Allen slammed on ESPN

13 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Mcd panicked. He seemed to panic a bit second quarter when he was yelling at allen to spike the ball when there was time. Allen seemed to be making a point of taking his time there. What concerns me is sometimes they both look like they lack composure. One of them needs to be mostly composed for this to work. Question is whether experience will make them be more composed under pressure. 

As I've said many times in this forum, McDummy is in way over his head. The going for it on 4th & 27 is just more proof of it. Today, a lot of NFL "talking heads" were saying it was the worst coaching decision they have EVER seen, and I agree with them. The amazing thing was that even with that idiotic decision, the Bills still go the ball back, and tied it up.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

So......I think everyone can say (including Allen) that he didnt have his best game in the Wildcard.....

The fact is...this team doesnt get to the playoffs WITHOUT Allen

He played really well in my opinion outside of these costly mistakes and strange decisions under pressure. These just seem to happen.

Half time allen was going in having played well. Statistically he was good aswell going into the half, I think he was in or above the 60 percent range. 

Watson threw a pass literally to one of our defenders.  We didn’t even need to make a break on it.  It was just dropped by our DB.  

It’s bizarre how nitpicked Allen is for things every QB does. 

Now, I fully expect him to get criticized for his 3-4 meltdown plays, but his overall performance, for a second year QB in his first playoff game had a lot of positives. 

People want to act like our defense kept us in this game, but it was Allen’s 264 and 92 that did that.  He didn’t have much help from his OL, and the playmakers were exactly as advertised....average.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

As I've said many times in this forum, McDummy is in way over his head. The going for it on 4th & 27 is just more proof of it. Today, a lot of NFL "talking heads" were saying it was the worst coaching decision they have EVER seen, and I agree with them. The amazing thing was that even with that idiotic decision, the Bills still go the ball back, and tied it up.

the thing not getting enough attention is the D standing strong there. Huge stop at the biggest moment. They messed up some stuff down the stretch but that stop deserves more credit then it has gotten here 

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

He played really well in my opinion outside of these costly mistakes and strange decisions under pressure. These just seem to happen.

Half time allen was going in having played well. Statistically he was good aswell going into the half, I think he was in or above the 60 percent range. 

That first sentence is fantastic. 

• Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

I have a very nuanced take on Allen. I don't think he's the 15 year franchise QB type but he is the QB who could win us a Superbowl if coached right in a 1-2 read system under a rookie contract that we use the money on a power running game with some big WRs and good TEs. I think of him as a better passer, but worse runner than Lamar Jackson.

If they continue to run designed running plays for JA, he won't last very long in the NFL. Sure, he's breaking off some big runs, and he's "big & strong", but it ain't college out there, and he's going to get hammered enough times where it will affect his game and/or end his career.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Watson threw a pass literally to one of our defenders.  We didn’t even need to make a break on it.  It was just dropped by our DB.  

It’s bizarre how nitpicked Allen is for thing every QB does. 

Now, I fully expect him to get criticized for his 3-4 meltdown plays, but his overall performance, for a second year QB in his first playoff game had a lot of positives. 

People want to act like our defense kept us in this game, but it was Allen’s 264 and 92 that did that.  He didn’t have much help from his OL, and the playmakers were exactly as advertised....average.  

I agree that his performance outside of these plays was good. It makes it hard to comprehend. I think Allen gets 'nitpicked' because this bipolar play makes him unreliable. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2019 at 7:25 AM, pop gun said:

ESPN stinks, havent watched any show other than live sports on that channel in probably 10+ years.

ESPN's quality in my opinion started to go really downhill when they took on the "Embrace Debate" mantra when they had the original First Take when Skip and Steven A basically created the sensationalize everything form of punditry that so stinks up cable news. Because First Take (Aided by Skips love of Tim Tebow) was such a ratings hit they morphed everything into a policing you take opinion A and I take opinion B type show. Even their existing shows that were established before First Take like PTI and Around the Horn were produced to be more sensationalized. 

I feel like ESPN in the 90's and into the 00's tried to present a more neutral observational approach to showing highlights and reporting sports rumors/news. But at some point they realized controversial yelling got more ratings and they have gone downhill. I don't hate all of ESPN's punditry but they really are a shell of what they used to be. 

Edited by billsfan89

44 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok.  For the several above:  enough.  

The lateral cost us 5-10 yards but outside of that it was mostly just funny for other fan bases. The reason we should still care about it is because it capped off a four drive, ~9 min stretch of Josh coming unglued with the game on the line starting with the Watt sack. The moment got too big for him and the lateral was symbolic of that -- that's why people are making a big deal out of it. 

I disagree with you on the DiMarco pass. Yes it could have been caught had he taken another step before jumping. It was still thrown into double coverage and we had a receiver (Beasley??) open on the crossing pattern. 

I think you could make an argument that this was one of Josh's top 3 games of the year. We asked him to do too much but he was productive and up until the 4th quarter he did a great job extending drives and bouncing back from his mistakes. I'm hopeful for next season. With a little bit of perspective I think many of the naysayers will start to come around. That's coming from a naysayer ;)  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

If they continue to run designed running plays for JA, he won't last very long in the NFL. Sure, he's breaking off some big runs, and he's "big & strong", but it ain't college out there, and he's going to get hammered enough times where it will affect his game and/or end his career.

