Allen slammed on ESPN

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

Allen made more ridiculously terrible plays in one game than most QBs make in a season.  It’s a testament to the ineptitude of the Texans that he almost got away with them.  It’s okay to admit that.  He’s like a point guard who turned the ball over a dozen times in the back court but the other team missed uncontested dunks 11 times and won by a single point.  Yeah, the other team’s point guard had a turnover as well, but that isn’t the story of the game.

Took a bad sack. 

Unbelievably poor decision to lateral.  

Had a fumble. 

Almost got picked twice.  

There’s your 5 bad plays.  

He threw the ball 40+ times for 264 and ran for 92.

So 5/50+ plays or approx 10% of his plays were bad.   In his first playoff game, on the road, with an OL that struggled and wildly mediocre playmakers.

Nobody made a play, outside of Allen and Singletary, that they weren’t expected to make.  Brown didn’t toe-tap, Knox missed his block, the OL struggled all game, Duke doesn’t hold onto two great throws for a back shoulder and/or TD. 

He carried us and also played reckless.   I’ll take that for his first playoff game.  It was way better than Watson’s game last year.  

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sime think he may have been concussed somewhat.  Not sure I buy that.

That's the first I've heard of it. Do you recall hearing what play people are speculating about? 

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

That's the first I've heard of it. Do you recall hearing what play people are speculating about? 

I know the hit by Cunningham, but there was a play earlier?  Have to try and go back through a ton of posts to find it.  The first Watt sack maybe?

37 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

As I've said many times in this forum, McDummy is in way over his head. The going for it on 4th & 27 is just more proof of it. Today, a lot of NFL "talking heads" were saying it was the worst coaching decision they have EVER seen, and I agree with them. The amazing thing was that even with that idiotic decision, the Bills still go the ball back, and tied it up.

McDummy?

Mmkay. The man has two playoff appearances in 3 seasons with a franchise entrenched in a 17 YEAR drought. 

He's done this with subpar talent and average QB play. Hopefully Allen will improve, but he's not above average right now. 

Yeah. He's in WAY over his head. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

McDummy?

Mmkay. The man has two playoff appearances in 3 seasons with a franchise entrenched in a 17 YEAR drought. 

He's done this with subpar talent and average QB play. Hopefully Allen will improve, but he's not above average right now. 

The playoff berth 2 years ago was more of a miracle than the Music City Miracle. Please take off the blinders.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I know the hit by Cunningham, but there was a play earlier?  Have to try and go back through a ton of posts to find it.  The first Watt sack maybe?

Hmm...it would certainly put things in better perspective. Josh was playing fairly well before that but I didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary on the Watt hit. If it came before that Josh made a bunch of key plays in between being concussed and the 4th quarter mistakes which is possible.

It felt more like a snowball effect to me. He takes the sack. He doesn't see Mercilus on the fumble. Now he's doubting. He holds the ball too long on the next possession trying to make a big play and it results in three and out. Then the double sacks. Then the crazy lateral. It's what McD said: he was trying to do too much.    

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

I don't think he's showed franchise at all.  They scored a TD on a trick play and he celebrated like a little kid.  Not mature enough to win in the clutch and maybe never will be?

Really?  Tied with Russel Willson for most 4th comebacks in the NFL since entering the league (and with a season of scrubs around him) despite missing or not finishing 6 games while Wilson didn't miss a game in that stretch.  3rd highest rated passer in the NFL in the 4th quarter this year.  2nd most TDs in Bills history.  2nd most TDs in the NFL since week 5 behind only Lamar.  

Its statements like this one that are just hysterically bad and absurd.  I mean the facts 100% dispute what you just said, yet you said it anyway.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The playoff berth 2 years ago was more of a miracle than the Music City Miracle. Please take off the blinders.

Miracle? If others are so much more deserving then they would have won one game more than Buffalo. I love it when some nobody tells everyone how to do a job they could never do. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Hmm...it would certainly put things in better perspective. Josh was playing fairly well before that but I didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary on the Watt hit. If it came before that Josh made a bunch of key plays in between being concussed and the 4th quarter mistakes which is possible.

It felt more like a snowball effect to me. He takes the sack. He doesn't see Mercilus on the fumble. Now he's doubting. He holds the ball too long on the next possession trying to make a big play and it results in three and out. Then the double sacks. Then the crazy lateral. It's what McD said: he was trying to do too much.    

