Bill Belichick hates mirrors

Simon

BB

"They're so much of a game-plan team offensively," he said. "It's hard to put a pin in it. One week they could be one way, or for a couple weeks they could be a particular way, and then last week against Pittsburgh they kind of went away from what the offensive philosophy had been the previous few weeks, which they'd been successful with. So I think this is very much a game-plan team." .....

If that type of philosophy sounds familiar, that's because it's exactly what the Patriots themselves do. One week, they might come out and throw 50 times and the next week they might run 50 times. They attack whatever the opponent that week's particular weakness is, shapeshifting from one type of team to another depending on the week. The same is true on the other side of the ball.

"Defensively, they have quite a bit of volume, so they just kind of spin the wheel on you and give you different looks throughout the course of a game," Belichick said. "So, its a hard group to prepare for."

Sounds like somebody is upset they had to go buy the big SD cards for their cameras.

Edited by Dat
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10

"They attack whatever the opponent that week's particular weakness is ..."

And this is how Belicheck earned his genius status.  Great job by McDermott and yes ... Daboll.

So many people, including me, wanted so badly for the Bills to have an identity.  Screw that.  What they're doing is smarter and far more effective.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

One thing BB mentioned in the imbedded video.... Our offense is gameplan oriented; we changed the offense for the Pit game, etc. 

We have noticed that here, and it’s been mentioned by players to an extent. I’m curious how that evolves over the next year or so. 

So basically a chapter out of the Patriots game plan.

never play the same game plan twice 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And this is how Belicheck earned his genius status.  Great job by McDermott and yes ... Daboll.

So many people, including me, wanted so badly for the Bills to have an identity.  Screw that.  What they're doing is smarter and far more effective.

that too 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exactly! How many times in prior years have we watched Brady light up the league and then play us and they run all over us? BB recognized that a weakness we have had more years than not, has been against the run! Remember Dareus was supposed to be the big addition to finally stop that?! They can on any given week change their identity to fit their opponent. You can see this team slowly doing the same thing. This is kind of a candid interview for BB, not the usual vagueness and patronizing answers!!

• Like (+1) 1

When Daboll was instilling the offense that was the goal he said he had. I know the players say the offense is complicated, but that along with the constantly changing game plans, probably hinders our efficiency some as it is the first year in the system for most of the O. I hope we get another year of continuity to go along with another year of growth (hopefully) for Josh to see what this can become

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Of course in another thread they are discussing players like Beasley, who seem concerned that the offense is too complicated and changes too much from week to week. He compared it to the one he had in Dallas which was much simpler. The Dallas offens is leading the league is yards per game right now, so I'm not sure which is better.

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So maybe their identity is "attack their weakness".   This is a great approach for the offense.

On defense I think it is opposite - play one style really well and tweak the edges of the game plan.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So maybe their identity is "attack their weakness".   This is a great approach for the offense.

On defense I think it is opposite - play one style really well and tweak the edges of the game plan.

To add on the defensive side of the ball, they are really good at disguising pre snap. That is why Brady has struggled against McDermott defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, vincec said:

Of course in another thread they are discussing players like Beasley, who seem concerned that the offense is too complicated and changes too much from week to week. He compared it to the one he had in Dallas which was much simpler. The Dallas offens is leading the league is yards per game right now, so I'm not sure which is better.

Dallas is hoping to reach 8 wins.  We already have 10.  And we kicked their asses.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Dallas is hoping to reach 8 wins.  We already have 10.  And we kicked their asses.

True. But I thought we were talking about offensive strategy. Since you are talking about the overall teams however, consider how Leslie Frasier is always talking about not giving the defense more each week that they can process to make sure that the players can "play fast." How "fast" can you play when you are not only learning new plays and formations but even new play calling terminology on a week to week basis?

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

Since you are talking about the overall teams however, consider how Leslie Frasier is always talking about not giving the defense more each week that they can process to make sure that the players can "play fast." How "fast" can you play when you are not only learning new plays and formations but even new play calling terminology on a week to week basis?

You can get away with that more on offense than you can on defense, where you have to do a lot more instantaneous mental processing when you're reacting to what you see instead of executing what you've designed.

That's one of the reasons you put the dumb guys on offense and the smart guys on defense :D

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, vincec said:

True. But I thought we were talking about offensive strategy. Since you are talking about the overall teams however, consider how Leslie Frasier is always talking about not giving the defense more each week that they can process to make sure that the players can "play fast." How "fast" can you play when you are not only learning new plays and formations but even new play calling terminology on a week to week basis?

I'm honestly not sure if it's entirely new plays, etc., more than it's just exploiting opposing defense's weaknesses by calling certain types of plays.

I've been a huge Daboll critic since he got here.  But as this season goes on, it's much clearer that a lack of execution - and not the play calls/game plans - are the main reason for the lack of offensive productivity.

Don't get me wrong ... he still calls some pretty bone-headed plays; but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that many.

If WRs and TEs would catch balls that him them on the hands/in the chest - linemen can stop stupid penalties - and Josh can be a tad more consistent, the plays called would have generated more points, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Winning can be an identity?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2