Allen slammed on ESPN

8 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Actually, what happened was you waltzed your way into a discussion between biscuit and I that began when he said that this was a team that still wins with its defense (direct quote), and I pointed out that that's not true.

And for some reason, that upset your delicate temperament. Maybe it's the holiday stress? I don't know. Grab an eggnog or a Rumchata hot chocolate and chill.

There's no need to let the fact that you still don't understand the point ruin your day. All is well. The Bills are in the playoffs (no thanks to that dreadful offense ?) and we should all be happy.

Merry Christmas!

They do win with their defense! And their offense! Just mostly their defense!

On 12/19/2019 at 4:10 AM, Flutie Flakes said:

ESPN's version of "Dumb and Dumber".  Gushing over Jameis Winston.....meh.

I’m ashamed to admit I’ve occasionally watched the show.  Usually Tub-of-Lard’s dad is on, who, on top of his struggles with the English language and his thick Cuban accent, rarely knows what he’s talking about.

Guys, the more success we have the more " hot take " national media click bait attention we will get.

Lebatard is Miami Dolphins homer media...he's a moron. Bomoni jones is usually a decent dude, hes fallen into this mode to save or promote his career Id guess. Sad to see.

Edited by RichRiderBills

17 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Guys, the more success we have the more " hot take " national media click bait attention we will get.

Lebatard is Miami Dolphins homer media...he's a moron. Bomoni jones is usually a decent dude, hes fallen into this mode as a save or promote his career Id guess. Sad to see.

All ESPN is anymore, is hot takes and argument.  To work there, you have to be willing to say stupid *****, just to keep it moving.  Somebody says something controversial, and it becomes the hot topic in the ESPN universe for the next 24-48 hours...it is their business model.  They make their own news, and then analyze it to death.  

• Like (+1) 1

Was going to start a separate thread on this, but then I figured it fit in this one... did anyone happen to hear the Patriots radio broadcast of this past weekends game?  I don't make it a habit to listen to this stuff, but I watched a Bills/Patriots game video recap that used the Patriots radio broadcast calls.  I was kinda shocked, so I went to NFL Game Pass to make sure I wasn't imagining things... Scott Zolak (former QB, Patriots radio color commentator) really hates Josh Allen, and the Bills.  I am normally watching Bills games on tv, so I don't really listen to Murph and Woods radio calls, but I am pretty sure they are nowhere near as over the top...I suppose Zolak is trying to keep the Boston tradition of Johnny Most and Tom Heinson, with the absurd homerism....

Just a few examples of what I am talking about:

At one point, after an Allen run, Zolak refers to the "perfeclty legal hit" that Allen took in the last game the two teams played (when Allen got knocked out) and the "crying" that McDermott did over the hit.

- After Allen connects with Dawson Knox on the goal line (right before the first half ended), Zolak asks rhetorically "How do you let that bum complete that pass"?  He then says emphatically "You just can't let a QB like that make plays like that".

- After the td pass to Dion Dawkins, he insists that it shouldn't count, because he didn't report as a an eligible receiver...obviously Zolak was wrong.  He did, however give credit to "Dabes", who I can only assume was with NE when Zolak was palying for them. He complimented Daboll numerous times.

- After repeatedly insisting Allen couldn't handle the blitz (he even says Allen is "garbage" when blitzed), he writes of Allens' perfect TD pass to John Brown as "lucky", and says Allen "just chucked it up there".

- There were other things, non-Allen related.  He said the Bills were "a bunch of punks" for laughing at Julian Edeleman when he went down, trying to avoid a PI.  Anyone who was watching could see that he was faking, and he admitted it after the game.  He also insisted that the Bills were playing dirty, and that the refs were letting them get away with murder all game with late hits, and "extra-curricular" activity.  Was Zolak watching a different game than me?

Edited by Buftex
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Was going to start a separate thread on this, but then I figured it fit in this one... did anyone happen to hear the Patriots radio broadcast of this past weekends game?  I don't make it a habit to listen to this stuff, but I watched a Bills/Patriots game video recap that used the Patriots radio broadcast calls.  I was kinda shocked, so I went to NFL Game Pass to make sure I wasn't imagining things... Scott Zolak (former QB, Patriots radio color commentator) really hates Josh Allen, and the Bills.  I am normally watching Bills games on tv, so I don't really listen to Murph and Woods radio calls, but I am pretty sure they are nowhere near as over the top...I suppose Zolak is trying to keep the Boston tradition of Johnny Most and Tom Heinson, with the absurd homerism....

