If Ngakoue were available, would be be a fit for next year

FLBillsGuy

If he's a true outside DE then yes. He'd be a good upgrade to Shaq who will most likely walk in FA. If I had to overpay for one of them I'd probably go with Ngakoue.

If it were up to me, MY defensive line would be:

DE: Hughes - Draft Pick

1Tech: Harry - Vince Taylor

3Tech: JPhillips - Oliver

DE: Ngakoue

Still need a couple more players to pad the depth, but that would be my plan for starters, assuming we can't bring Shaq back on a reasonable deal.

Edit:

Cutting Star saves us $2M

Cutting Murphy saves us $7M

I'm ok with cutting both and throwing that money at Lawson to keep him in the rotation...

DE: Ngakoue - Lawson

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If he's a true outside DE then yes. He'd be a good upgrade to Shaq who will most likely walk in FA. If I had to overpay for one of them I'd probably go with Ngakoue.

If it were up to me, MY defensive line would be:

DE: Ngakoue

Still need a couple more players to pad the depth, but that would be my plan for starters, assuming we can't bring Shaq back on a reasonable deal.

While he definitely will be available, he's not a strong-side LDE at 6'2" and 246--he plays Jerry's position.   I doubt very much they'd commit $$s to a guy who would be splitting time with Hughes.    

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

While he definitely will be available, he's not a strong-side LDE at 6'2" and 246--he plays Jerry's position.   I doubt very much they'd commit $$s to a guy who would be splitting time with Hughes.    

Thanks for the input.

My only counterpoint would be that next year is likely Hughes' last year with the Bills. So signing Ngakoue long-term would have his replacement lined up before his departure. Let them figure it out for a single season, then move on.

• Like (+1) 2

Jordan Jenkins, LB, NYJ
Bud Dupree, LB, Pittsburgh 

Logan Ryan, CB, Tennessee

Chris Harris, CB, Denver

Anthony Zettel, DE, Cincinnati (vet minimum)

Shilique Calhoun, DE, New England (vet minimum)

Kenyan Drake, RB,  Arizona

Carlos Hyde, RB, Houston

Lamar Miller, RB, Houston

Jay Ajayi, RB, Philly

Jermaine Kearse, WR, Detroit

Devin Funchess, WR, Indy

Josh Doctson, WR, Minnesota (vet minimum)

Breshad Permian, WR, Tampa Bay

I like Ngakoue, but I worry about giving the money he will likely command to someone who's listed at 246lbs. He's likely only going to be a situational pass rusher for us. I don't know if a guy that light holds up against the run. Does anyone know how he stacks up in run defense already? I only see him getting after the QB, which he is quite impressive at. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

I like Ngakoue, but I worry about giving the money he will likely command to someone who's listed at 246lbs. He's likely only going to be a situational pass rusher for us. I don't know if a guy that light holds up against the run. Does anyone know how he stacks up in run defense already? I only see him getting after the QB, which he is quite impressive at. 

Looks ok to me :thumbsup:

https://www.jaguars.com/video/fastest-tackle-of-2019-yannick-ngakoue-meets-rb-in-backfield-upon-handoff

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TPS said:

Asking seriously? Is it that different to play RDE vs LDE? Neber understood that. Same with LG vs RG. I get the footwork is mirrored and maybe your less favorite arm/side is leading when you pull, but id think these guys are good enough to do both ways. What am i overlooking here?

I think we have to get a pass-rushing Edge in FA if possible.  The top 3 in the draft may not fall to us (Young--OSU; Epenese--LSU; and Gross Matos--PSU) are likely all gone before we pick.  Meaning we won't have to "reach" for an Edge, or trade up.  If we grab one in FA and one of these guys is available in the draft, even better.  

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Checked my "old" 8 Ball AND,...Cannot predict now!

Back to concentrating on winning tomorrow.

dude, today is Thursday.  Sorry for the info.  Sucks when you think it's Friday but it's Thursday.  

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah. I'd take him pretty quick. I'm fine keeping Shaq, J. Phillips, and signing Ngakoue. Stack Strength on strength and spend the money that we have.

If we do that we won't have money for the guys we need to extend next year and the year after. They need to be smart now, so they don't get into trouble later. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If we do that we won't have money for the guys we need to extend next year and the year after. They need to be smart now, so they don't get into trouble later. 

I'm not a capologist, so I can't really say either way, but It seems like we have plenty of money to go around. I trust Beane to figure that out for sure though. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not a capologist, so I can't really say either way, but It seems like we have plenty of money to go around. I trust Beane to figure that out for sure though. 

No worries. Its so hard to figure out. But its a thing I am going to say over and over until the off-season.  I think we need to be ready to not resign alot of fan favorites/not be aggressive in free agency because Beane is saving money for the future.  Think about it, they will need to extend Poyer, Milano, Dawkins, and Tre, and then after that Allen, Edmunds, and Hyde. Conversely, if the Bills DO sign Phillips,  Shaq, or a FA, what is really happening is Beane is saying they can do without one of those guys I just listed.