Bills better be scouting “hands catchers” at WR

whorlnut

4 minutes ago, Gambit said:

While I love how impressive he can be, I'm very worried about his injury history. With that said I'm down for either him or Higgins.

Give me Higgins all day long. He reminds me of AJ Green and he’s played in some big time games. 

• Like (+1) 2

The fact that they can wear those tacky gloves you would think these guys would barely drop a pass. I remember about 12 years ago when I was playing in a flag football league, they didn't allow the use of those gloves and we had a team total of about 29 drops. The next year they let everyone use the gloves and we only had 6 drops. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

With the way Josh Allen throws the football, I really hope the Bills are scouring the heck out of WRs that have strong hands and can pluck the ball out of the air. IMO, that’s the only way to go with a flamethrower QB. Anything other than that is just a wasted pick. 

So...what do you guys think?  Any suggestions and why?

CeeDee Lamb will be gone before our pick, and I abhor the idea of trading up for a WR in this draft, but he’s a guy I would love. Dustin Hopkinsesque with his hands.

28 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The fact that they can wear those tacky gloves you would think these guys would barely drop a pass. I remember about 12 years ago when I was playing in a flag football league, they didn't allow the use of those gloves and we had a team total of about 29 drops. The next year they let everyone use the gloves and we only had 6 drops. 

Lots of guys tend to let the ball come into their body, rather than just use their hands. Also, in fairness, sometimes, that's where the football is going - not every throw is a back shoulder one. ;)

I think it's also fair to say that there are a lot of guys with superior athleticism, who aren't necessarily the greatest catchers of footballs, yet can get separation etc. (I know, I know, a lot of them are CBs too). Having good hands, is sort of a natural thing, but it's natural because you've got both good hand/eye coordination, and you have likely been messing around playing all types of ball sports, from an early age.

A guy I’d love to see the Bills get is Lawrence Cager out of UGA. Kid is big and fast and catches contested balls. Transferred out of Miami and got hurt this year in Athens. When Cager was on the field Fromm and the offense looked entirely different. He isn’t a first rounder. He is 6’5 220. Depending on combine he might be a 3rd or 4th rounder. 

Well ya, certainly not scouting mouth breathers...

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Watkins, Hopkins, someone like that who has great hands and catches the ball out in front of them, I agree. I havent paid enough attention to college ball this year to know who that is, but hoping there is someone like that near our draft slot. 

Watkins and Hopkins!?!?  Not exactly on the same level

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

With the way Josh Allen throws the football, I really hope the Bills are scouring the heck out of WRs that have strong hands and can pluck the ball out of the air. IMO, that’s the only way to go with a flamethrower QB. Anything other than that is just a wasted pick. 

So...what do you guys think?  Any suggestions and why?

The sad thing is that Zay Jones was a “hands catcher.”  He caught everything in college.  He just wasn’t the same WR in the NFL.  Terrible draft pick 

For me it's simple;  John Brown's hand size is 8.5".  I couldn't find Beasley's but I would think also extremely small. 

They're going to drop balls with small hands and a QB throwing elite fastballs.  

Just time to draft one with all the physical tools high.  Then these two will be excellent compliments. 

I can't sing, dance, or tell a joke.  In fact, I can barely tie my own shoes.  I suspect there are very few people the world over with fewer talents than what I possess.  But there is one thing I used to do - many years ago - uncommonly well and that was catch a football.  One handed?  Diving?  Contested?  One-handed, diving and contested at the same time?  The bigger the challenge, the more I loved it.  I would catch anything and everything.  

But the pathetic pinnacle of my sad football career was leading a flag football league in receptions, picks and TDs (yes, we kept stats).   My hands were good enough for the NFL.  But my legs weren't, nor my brain, nor any other part of my body.  I lacked the discipline and athleticism to be a good professional prospect.  What use is a WR who can't create separation?

I remember when people hailed EJ's big hands as a requirement to succeed in Buffalo's harsh weather.  That's kind of what I think of the original post in this thread.  It makes sense to think we need receivers who can handle Josh's rockets.   But they need to block, run good routes, and get separation too.  In other words, they need to be good overall WRs - not just guys with good hands.  We can't get hung up - like some did with EJ - on just one trait.  

• Like (+1) 3