Allen slammed on ESPN

On 1/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, Amaru523 said:

I don't understand all this talk of "Allen fans".  I'm a life long die-hard Buffalo Bills fan, that means I'm a fan of every player on the team.  Why cant the fans defending him just be Bills fans that want our QB to succeed? I didn't want Allen, but he actually grew on me and his improvement from year 1 to 2 was pretty significant.  Does he make bad decisions? Obviously, but he can learn from his mistakes, and if he does, he's got the tools to be a very good, maybe great QB for us.  If the FO can get his some more weapons for next year, I guarantee he'll improve even more. He's probably not going anywhere anytime soon, and the Bills are just a couple pieces away from taking over the AFC East, which IMO will happen next year, so nows not the time to start over at QB.

Allen can have all the weapons in the world.  What truly matters is what he does with them.  It's perhaps analogous to a cook with oodles of good ingredients; the end item still won't taste right if the cook makes serious errors of judgement or omission.  Allen does some good things but his errors have been incredibly costly, and many of them have been repeats of things he should have learned from.  How many times has he taken us out of field goal range because he refused to throw the ball away?  And no quarterback that fails to protect the ball game after game is going to become a respected winner, just like the cook who can't refine recipes and techniques enough to win cooking contests.  I want Allen to be a top flight quarterback, just like the rest of us, but if he doesn't overcome his bad habits and refine his tendencies, no matter what additional weapons he may have next season, he'll remain erratic and continue to make costly errors.  Perhaps cooking school might help.

1 hour ago, Jaywrizzo said:

Keep reading those useless stats Buddy......losers settle for anything, then wonder why ESPN is slamming him.....like said....U don't understand the game and don't have a clue what you're looking at....but keep cheering about those 20 yd passes you're excited about.....no need for a bomb....those are impossible with this dude.....

Your name is Hapless Bills fan......Man....let me stop wasting my time with U....and your 20yd passes like we hsve Alex Smith.

Well you're a feisty little fella, aren't you?

You also seem infatuated by the deep pass or bomb as you like to call it. Brady and Brees have shown you for years that it's not necessary to be an all time great.

Josh finished 16th in Average Completed Air Yards with a 6.2 Yard Average. 2 QBs finished above 8.0 Yards, 3 QBs were above 7.0 Yards & 6 above 6.5 Yards, the averages after that are so close to Josh's average that over a course of a season 6 inches more per completion doesn't mean anything. Out of the 15 that had more than him 10 didn't make the playoffs. Notable QBs he beat Rodgers, Brady, Brees,  Rivers, Garoppolo, Wentz, Darnold, Goff & Cousins.

As much as it pains me to say, Brady is the most successful QB ever to play the game and besides the years he had Moss has never been much of a deep ball QB. Taking out Brady's first year, when he didn't play and the year he went down with the torn ACL, he has averaged 51.2 plays of 20 yards or more and 9 plays of 40 yards or more, Brees has averaged 55.1 plays of 20+ and 10 plays of 40+. Brady has done it on an average of 554 attempts per year and Brees has averaged 563. Josh on 461 attempts this year had 47 plays of 20+ yards and 7 plays of 40+ yards. Pretty even when you factor in Josh had 100 less attempt than what Brady and Brees averaged for attempts per year.

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Allen can have all the weapons in the world.  What truly matters is what he does with them.  It's perhaps analogous to a cook with oodles of good ingredients; the end item still won't taste right if the cook makes serious errors of judgement or omission.  Allen does some good things but his errors have been incredibly costly, and many of them have been repeats of things he should have learned from.  How many times has he taken us out of field goal range because he refused to throw the ball away?  And no quarterback that fails to protect the ball game after game is going to become a respected winner, just like the cook who can't refine recipes and techniques enough to win cooking contests.  I want Allen to be a top flight quarterback, just like the rest of us, but if he doesn't overcome his bad habits and refine his tendencies, no matter what additional weapons he may have next season, he'll remain erratic and continue to make costly errors.  Perhaps cooking school might help.

To the bolded.

Did you not watch any games after the first Pats**** game in week 4? From that point on, including the playoffs 3 INTs and 3 Lost Fumbles in 13 games. Not even 1 turnover every 2 games, he's protecting the ball better than he ever has. How about his lineman & OC protect him.

No QB that fails to protect the ball game after game is going to become a respected winner?

Ok, I'll let you tell Brett Favre that. Josh is always getting compared to #4 who threw 336 INTs in his career, more than 1 per game and we haven't even counted his lost fumbles yet which adds another 62 turnovers. In his third year in the league and second starting he had 24 INTs and 6 lost fumbles(30 Turnovers), almost 2 TOs a game, not one every 2+ games like Josh had after the first Pats*** game. Brett only threw 19 TDs and rushed for 2 that year, so it's not like it was high risk, high reward for the Packers or Brett yet.

But his team picked him up and had his back because even with those horrible numbers they made it to the second round of the playoffs that year. The exact opposite of what this team did for their young QB in his first playoff game. Ask some one to do too much and more often then not, they will fail.