Wall Street Journal Weighs In...

Lurker

Didn't see this posted yet, but mods please feel free to delete if already posted: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-the-bills-shock-the-patriots-should-a-national-holiday-be-declared-11576761327?mod=hp_lead_pos12

By Jason Gay

Dec. 19, 2019

If the Bills Shock the Patriots, Should a National Holiday Be Declared

" I know the country is roiling right now, ablaze with a president’s impeachment, a clamor of partisan finger-pointing, a lot of Beltway yappers barking in circles on cable news, and, as always, angry tweets. So many angry tweets. Also, there’s a very alarming new “Cats” movie, apparently, with singing, mewling cats.

Still, I need everyone to focus on something much more important:

The Buffalo Bills have a chance to shock the world.  They can topple the mighty, mightily-respected, mightily-despised New England Patriots.

I know. I told you. It’s a big deal. Knocking off the fancy Death Star Patriots? It’d be more seismic than impeachment. Clocks would stop. Mountains would move. Parents, children and dogs of all sizes would rush to the streets and dance. A national week of celebratory Bills Mafia table smashing would commence.

But this could be the moment the Patriots are vulnerable—and not just vulnerable in the playoffs. They’re also potentially vulnerable in their own division, the AFC East, which has been a light appetizer they’ve snacked on for this entire century.

Enter the Bills. Buffalo isn’t a perfect club—they’ve beaten a lot of middling teams on their way to their first 10-win season since Bill Clinton was in office—but they’re feisty, and they’re just one game in the standings behind the Grumpy Lobster Boat Captain, Bill Belichick. They have an excellent defense (third-ranked in NFL total defense) a sturdy secondary (led by Pro Bowler Tre’Davious White) and there’s stability at quarterback, in second-year passer Josh Allen from Wyoming.

Head coach Sean McDermott has taken Buffalo to the playoffs twice in his first three seasons, and he appears to know what he’s doing, which immediately vaults him over basically all of the Bills coaches since Marv Levy left the sideline. McDermott’s turned the Bills into nasty visitors: Buffalo is 6-1 on the road this season after their Sunday night victory over Pittsburgh.

Because of this, they actually have an outside crack at the AFC East. Let’s be clear: the Bills will need to win and get some help to do it. For the Patriots to fork over the division, they would need to lose to Buffalo Saturday and also drop their regular-season finale with fetid Miami.

That’s a big ask. Probably not going to happen.

But the fact that it’s the third week of December and we’re even talking about this is, well, staggering.

This all could change over the next couple of weeks. A win by the Bills (5-34 against the Patriots since 2000) would be a mood-changing event. Even if the Patriots cling onto the division, a rival will have made them work for it. New England’s anxiety will intensify. I haven’t even gotten into the latest “scandal.” The league wants to know why a Pats staffer was videotaping the sideline of a Bengals game a week before New England’s game with Cincinnati. This is suspicious because A) it was the Patriots and B) who on earth wants to watch tape from a Bengals game?

For Buffalo, it would be a stunning revival for a club primarily known for a run of early ‘90s Super Bowl losses and—more recently—viral internet videos of their tailgating fans jumping off structures and smashing into cheap plastic tables.

The Buffalo Bills…AFC East champions?

Unimaginable. The skies would thunder. Birds would sing. So would those strange movie cats.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think that the WSJ considers this article to be funny. I can't imagine why - to me and almost everyone I know, the prospect of the Bills "Blowing up the Death Star" is vastly more compelling than anything emanating from the Swamp in Washington. This article is more accurate than funny, lol.  

• Like (+1) 2

I frequently read Jason Gay's columns in the WSJ. He's not bad as a humor writer although he's not as funny as the WSJ's op-ed columnists. But he usually has some salient observations tucked in between his stabs at humor:

"Buffalo isn’t a perfect club—they’ve beaten a lot of middling teams on their way to their first 10-win season since Bill Clinton was in office—but they’re feisty, and they’re just one game in the standings behind the Grumpy Lobster Boat Captain, Bill Belichick. They have an excellent defense (third-ranked in NFL total defense) a sturdy secondary (led by Pro Bowler Tre’Davious White) and there’s stability at quarterback, in second-year passer Josh Allen from Wyoming."

• Like (+1) 3

even w/o winning the AFC East, finishing the season with 2 wins, (unless we rest starters week 17 if the seeding is finalized) would provide great momentum for the Playoffs.  

Also, everyone should click on the article itself.  Good pictures in it.  

Edited by RyanC883