CBS Exiting SEC Package

plenzmd1

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That is one of the best theme songs in football.

Doesn't mean they can't play it anymore, although it does feel synonymous with SEC football.

Why is CBS dropping the SEC?

paying $55M per season now, bid up to $300, still wasn't good enough!

As a fan of an SEC team, Thank God! We’re pretty sick of Gary Danielson, and we’re pretty sick of Verne Lundquist before he left. Everything that comes out of their mouth is Alabama Alabama Alabama, even when Alabama isn’t even playing.

Also they take twice as many commercial breaks as other networks. It kills the game’s momentum every time. The game last’s 4 1/2 hours on CBS. Sorry, but we hate CBS 3:30 games with a passion.

I'm not a fan of the compression used to broadcast CBS on satellite/cable......the afternoon NFL game quality is bad relative to the night games on ESPN/NBC but it seems like the Saturday college games on CBS are even worse. 

What's the point of having ultra HD TV's to watch football to get a signal like that?    Fox is even worse than CBS they barely broadcast in HD to start with and then if it's processed again for local tv it's *****.   

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not a fan of the compression used to broadcast CBS on satellite/cable......the afternoon NFL game quality is bad relative to the night games on ESPN/NBC but it seems like the Saturday college games on CBS are even worse. 

What's the point of having ultra HD TV's to watch football to get a signal like that?    Fox is even worse than CBS they barely broadcast in HD to start with and then if it's processed again for local tv it's *****.   

ESPN compression is the worst, sounds like I’m holding the tin can attached to ESPNs tin can, attached by a string

2 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

As a fan of an SEC team, Thank God! We’re pretty sick of Gary Danielson, and we’re pretty sick of Verne Lundquist before he left. Everything that comes out of their mouth is Alabama Alabama Alabama, even when Alabama isn’t even playing.

Also they take twice as many commercial breaks as other networks. It kills the game’s momentum every time. The game last’s 4 1/2 hours on CBS. Sorry, but we hate CBS 3:30 games with a passion.

LOL. As an SEC fan since 1995, you are exaggerating beyond any rational thoughts. And dissing Verne L.!? Wow. I guess if you live long enough, you'll see/hear just about everything.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

$300M for SEC package?  Dang.

the superstition is that by corralling all the sports options you will make huge$$$$

this overlooks a lot of things starting with paying multiples of the next best and completely rational bidder 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

ESPN compression is the worst, sounds like I’m holding the tin can attached to ESPNs tin can, attached by a string

Everywhere I go in the US ESPN is crystal clear......basically all the "cable" stations are.

The major "network" stations are what suck.......I assume because of the extra steps involved in re-broadcasting the local tv versions.

It's probable that they have to run ESPN thru extra steps like that in Ontario.    If they are broadcasting canadian tv commercials on ESPN then I'd say that's a definite.

Either way it's kinda' absurd in 2020 that you can get better resolution thru a cell phone feed than thru a dedicated cable line or sat signal.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everywhere I go in the US ESPN is crystal clear......basically all the "cable" stations are.

The major "network" stations are what suck.......I assume because of the extra steps involved in re-broadcasting the local tv versions.

It's probable that they have to run ESPN thru extra steps like that in Ontario.    If they are broadcasting canadian tv commercials on ESPN then I'd say that's a definite.

Either way it's kinda' absurd in 2020 that you can get better resolution thru a cell phone feed than thru a dedicated cable line or sat signal.   

ESPN college telecasts are the problem, far inferior quality to the others, not even a question 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

ESPN college telecasts are the problem, far inferior quality to the others, not even a question 

Agreed.  ESPN's picture quality is trash.  I've watched it on cable, satellite, streaming... it all sucks.  For the amount of money they command, you would think they could afford to stream 1080p but they are still stuck on 720p while CBS and NBC are on 1080i.

CBS easily has the best picture quality and football production quality of the major 4 networks.  NBC is a close second.  FOX and ABC/ESPN are a distant third and fourth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.