At one point, after an Allen run, Zolak refers to the "perfeclty legal hit" that Allen took in the last game the two teams played (when Allen got knocked out) and the "crying" that McDermott did over the hit.

- After Allen connects with Dawson Knox on the goal line (right before the first half ended), Zolak asks rhetorically "How do you let that bum complete that pass"?  He then says emphatically "You just can't let a QB like that make plays like that".

- After the td pass to Dion Dawkins, he insists that it shouldn't count, because he didn't report as a an eligible receiver...obviously Zolak was wrong.  He did, however give credit to "Dabes", who I can only assume was with NE when Zolak was palying for them. He complimented Daboll numerous times.

- After repeatedly insisting Allen couldn't handle the blitz (he even says Allen is "garbage" when blitzed), he writes of Allens' perfect TD pass to John Brown as "lucky", and says Allen "just chucked it up there".

- There were other things, non-Allen related.  He said the Bills were "a bunch of punks" for laughing at Julian Edeleman when he went down, trying to avoid a PI.  Anyone who was watching could see that he was faking, and he admitted it after the game.  He also insisted that the Bills were playing dirty, and that the refs were letting them get away with murder all game with late hits, and "extra-curricular" activity.  Was Zolak watching a different game than me?

Nah, you were just listening to a Pats homer that was watching the end of their era of domination.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

Zolak is a douche... always has been always will be

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Zolak is a douche... always has been always will be

I guess so.  I had never heard his work before...for some reason, I assumed an ex-NFL QB would have a slightly more measured or cerebral tone...he sounded more like Fred Smerlas, without the accent.  I would hate it if our broadcast teams were this un-professional.  Living in Texas, I occasionally here the Texans and/or Cowboys radio broadcasts while I am driving, and while they are homers to be sure, they aren't complete a-holes.

Edited by Buftex

On 12/24/2019 at 7:08 AM, SoTier said:

You know what's really not a fun to watch???   Watching your team lose 9,10 or 11 games season after season for almost 20 years. 

I'm not a big Beane/McDermott fan, and I remain skeptical about the team's commitment to building a team truly good enough to compete seriously for the Super Bowl, but that's an issue for the off season  It doesn't diminish how great it feels as a fan to FINALLY have a Bills team that's not only competitive in every game, but also wins most of the time ... or a team that again has "nothing to play for" in week 17, but finally for the right reason: a clinched playoff berth.

How can you NOT find a December game in Foxborough with playoff seedings on the line for both teams entertaining, especially when the Bills not only played the defending Super Bowl champion Patriots close but also had a real chance to tie the game in the closing seconds???

Add in, tied at the half and had the lead for half the 3rd and the majority of the 4th Q (with a chance to tie at the end).

We aren't a great team yet, or even a good offense yet, but we CAN compete with anyone.

I do still fear that Belicheck/McDaniels vs McDermott/Daboll is a Farm Boy vs Vizzini battle of wits.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

If it was perfectly legal, why was it flagged?  NE argued that it wasn't flagrant and shouldn't have resulted in an ejection or a fine (I disagree, but it's arguable)

But it was, and should have been, flagged.

:rolleyes:

Apparently so.  Any comment on the two missed calls on flagrant face masks on Josh Allen right in front of referees?

Sounds like a DoushkaTeer, fo'shizzle

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If it was perfectly legal, why was it flagged?  NE argued that it wasn't flagrant and shouldn't have resulted in an ejection or a fine (I disagree, but it's arguable)

But it was, and should have been, flagged.

:rolleyes:

Apparently so.  Any comment on the two missed calls on flagrant face masks on Josh Allen right in front of referees?

Sounds like a DoushkaTeer, fo'shizzle

Just ask Zolak about his playing career; that'll end the discussion real quick.

Josh has already accomplished far more in his young career than Zolak did in 55 games as a pro.

But Scotty will always have that magical run in 1998, when he played 6 games for NE and completed 42% of his passes for a 4.9 YPA with 3 TDs and 3 INTs. He's earned the right to talk some smack.

