Allen slammed on ESPN

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree.  I just worry Allen is always going to be a roller coaster.  Definitely not boring but as early as it is in his career, the SB window is already narrowing. 

Defense has carried this team all year.  I don’t disagree that part of the issue is McDermott’s philosophy but there were plenty of times the offense could have ended this game.  

Don’t worry about that. With this kids arm he’ll be able to play into his late 30s at least. If the Bills front office is able to keep finding guys like Tremaine, TreD and Milano in the draft, as well as Jordan Phillips, Poyer, Hyde, Johnson Types off of the street, they’ll be able to field a solid defense  even when they start paying QB money. 

here is how you deal with your worry. Go look at Eli Manning’s career statistics by year and Super Bowl runs.

it should set you at ease 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can not say about Watson that his best WR struggles against Man.

No.  But the first points you made were similar, if not more daunting, to what Allen faced.

As to Hopkins, once they decided to line him up outside and dare the Bills to cover him, it was a whole new game.     Too bad Josh didn't have that kind of security blanket to fall back on... 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Don’t worry about that. With this kids arm he’ll be able to play into his late 30s at least. If the Bills front office is able to keep finding guys like Tremaine, TreD and Milano in the draft, as well as Jordan Phillips, Poyer, Hyde, Johnson Types off of the street, they’ll be able to field a solid defense  even when they start paying QB money. 

here is how you deal with your worry. Go look at Eli Manning’s career statistics by year and Super Bowl runs.

it should set you at ease 

The Eli SBs were complete flukes. Teams lucky to make the playoffs and just pull games out of their butts.  It was the most insane run of luck ever.

and Allen is going to be due a major contract in a few years that totally changes this team.  For the all the cap room we have, it will go pretty fast.  I just want to us to have a guy that can carry us like Wilson, rather than be along for the ride like Flacco. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect, this is what critics of Allen get bothered by.  He gets so many passes (no pun intended).  We scored a touchdown on our opening drive and didn’t get another one all day.  Our defense shut down a really good qb for 3/4 of the game and just got worn out.  We struggle to win games if Our defense gives up 17+ points.  

again, I love Allen’s heart and saw some improvement.  But he is still the 32nd ranked passer in completion %.  That’s not good enough.  I do agree the talent needs to get better but folks need to act like Allen was carrying this team.  He wasn’t.  A lot of starting qbs would have done well on this team.

good news is he has all the talent in the world.  But he is a great situation with the defense he has.  

We scored 6 points in the second half.  Stop trying to make it look like it was the defense’s fault.  

the defense was the reason why Allen and the offense, after going in terrible droughts for periods of times all season, had the chance to win games late.  The defense was the MVP of this team and it wasn’t close. 

You'll know when Allen is a legitimately good QB when his fans stop defending his poor play when it happens instead of excusing it and blaming everyone around him.  His second half play was awful. It was comically bad. If that is what his good play looks like, then that's a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree.  I just worry Allen is always going to be a roller coaster.  Definitely not boring but as early as it is in his career, the SB window is already narrowing. 

Defense has carried this team all year.  I don’t disagree that part of the issue is McDermott’s philosophy but there were plenty of times the offense could have ended this game.  

The Super Bowl window is already closing lol. That's absurd and don't say because Josh is on his rookie contract when all you have to do is look at the last 15 years or so of Super Bowl champions. A couple QBs on their rookie deals, but that's it.

The defense did carry us all year and defenses ruled the day this past weekend and they rule the day in the playoffs in general. Up 16-0 with 5 or 6 minutes to go in the 3rd with a defense that finished 2nd in the league in points allowed, the game should've been over. The Bills allowed the second most points out of the eight teams that played Wild Card Weekend. You're giving them a free pass when they're just as much to blame than anyone else.

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

You'll know when Allen is a legitimately good QB when his fans stop defending his poor play when it happens instead of excusing it and blaming everyone around him.  His second half play was awful. It was comically bad. If that is what his good play looks like, then that's a problem.

Maybe. I’m thinking I see folks pinpointing certain plays where other folks needed to make some plays knowing that the young QB isn’t ready (or may never be) to carry the team to a playoff win on his back, like Watson did. 

8 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The Super Bowl window is already closing lol. That's absurd and don't say because Josh is on his rookie contract when all you have to do is look at the last 15 years or so of Super Bowl champions. A couple QBs on their rookie deals, but that's it.

The defense did carry us all year and defenses ruled the day this past weekend and they rule the day in the playoffs in general. Up 16-0 with 5 or 6 minutes to go in the 3rd with a defense that finished 2nd in the league in points allowed, the game should've been over. The Bills allowed the second most points out of the eight teams that played Wild Card Weekend. You're giving them a free pass when they're just as much to blame than anyone else.

it’s true they were 2/3 in the red zone getting TDs and 2/2 on 2 point conversions in regulation.

thats not great. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

46 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The Allen idiots on this forum are just tiring. It would be nice to have a conversation without the stupidity just once... I guess the block function needs to be exercised more frequently...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

"His fans"?  You're not a fan of the Bills quarterback?

Comically bad is extreme, imo.  He made some huge mistakes - so did Drew Brees.  But he also overcame them.  He led us to the tying score & what should have been the winning score.  That's really about all I can ask, especially at this stage of his career.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Success said:

I've gotta take a little exception to the idea that Josh didn't rise to the challenge. He drove the offense down for the game-tying FG, and then for the game winner, which the refs took away w/ a genuinely bad call.

If the D can stop 3rd & 18, or sack a QB with 2 guys coming in at full speed, I'd bet a fair amount that Allen would have driven them again & won that game. It's what he did all season.

I'm gonna take exception to your exception.

