A Different Feeling This Year

JGMcD2

So for me this feels different. Obviously we are a better team than we have been in the rest of my fandom (since 02) so that is reflected in that feeling. But the reason this feels so much different to 2017 when we made the playoffs and the 2014 team (which I think was better in many ways than the 2017 team but missed out at 9-7) is because it feels like something built to a very clear plan with the possibility to last and turn into sustained competitiveness. Next year's schedule is harder. I think it is likely we win fewer games than the 11 or 12 we will likely end up with this year. But if the Bills are above .500 and in the mix again next year when we play on that tougher slate with lots of west coast games and with tough opposition then we will really be onto something. It will take fewer wins to win the division next year and that should be our target.

Oh and Magox is being sarcastic.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Yeah, but McDermott is too conservative and Beane actually set us back because he is the one who actually created the salary cap mess.

We could have still had Sammy Watkins and Marcel.  Just imagine how good we would have been if we still had those guys.  Just imagine how good we would be if McDermott wasn’t so conservative always playing Jauronball.

We got lucky!

The hell are you talking about?

10 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

Great post! I’ve lived in Boston my whole life and vibe here is definitely shifting. This fanbase is brittle. They’re not built like Buffalonians. I can’t wait for their first .500 season. This fanbase will literally collapse and people will be jumping ship by the thousands. Mark my words. 

This is so true! 

My roommate through all of college is a Bills fan as well (which was helpful during 3 painful years of the Pats making it to two Super Bowls). 

We said it every year “wait until they start losing, nobody will show up and nobody will care.” 

Heck, half the Patriots “fans” I know barely pay attention now. They’re not invested, they just like talking a big game when it’s easy to do so. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So for me this feels different. Obviously we are a better team than we have been in the rest of my fandom (since 02) so that is reflected in that feeling. But the reason this feels so much different to 2017 when we made the playoffs and the 2014 team (which I think was better in many ways than the 2017 team but missed out at 9-7) is because it feels like something built to a very clear plan with the possibility to last and turn into sustained competitiveness. Next year's schedule is harder. I think it is likely we win fewer games than the 11 or 12 we will likely end up with this year. But if the Bills are above .500 and in the mix again next year when we play on that tougher slate with lots of west coast games and with tough opposition then we will really be onto something. It will take fewer wins to win the division next year and that should be our target.

He he he.  The Magox post was great.   

It's true about New England fans.  I loved the comment that they're "brittle."   Once the Pats really fall, they'll be philosophical, disinterested.  It's the way people are here.  

And yes, it IS different.   I have to admit that I'm at a loss.  I don't know how to feel.   We've spent 20 years talking about what's wrong, what needs to be fixed, sharing disappointment.  Now I feel like there's nothing much to talk about.   The only question is how are they going to do on the field this week?   I mean, sure, we can talk about receivers and oline etc., but it's all academic.  

It's the difference between having a '93 Civic and a '18 Camry in your driveway.   You wake up each morning wondering if one is going to start and whether it will get you through the winter.  The other one, you wake up and know it's going to be just fine for the day and the season - sure, you might like something better, but life's pretty good just the way it is.  Hanging out with friends, there's lots to say about your Civic but nothing to say about the Camry.  

Lexus or beyond next season. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is my feeling. It is not about having a good year, it is about turning the corner and becoming a perennial contender for the division and conference titles. It feels like they are headed in that direction. There are no certanties, but, it feels that way.

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is so true! 

My roommate through all of college is a Bills fan as well (which was helpful during 3 painful years of the Pats making it to two Super Bowls). 

We said it every year “wait until they start losing, nobody will show up and nobody will care.” 

Heck, half the Patriots “fans” I know barely pay attention now. They’re not invested, they just like talking a big game when it’s easy to do so. 

Ha we were in college here around the same time. Would have been nice have allies like yourself when I was at umass Lowell

29 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

This makes no sense on many levels.  Daboll might be too conservative and Beane got the Bills OUT of salary Cap hell......whatever yer drinking this morning pass me a glass of it....I need some alternative reality too.

Oh C'mon!

It makes too much sense.  McD was a DB coach....Jauron was a DB coach....   McD punted the ball that one time, remember?......  So did Jauron.    

McD is Jauron....Jauron is McD...

And Beane is the one who traded Sammy, we could have had the greatest decoy of all time!  And he traded Dareus and Dareus was a stable player!  But noooooo!    Beane had to trade them, screwed up the salary cap and now we are in this mess!!!

pffffff

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Yeah, but McDermott is too conservative and Beane actually set us back because he is the one who actually created the salary cap mess.

We could have still had Sammy Watkins and Marcel.  Just imagine how good we would have been if we still had those guys.  Just imagine how good we would be if McDermott wasn’t so conservative always playing Jauronball.

We got lucky!

I'm trying to decide if this is sarcasm or not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This feels like he 86-89 era where you knew greatness was ahead. I said this in another thread on here yesterday. We are on the cusp. 

As for tomorrow- if we can't beat them as we are surging and they are hitting a low point, then when can we? Barring a breakdown, injuries or blocked punts for TDs or other defensive TDs by them, I expect a win. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

We got lucky!

I can literally see the sarcasm ?

On 12/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Magox said:

Oh C'mon!

It makes too much sense.  McD was a DB coach....Jauron was a DB coach....   McD punted the ball that one time, remember?......  So did Jauron.    

McD is Jauron....Jauron is McD...

And Beane is the one who traded Sammy, we could have had the greatest decoy of all time!  And he traded Dareus and Dareus was a stable player!  But noooooo!    Beane had to trade them, screwed up the salary cap and now we are in this mess!!!

pffffff

Wow......OK dude - you spent about an hour more into all that than I woulda - whatever floats your boat.....I would go waaaaaay out on a limb that Sammy just wasn't buying in tho.  So how precisely did Beane screw up the salary cap???  They have LOADS of $$$.....not understanding that one at all.  They don't have all the chess pieces they need yet but are on the way...imo

27 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Wow......OK dude - you spent about an hour more into all that than I woulda - whatever floats your boat.....I would go waaaaaay out on a limb that Sammy just wasn't buying in tho.  So how precisely did Beane screw up the salary cap???  They have LOADS of $$$.....not understanding that one at all.  They don't have all the chess pieces they need yet but are on the way...imo

:death:

33 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Magox was being sarcastic, dude.