Are the Patriots cheating on Special Teams?

Jerry Jabber

I was listening to the morning show on WGR550 this morning, and Sal C. mentioned that the Patriots have six blocked punts this year (start at 12:50 on the link below). Jeremy started a conspiracy theory that they might be getting coached through the play as it's going on through one of the player helmets. I know one Special Teams player is allowed to have his helmet mic'd up, similar to offense and defense. Now that theory that Jeremy discussed wouldn't be surprising as it's been mentioned in the book "Spygate," about how Doug Flutie accidentally picked up Tom Brady's helmet and heard an alternate frequency, but later, Flutie recanted that statement. Does anyone know the record for most blocked punts in a season? Also, what else could Belichek and the Patriots do to gain an illegal advantage on Special Teams?

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-20-sal-capaccio-with-howard-and-jeremy

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hadn’t heard that about Flukie picking up bradys helmet before.  I don’t doubt that he’s keeping patriot secrets.  Never liked flukie 

That was probably the most revealing part of the book Spygate - and defensive players saying they were given a list of opposing team's audibles just prior to game time.  

Someday there will be a Lance Armstrong moment that brings this whole thing down....  but I hope we beat them repeatedly before that point comes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

That was probably the most revealing part of the book Spygate - and defensive players saying they were given a list of opposing team's audibles just prior to game time.  

Someday there will be a Lance Armstrong moment that brings this whole thing down....  but I hope we beat them repeatedly before that point comes.

dinna take much to make you happy :D

how do you coach them so the other team misses their block? its not like 10 seconds long like 2 or  3 seconds..  i dont see how it would help... I mean Buffalo the guy just didnt block him...thats just a mistake that was exploited.. one was a hand going around the end.. 

• Like (+1) 2

Recall the story think it was back in the early 70's the Raiders and Steeler's were playing for the AFC championship.  Two days before the game on Friday the Raiders finish practice and head to the locker room, last full practice prior to the game.  Madden calls them all back out to practice (NFLPA today would fine them heavily for this) and has the team start practicing completely different modifications to the game plan.  

The theory was Al had his spies at the Steelers practice and they just reported back to him so now that Al knew what their plan was, started practicing to counter act that.  And oh bye the way, the Raiders won the game that year. 

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

I’ve thought of the Armstrong comparison too but the difference is the NFL would hide any and all information about the cheating from the public. They’d never let it see the light of day, otherwise the legitimacy of two decades of their sport would be come into question.

• Like (+1) 1

They have been shown to be cheaters on more than one occasion in the past, and yet again,  shown to be cheating presently, one can no longer afford them the benefit of doubt on any suspected behavior, they long ago lost that consideration. There will always be an asterisk, marking that team. 

• Like (+1) 4

On one of their blocked punts a few weeks ago (can't remember which team) they showed the replay from behind the punter. The guy who blocked the punt for the pats was hiding behind one of the linemen and when the ball was snapped he ran right up the middle totally unblocked. It was actually pretty genius. Even on the replay you couldn't see the Pats player until he was coming directly at the punter. I think their special teams play is simply desperation to help them win games 

Could they snap it 2 yards further back than normal?

They sort of already do.  Way back when, punters were typically 14 yds back.  Now they're mostly typically 15.  I'd also imagine there aren't too many, if any,  3-step punters anymore.