If Josh had made better passes on those second half drives where we got no points or better passes/plays on the 4 FG drive and got us a TD on one  of them, we win.

I read on here all the time that Josh may not throw for a high percentage or whatever, but he's a gamer and comes through in crunch time. 

This time instead of playing his best in crunch time he played his worst (FB pass, lateral, passes that should have been picked, sacks, intentional grounding, fumble).  if he had risen to the occasion we would have won. He had his chances.

Certainly not all his fault.  The whole team choked.  But Josh played a pivotal role in the loss.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The Allen idiots on this forum are just tiring. It would be nice to have a conversation without the stupidity just once... I guess the block function needs to be exercised more frequently...

If you’re looking to engage Allen fans in conversation that doesn’t involve any stupidity, might I suggest that remarking on said fans’ intelligence is actually a sure fire way of injecting stupidity that you say you don’t want in your conversation in the first place? :thumbsup: 

If we can leave personal shots at the door, I’m sure there’s plenty of substance we can actually debate like reasonable folk. Fair enough?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If you’re looking to engage Allen fans in conversation that doesn’t involve any stupidity, might I suggest that remarking on said fans’ intelligence is actually a sure fire way of injecting stupidity that you say you don’t want in your conversation in the first place? :thumbsup: 

If we can leave personal shots at the door, I’m sure there’s plenty of substance we can actually debate like reasonable folk. Fair enough?

Nope not interested in engaging the people in this forum who already made up theirs minds, there is no having a decent discussion, it has been proven for almost two seasons now. The adjectives are correct in this instance, call them what you may. There are certain individuals here that have no intention to have an open conversation, you can show them statistics, videos, comparisons, and they ignore all of it, so I for one  will no longer even try. 
Anyone who wants to listen to opinions and facts I will have a dialog with, I actually was proven wrong on how Duke dropped his pass earlier today and I fully admit it. But there is no back n forth, no give in take, it is what it is and after this season I am not interested in these certain posters anymore....

1 hour ago, Success said:

"His fans"?  You're not a fan of the Bills quarterback?

Comically bad is extreme, imo.  He made some huge mistakes - so did Drew Brees.  But he also overcame them.  He led us to the tying score & what should have been the winning score.  That's really about all I can ask, especially at this stage of his career.

I was legit laughing hard after the lateral play. Last time I did that was Peterman’s pick six against Houston. 

so yeah I would say comically bad is accurate. 

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

I was legit laughing hard after the lateral play. Last time I did that was Peterman’s pick six against Houston. 

I agree on the play.  It was a comically bad PLAY.

That stretches out to an entire half?  A half in which he made a couple of plays that probably 5 current QB's can make?

Nah.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The one I laughed at was the one Josh threw right into JJ  Watt's hands.  JJ already ended one Buffalo Bills QB's career doing that.  Josh is just luckier that JJ didn't catch it for a pick 6.  It was so much like EJ's and given the wrath he got for it, and all the excuses Josh gets, it made me LOL out loud.

Edited by reddogblitz

I don't understand all this talk of "Allen fans".  I'm a life long die-hard Buffalo Bills fan, that means I'm a fan of every player on the team.  Why cant the fans defending him just be Bills fans that want our QB to succeed? I didn't want Allen, but he actually grew on me and his improvement from year 1 to 2 was pretty significant.  Does he make bad decisions? Obviously, but he can learn from his mistakes, and if he does, he's got the tools to be a very good, maybe great QB for us.  If the FO can get his some more weapons for next year, I guarantee he'll improve even more. He's probably not going anywhere anytime soon, and the Bills are just a couple pieces away from taking over the AFC East, which IMO will happen next year, so nows not the time to start over at QB.

Edited by Amaru523
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Were you laughing while he was making the run right before the lateral? (And yes the lateral was dumb).

Were you laughing when he hit the screen pass to Singletary and the slant to Beasley to set them up to tie in regulation?

Were you laughing when he put the ball right in Brown’s and Duke’s hands?

Were you laughing in the first half?

The fundamental difference between folks around here is that there is a group who can actually look objectively and see when aAllen made bad plays and good plays.  And a group that only focuses on bad plays.  Why the latter does that remains a mystery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Were you laughing while he was making the run right before the lateral? (And yes the lateral was dumb).

Were you laughing when he hit the screen pass to Singletary and the slant to Beasley to set them up to tie in regulation?

Were you laughing when he put the ball right in Brown’s and Duke’s hands?

Were you laughing in the first half?

The fundamental difference between folks around here is that there is a group who can actually look objectively and see when aAllen made bad plays and good plays.  And a group that only focuses on bad plays.  Why the latter does that remains a mystery.

I can admit the good plays but the bad plays are “comically bad”

4th and 27 he gets no protection somehow with Houston rushing only 4. But he runs backward 20 yards? He almost put Houston in fg range. 

I wasn’t laughing but I was pretty upset in the first half when (I thought) McDermott was setting up the FG with the gore run and spike. 

turns out that was another Josh blunder as he audibled to a run. 

the lateral could’ve easily been recovered by Houston. Why does josh her credit for the fact that it didn’t?

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I can admit the good plays but the bad plays are “comically bad”

4th and 27 he gets no protection somehow with Houston rushing only 4. But he runs backward 20 yards? He almost put Houston in fg range. 

I wasn’t laughing but I was pretty upset in the first half when (I thought) McDermott was setting up the FG with the gore run and spike. 

turns out that was another Josh blunder as he audibled to a run. 

the lateral could’ve easily been recovered by Houston. Why does josh her credit for the fact that it didn’t?

Who is giving him credit?  It was a dumb decision, but ultimately had no impact at all on the game.

The 4th and 27 he has to try and make a play.  An example of trying to do too much.