the season, Daboll’s approach and game plans have been smart and calculated. It’s taken some time to figure out who the offense can trust and what grouping puts the Bills in the best position to succeed. However, since the Cleveland game, Daboll and the Bills have been on a roll with their up-tempo, no-huddle, substitution-less brand of offense.

Yes this has worked against the  Miami's and Cincinnati's of the league, but against better teams it has not.  In their losses the Bills have averaged 15.8 points a game.  We are 22nd in the league in scoring at 19.9 per game.  If we are happy with mediocrity fine, if not try and change something. Use Duke,  Yeldon or whoever to add something they are lacking now. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/1480032/2019/12/22/7-observations-from-bills-patriots-josh-allens-moments-of-greatness-undone-by-inconsistency?source=shared-article

The infuriating end to the final drive

Regardless of the hot-and-cold quarterbacking Allen provided, the young quarterback was white-hot to begin their final offensive possession. He moved the ball with ease and racked up six first downs to get the Bills all the way down to New England’s 8-yard line. Despite all of their inefficiency throughout the game, Allen and the Bills had a good chance at forcing overtime. And then, the Bills got a bit too predictable for my liking.

Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has done a good job for most of the season while trying to manage life with a high-variance second-year quarterback. However, Daboll’s personnel grouping decision starting with first-and-goal was a misfire. Heading into the game, wide receiver Andre Roberts had participated in 96 offensive snaps all season and had a grand total of three receptions to his name. Usually, when he’s in the game, it means the Bills are likely to run the ball to the edge to take advantage of his blocking prowess. There have been a few examples of the Bills trying something unique with Roberts on the field, but they tend to run it wide when he’s in the game. The Patriots saw this, played the odds and thwarted the Allen sweep left for a 1-yard loss, which also set the tone for the next three downs. Allen flat missed Knox on second down, but then the Bills were in a negative, 3rd-and-long situation. From there, the Patriots brought pressure to Allen; he couldn’t do anything with it, and New England escaped with a close win. The Bills could have put themselves in a much better position to keep the Patriots on their toes to start the goal-to-go situation by maintaining the personnel that helped get them there in the first place. The Bills had the Patriots guessing, and then they took the guesswork out of it with the game hanging in the balance.

Exactly what I thought......  Oh & how about a big body & target to throw to in these situations.  Again I think of Duke WIlliams TD's (regular & pre-season) & how simple the plays were.

That first down play doomed them.  

And again no screens or short passes out of the gate to get into a rhythm....  Everyone knows a run is coming on first down & always between the tackles. Infuriating to watch.

13 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yes, those 10+ yard passes that Allen missed wildly except for two ALL GAME was because Daboll wasn’t aggressive.

Allen elevates his game in the clutch and runs the offense correctly at that time. The rest of the game, not so much.

If you're old enough to remember,Marv recognized the same thing with Kelly and company.

He acted on it!

QB's miss passes all game, every game.....  Brady yesterday was accurate for the first time in weeks due to the Defense giving him too much time & respect.  

However when you throw only 25 times (9 in the last drive) the misses look worse.  

Add to that little to no time to throw because often in bad position & throwing dons it looks worse.

So difficult to watch week after week.

1 hour ago, die hard bills fan said:

Yes this has worked against the  Miami's and Cincinnati's of the league, but against better teams it has not.  In their losses the Bills have averaged 15.8 points a game.  We are 22nd in the league in scoring at 19.9 per game.  If we are happy with mediocrity fine, if not try and change something. Use Duke,  Yeldon or whoever to add something they are lacking now. 

we are missing a WR, could use a TE1, a RB2, a RT and I’m not an Allen hater but It being ok that he’s sub 60% because he’s pushing the ball deep doesn’t jive with the lack of big chunks actually completed

we need more skill and more confidence on offense to hang with the big boys consistently. 

13 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Story of the game is Allen hits Brown on a bomb td.  The D finally gets a stop .  We have a 17-13 lead  and instead of trying to expand it our offense goes out and Daboll runs Singeltary on back to back runs into a heavy run D front  Its been the same story all year  Team does not know how to go for the jugular  Too worried to make a mistake to make a big p;ay

So, in conclusion,that points to Daboll not trusting Allen.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

the cowboys have one of the most vanilla plain defensive schemes in the league 

its why Tribusky looked like a HOF QB against them the week after we played them...

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It would be smarter to play to his ridiculous strengths than make him fit this offense. 

Agreed.

I get a lot of pushback when I talk about how bad this offense is..........I'm told it's not garbage it's just "bottom third".

Here's the harsh reality......this team scores less than the woeful 2013  EJ Manuel/Jeff Thuel/Thad Lewis offense did (21.2 to 20.5).

What's surprising is actually how well Allen HAS adapted...........if he makes those throws they are a top 10-12 scoring offense instead of "bottom third".

The thing is.........with a talent like Allen the ceiling is MUCH higher than that.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

You can bring in a new OC, you can upgrade the WR position, you can upgrade the OL, etc...

but none of that will help with a QB who is not inaccurate, and despite "great wheels/ability to escape the rush in the pocket", still takes too many sacks at what always seems to be key points in a game.

He is a super likeable player, and I hope he succeeds, but he still has so far to go.  

Changing the OC does NOTHING but force your struggling young QB to learn a new system....in addition to improving other areas of his game.

Edited by LabattBlue

I agree. I was literally coming on here to post about how Daboll seems like a great “Coach” but his game calling just isn’t there. He refuses the same plays within minutes of each other. He doesn’t get Josh Allen a young QB in a rhythm to begin the game. He needs to have short quick reads for Allen to start off a game to get him confidence and in the game. Running the game for the first 8 plays or whatever it was is not going to get our young QB involved or confident to lead the team down the field when it matters. McDermott needs to work on his game day as well though. And I am all for McDermott and Beane. I think they are building something special. But McDermott is now being to scared to throw the challenge flag when before he used to throw it at horrible times. The pass interference when he didn’t throw it the other week and then last night not challenging that spot and just letting them continue down the field when we end up not even using our 3 first half timeouts is not a smart choice. But Daboll needs to get better or Josh is going to continue to struggle late in games

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Exactly what I thought......  Oh & how about a big body & target to throw to in these situations.  Again I think of Duke WIlliams TD's (regular & pre-season) & how simple the plays were.

That first down play doomed them.  

And again no screens or short passes out of the gate to get into a rhythm....  Everyone knows a run is coming on first down & always between the tackles. Infuriating to watch.

That article is all completely true but the interesting thing is how it states but brushes off the fact that the miss to Knox is a TD play that wins the game, Allen's a hero and the offense started slow but won the game.  I don't know that Daboll tore the Pats apart but a) it's the Pats and b) again the execution kept points off the board.  I've said it before I don't know that Daboll is next level like Roman or Kyle Shanahan but he's pretty good, especially given this units time together and thrown together OL.