Keys to Success against the Pats

Virgil

We win if we play like we did in Heinz Field, but please no consecutive run plays in the red zone.  Ugh!!  Our linebackers will take care of the short stuff, but Brady may get a couple for 30 yards.  Also, be sure to check the air in the ball. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Biggest thing is dont gift them a TD with special teams gaffe, and protect the ball in the second level.  Be aware of guys comimg from behind, and dont needlessly fight for extra yards that arent there.  Two arms on the ball and get down.  They are going to be trying to strip the ball esp from Singletary.  More than ever Cheaters need big game changing plays from ST and defense - dont give those to them

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

No boneheaded penalties or turnovers 

Bengals held with them for 29 minutes, then fumbled a punt return

then INTs and a pick 6 early in the second half 

ball game

That’s been NE all year. They feed of another teams mistake and use the momentum. Even in that Giants game early in the year. 
NE is an average talent team that plays smart football. NE can not line up and beat the top half of the teams in the league if those teams play smart. It’s been trending this way for the last few years. This year the Pats age and lack of depth is really showing. 
I hope our young much more talented roster comes out loose and ready, it shouldn’t really be a ball game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

keep the score close

don't shoot yourself in the foot

don't panic

the Patriots feast on teams that aren't patient

keep pounding the ball at them, they run blitz a lot but they're not big up front, eventually you will break them

if they use the standing up D against an empty backfield, tell Allen to run a quick QB sneak for easy yards

scheme guys open in the passing game, moreso early in the game so that Allen can get in rhytm

against this Patriots team, take the points whenever you can

On D, be prepared to stop the run and trick plays.

be sound on ST

9 hours ago, K-Apps said:

Special teams, can’t give them a blocked punt TD or Bojorquez can’t muff a punt to get them a short field. 

I swear Bojo has some of his worst games against the Pats.  Its almost as if its on purpose.  This year he has 5 punts 1 blocked net avg 26.7 yards.  Last year he had 5 punts net avg 31.6.  Both his worst two games.

10 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Edelman is hurt. Not Patriot kind of hurt but actually hurt. He couldn’t hurt Justin Rogers.

I don’t know man, going from what they said was the best he felt in practice all year to all of a sudden hurt? Could they be trying to sandbag it? Try to get the Bills to game plan else where? Am I being too conspiracy theorist? 

1 hour ago, BigBobby said:

Simple:

1. Don't let gore anywhere near the field to kill drives

2. Go back to playing fast paced and spread out

Agree with much of what's been said here, but definitely with your Point 1.  I'm finished with Frank Gore.  I know that causes great umbrage to the purists.  But he's done, he's toast.  The only time I want to see him out there is as a decoy, and then have him stay in to pick up the blitz, which he does really well.  Stick to your strengths - keep Allen on his feet, Frank.

And watch for heavy - almost EXTREME - efforts on the part of the Pats* to strip the ball from Singletary.  Singletary has a fumble problem, the league is starting to understand it, and there's no other team that would focus on simply getting inside an opponent's head and giving him the mind f**k like the Pats*.  Singletary HAS to hold on to the ball.  I could see this one factor being the entire key to the game.  Singletary succeeds?  Bills walk off the field blowing kisses to the (remaining front-runner) fans and pointing at the scoreboard.  Singletary starts fumbling and doubting himself?  Long flight back to Buffalo.

Keys to the game

- no boneheaded special teams penalties.  Can’t keep starting 10 to 20 yards back from where punt return was.

- Competent run game

- mix in some no-huddle.  Or the muddle-huddle. Don’t rush the play, just keep them from switching defenders.

- no turnovers

- beat Edelman into the ground early on.  He’s hurt, keep him that way.

Most important - knock Brady around.  Keep him off his game.

Edited by davefan66

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That’s been NE all year. They feed of another teams mistake and use the momentum. Even in that Giants game early in the year. 
NE is an average talent team that plays smart football. NE can not line up and beat the top half of the teams in the league if those teams play smart. It’s been trending this way for the last few years. This year the Pats age and lack of depth is really showing. 
I hope our young much more talented roster comes out loose and ready, it shouldn’t really be a ball game.

Im attacked for saying it....

but the Pats for a few years now have played very conservative and don’t mind going 3 and out, then pounce on opponent boneheaded miscues like a hawk on an an inevitable squirrel 

they’ve even let possibly winnable games go and have taken a loss 

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Involve Singletary in the game. Don't put the entire game on Josh Allen's shoulder.    Involve Kroft. He is a huge target

This was my thought as well. 

A heavy dose of Singletary and short completions that chip away at them.

Keep possession and move the sticks. 

The defense is going to do what it does. 

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I would disagree here...especially on defense, they are stacked...probably the best secondary in the league....Collins, Hightower and Van Noy for LBs.....can't think of a better trio in the NFL....