I agree.  But at least he’s trying to make it happen.  Give him another playmaker or two and more experience and hopefully it helps.

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

McDummy?

Don’t bother with that guy. He’s got an agenda and he’s the smartest guy in the room. Just doesn’t like the coach and he’s gonna be on here non stop telling everyone how dumb they are cause he doesn’t like “mcdummy” doesn’t matter what anyone says he has his agenda and he’s sticking to it. 

you can always spot the immature haters and trolls when they use little kid nicknames in reference to players and coaches in a negative way. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I guess I'm a homer - I thought Allen was pretty great for his 1st playoff game, at 23, on the road.

The grounding & sack plays were tough, but not crazy bad - guys came through completely unblocked.  In the years ahead, Allen will anticipate that more; that's very fixable.

The lateral (which didn't affect the outcome one iota) was the only real headscratcher, and completely uncharacteristic of Allen.  There is nothing to compare it to in any of the other games he has played.  I can only think it was a combination of things - no timeouts, frustration that he was unable to make anything happen in the 2nd half, feeling more desperation than the situation warranted.  No excuses, but I go back to him being 23, and being pretty cool-headed for most of the time we have watched him play.  This is a guy who was one of the league leaders in 4th quarter comebacks this year.

And prior to all of that, he played like a champ. The 1st half was something to behold - he had overcome his issue of coming out w/ too much adrenaline, and played great football.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Miracle? If others are so much more deserving then they would have won one game more than Buffalo. I love it when some nobody tells everyone how to do a job they could never do. 

Don’t waste your breath trying to convince him.   Just about every NFL exec knows that McD is anywhere between a decent to top tiered coach.

No one lucks into 9 victories, specially with the talent depleted team they fielded that year.    Simpletons keep saying the Bills lucked into the playoffs that year.

News flash, you have to be good to get yourself into that position to be lucky.   Bills took care of business to get those 9 victories for that Cincinnati play to happen.

This team hadn’t been to the playoffs in nearly two decades and McD inherits a team where they decide to do almost a complete rebuild and shed off much of the talent they had and he still leads us to 2 playoff appearances in his first 3 years and it’s “luck”???  ?

Idiots

Edited by Magox
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree.  But at least he’s trying to make it happen.  Give him another playmaker or two and more experience and hopefully it helps.

I'm a broken record at this point but I'd go further and change the offense. It's insanity that we're making him play read the defense for 60 minutes. He finished 59 plays on Sunday including passes, runs, sacks, and the fumble. Find an OC who can call a running game, re-make the Oline with guys who can move and block downfield, get a second RB, and yes, give him another play maker at WR, and then we'll have something on offense.

Right now we're asking way too much of him given his experience and skill set. Imagine Josh rolling out off play action after faking to someone like Derrick Henry or Fournette.   

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm a broken record at this point but I'd go further and change the offense. It's insanity that we're making him play read the defense for 60 minutes. He finished 59 plays on Sunday including passes, runs, sacks, and the fumble. Find an OC who can call a running game, re-make the Oline with guys who can move and block downfield, get a second RB, and yes, give him another play maker at WR, and then we'll have something on offense.

Right now we're asking way too much of him given his experience and skill set. Imagine Josh rolling out off play action after faking to someone like Derrick Henry or Fournette.   

People are now focused on what additions to make next season.  A big power back would be a tremendous addition.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

Don’t waste your breath trying to convince him.   Just about every NFL exec knows that McD is anywhere between a decent to top tiered coach.

Simpletons keep saying the Bills lucked into the playoffs that year.

Idiots

LMAO. So now I'm a simpleton and idiot because my opinion is different than yours about McDummy? I'll tell you the same thing I told the other homer, take off the blinders and maybe peruse some OTHER outlets, and you will see that they are laughing at McDummy for his unbelievable in-game decisions yesterday (and have been questioning him all year). He even threw Josh A under the bus on Saturday night! His clock management has been horrible ALL YEAR LONG. How about the Peterman experiment?! That was some brilliant assessment of talent and coaching decision there, huh? LOL

And exactly where are you getting this info about what NFL Execs think about McDummy? Please do tell. I think you're just blowing smoke, and shoveling some BS out.