• Haha (+1) 3

The coaching style, play calling and risk taking are not something that is an immovable and intransigent orthodoxy from McD.  As the offense, primarily Allen shows that they can win the complete or near complete trust of McD/Daboll then these things will change.  As SoTier mentioned earlier the belief at this stage of this team is that with their defense if they can jump out to a lead they look to go slightly more conservative.  They believe that if the offense doesn't turn it over they can win once they jump out to the lead.    I also believe that Allen had a couple early season turnovers once the Bills had a lead that changed the momentum of the game that nearly cost them and that has had a somewhat lasting impact on their decision making.

The problem with going more conservative is that with the good teams, more often than not that won't work when you are clinging to a small second half lead.   Allen has shown that he is capable of protecting the ball over the second half of the season and if they plan on winning a game or more in the playoffs then they will have to loosen up the reigns with Allen, even if they have a second half lead.

Edited by Magox

On 12/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, SoTier said:

I think that the philosophy McDermott is using is sound when a team has a young somewhat erratic QB -- get ahead, run the ball, depend on a stout D, and don't let a stupid mistake kill you -- but I don't think that the Bills have a good enough OL and RBs to execute it. 

Actually, McDermott/Daboll are doing some interesting things with offense that aren't the most obvious or sound things to do with a young QB (seemingly)

The prototypical thing to do with a young, developing QB is to run a lot, have him take the checkdown to the RB a lot, and throw a lot of screens.

We don't do those things.  I sometimes feel Singletary should be given a long fiberglass pole with an orange flag on it, like they put on Syracuse firehydrants.

I sometimes think they're crazy.  But then I wonder if Daboll is crazy like a Fox, and that part of his goal for this year is to force Josh to process what he sees downfield, at the expense of easy yards sometimes.

Either that, or Daboll needs to install a subliminal message in Josh's thoughts: "Take the Checkdown!" "Take the Checkdown!"  Take the Checkdown!"

I guess time will tell.  I'm sure Josh worked like a young demon last off season, but I hope he works like 2 young demons THIS offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, McDermott/Daboll are doing some interesting things with offense that aren't the most obvious or sound things to do with a young QB (seemingly)

The prototypical thing to do with a young, developing QB is to run a lot, have him take the checkdown to the RB a lot, and throw a lot of screens.

We don't do those things.  I sometimes feel Singletary should be given a long fiberglass pole with an orange flag on it, like they put on Syracuse firehydrants.

I sometimes think they're crazy.  But then I wonder if Daboll is crazy like a Fox, and that part of his goal for this year is to force Josh to process what he sees downfield, at the expense of easy yards sometimes.

Either that, or Daboll needs to install a subliminal message in Josh's thoughts: "Take the Checkdown!" "Take the Checkdown!"  Take the Checkdown!"

I guess time will tell.  I'm sure Josh worked like a young demon last off season, but I hope he works like 2 young demons THIS offseason.

I was replying to the criticism that some posters make that when the Bills get ahead, they get too conservative.  Maybe it's a tug of war between McDermott and Daboll, one wanting to not take chances once the team has a lead, and the other realizing that that lead can as easily be lost by 1 defensive mistake as by 1 offensive mistake.   Maybe Daboll recognizes that the Bills don't have a good enough trio of RBs to be a run first team like Seattle or Pittsburgh.

I think that the lack of offensive talent -- the starting skilled players are mostly decent or better but the second and third guys are well below average --- really limits what kind of offensive plays the Bills can run successfully.  I would like to see them run more and throw more to the backs out of the backfield, but you literally need a stable of speedy RBs to do that.   Hopefully upgrading the RB unit is a priority for next season.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/26/2019 at 11:43 PM, Buftex said:

Zolak is just a bandwagon hopping fontrunning minister of propaganda that hates the fact that Allen's pinky has more arm talent than his duck chucking ignorant self could ever have had even with all PED's Edelman can smuggle in his prison wallet.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Starts at 11:15. I'm going to guess this board is way to stubborn to apologize to LeBa-GOD!!!!

The truth hurts sometimes. 

I watched with a bunch of non Bills fans and this pretty perfectly echoed their take following the game.

The sacks, the fumble, the lateral, the deep balls to Dimarco, the missed interceptions. It was a steady stream of how not to play QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2