I still think better than average chance he suffered another concussion during the game, unfortunately 

hopefully wrong there

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the thing not getting enough attention is the D standing strong there. Huge stop at the biggest moment. They messed up some stuff down the stretch but that stop deserves more credit then it has gotten here 

That first sentence is fantastic. 

That's Allen in a nutshell. Good to great, then bizarre moments out of nowhere. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd say the entire team looked like a chicken with its head cut off in the final 5 minutes and overtime. That lateral was beyond idiotic.

The inexperince across the board crushed them. No idea what the ***** McDermott was thinking going for it on 4th and 27. Dumb as it gets. 

The crazy thing is that there are several people on here saying that Kroft scores if the pitch was on the money...as if there weren’t 2 DBs right in front of him and a LB right on his tail.

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The lateral cost us 5-10 yards but outside of that it was mostly just funny for other fan bases. The reason we should still care about it is because it capped off a four drive, ~9 min stretch of Josh coming unglued with the game on the line starting with the Watt sack. The moment got too big for him and the lateral was symbolic of that -- that's why people are making a big deal out of it. 

I disagree with you on the DiMarco pass. Yes it could have been caught had he taken another step before jumping. It was still thrown into double coverage and we had a receiver (Beasley??) open on the crossing pattern. 

I think you could make an argument that this was one of Josh's top 3 games of the year. We asked him to do too much but he was productive and up until the 4th quarter he did a great job extending drives and bouncing back from his mistakes. I'm hopeful for next season. With a little bit of perspective I think many of the naysayers will start to come around. That's coming from a naysayer ;)  

I disagree on Beasley.  They had 8 guys in coverage and had things blanketed pretty much.  And Josh tried to do too much.  But on that pass no.  You give your guys an opportunity to make plays, and DiMarco didn’t.

Sime think he may have been concussed somewhat.  Not sure I buy that.

7 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

We haven’t run him like that all season.  This was a win and go home game with average playmakers.  

Next year I expect to have a legit 1-2 punch at RB, with 1 or 2 new additions to the passing game.  The goal will be to have the threat of the run, but players who can make the plays we relied on Josh to make. 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

The truth hurts sometimes. 

I watched with a bunch of non Bills fans and this pretty perfectly echoed their take following the game.

The sacks, the fumble, the lateral, the deep balls to Dimarco, the missed interceptions. It was a steady stream of how not to play QB in the NFL.

It was a complete meltdown in which he did some really, really scary things on par with 5 INTs in a half of football.

Notice that the crowd saying "he will learn" ignores the fact that he did not learn all season long or in the biggest game of the season with regard to these mistakes. 

He made "you simply can't do that" type mistakes multiple times in a playoff game, just as he did much earlier in his career.

"He'll learn from it" the apologists told us.

? 

16 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Why do you write this? It's pretty much a myth.

The only dangerous thing Allen does is run with the football. He should be running like crazy as an integral part of the game plan every time we play football, no different than what Baltimore is doing with Lamar.

If he gets hurt, so be it.  Anyone can get hurt on any play.  You can't worry about that.

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

ESPN's quality in my opinion started to go really downhill when they took on the "Embrace Debate" mantra when they had the original First Take when Skip and Steven A basically created the sensationalize everything form of punditry that so stinks up cable news. Because First Take (Aided by Skips love of Tim Tebow) was such a ratings hit they morphed everything into a policing you take opinion A and I take opinion B type show. Even their existing shows that were established before First Take like PTI and Around the Horn were produced to be more sensationalized. 

I feel like ESPN in the 90's and into the 00's tried to present a more neutral observational approach to showing highlights and reporting sports rumors/news. But at some point they realized controversial yelling got more ratings and they have gone downhill. I don't hate all of ESPN's punditry but they really are a shell of what they used to be. 

Allen made more ridiculously terrible plays in one game than most QBs make in a season.  It’s a testament to the ineptitude of the Texans that he almost got away with them.  It’s okay to admit that.  He’s like a point guard who turned the ball over a dozen times in the back court but the other team missed uncontested dunks 11 times and won by a single point.  Yeah, the other team’s point guard had a turnover as well, but that isn’t the story of the game.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It was a complete meltdown in which he did some really, really scary things on par with 5 INTs in a half of football.

Notice that the crowd saying "he will learn" ignores the fact that he did not learn all season long or in the biggest game of the season with regard to these mistakes. 

He made "you simply can't do that" type mistakes multiple times in a playoff game, just as he did much earlier in his career.

"He'll learn from it" the apologists told us.

?

While all the QBs we passed on (including the last two MVPs in just their second seasons) are being figured out by the leagues defenses causing historic regression; Josh will just keep getting better.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I agree that his performance outside of these plays was good. It makes it hard to comprehend. I think Allen gets 'nitpicked' because this bipolar play makes him unreliable. 

Exactly.  80% of this place is asking Mrs. Lincoln how the play was other than that whole assassination thing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Start at 6:13. This is some of the most vehement hate for Allen I've seen. Methinks this should find its way to Josh...

Absolutely ridiculous!

Him and his dad are freakin idiots But the bigger idiot is the one who gave them the show