Chris Simms had some kind words on Allen in his post wildcard weekend segment.  Mentions specifically the lack of talent around Josh.  Called Brown and Beasley "good" players not difference makers  Mentions how easy it is to knock a small wr off their route.  Thinks Singeltary would be better served as James White type change of pace back Talked about Daboll running out of ammo once he used up the scripted plays.  Talked a lot about the pre draft narrative and how people have taken it too far.

25 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I was watching ESPN today and a lot of the pundits and talking heads were commenting about how he looked like a deer in headlights against the Texans (horrible defense BTW) and made some truly head scratching decisions like the lateral.

But the sad reality is they aren't wrong. Allen seems like a great kid with plenty of good qualities except the most important one.....between the ears (i.e. high football IQ).

Your posting has 0

Allen looked better than like every QB in the wildcard besides Watson

Bills had the most yards

58 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Don’t bother with that guy. He’s got an agenda and he’s the smartest guy in the room. Just doesn’t like the coach and he’s gonna be on here non stop telling everyone how dumb they are cause he doesn’t like “mcdummy” doesn’t matter what anyone says he has his agenda and he’s sticking to it. 

you can always spot the immature haters and trolls when they use little kid nicknames in reference to players and coaches in a negative way. 

McDermott has taken the Bills to the playoffs twice in three years.  One of them was with the 29th rated QB (Allen) and the other was with the 25th ranked QB (Taylor).  What in the hell is he supposed to do to please people?

Pegula:  Hey coach.  Here’s the keys to a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs in 17 years.  Looks like you’re all set.  You’ve got Tyrod Taylor at Quarterback...and that’s the GOOD news about your roster.  Don’t worry, though.  We’re going to use that pick that we got for passing on Pat Mahomes and Deshawn Watson and use it to trade up for Josh Allen with Lamar Jackson on the board.  Yeah, he was a 0 star prospect out of high school.  Yeah he had lousy numbers in JuCo.  Yeah the only team that wanted him was Wyoming.  Yeah he put up terrible numbers and didn’t win anything there.  No problem.  We’re so confident that this is a good idea that we shipped off Cordy Glenn.  We don’t need linemen.  We’re SO sure this dude will be good that we’re actually going to make him throw to Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin.  This is going to be great.  Good luck with all that.

Bills fans:  OMG, our coach is holding us back!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The kid was trying to win.

Get him help. He clearly feels he has the team on his shoulders.

And honestly, he still kinda does.

We upgraded talent, but John Brown is a really good #2 WR, not the #1 WR Allen needs. For some dumbfounding reason Cole Beasley, his recent safety hatch, was hardly on the field in the playoff game. Our OC called a deep route for our goddamn Fullback. Our best offensive weapon (other than Josh) was taken off the field CONSTANTLY in favor of a Running Back (just think about the nature of that position) who was talking about taking his son to College this offseason and, other than one 14 yard run, gained a total of 8 yards on 7 carries. His raw but immensely talented (sound familiar?) TE has dropped the ball so much this season that he probably can't fully trust him.

And yet, despite all of that, we almost won. Despite all of that, we should have won. But our coaches screwed their young QB over with terrible decisions and then threw him under the bus after the game blaming Allen rather than themselves.

Can't wait til next season already.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LMAO. So now I'm a simpleton and idiot because my opinion is different than yours about McDummy? I'll tell you the same thing I told the other homer, take off the blinders and maybe peruse some OTHER outlets, and you will see that they are laughing at McDummy for his unbelievable in-game decisions yesterday (and have been questioning him all year). He even threw Josh A under the bus on Saturday night! His clock management has been horrible ALL YEAR LONG. How about the Peterman experiment?! That was some brilliant assessment of talent and coaching decision there, huh? LOL

And exactly where are you getting this info about what NFL Execs think about McDummy? Please do tell. I think you're just blowing smoke, and shoveling some BS out.

55 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I was watching ESPN today and a lot of the pundits and talking heads were commenting about how he looked like a deer in headlights against the Texans (horrible defense BTW) and made some truly head scratching decisions like the lateral.

But the sad reality is they aren't wrong. Allen seems like a great kid with plenty of good qualities except the most important one.....between the ears (i.e. high football IQ).

What do you guys even get out of this?  You both have been full time on the board with your respective crusades.  We get it.  Most don't agree with you, but points have been taken.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Thank you (+1) 1