Allen slammed on ESPN

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

They coach him as if he is their third stringer in as an emergency.  

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

If he is so so bad, time to draft another QB.

You do realize that some of the play calls are designed giving his current development and game situations.

The calls Sunday were somewhat conservative and Daboll admitted to that.  When they tied the game up at 10-1 he said they went conservative to even up the score and to put the pressure back on Hodges.  He felt confident about the defense’s ability to pressure him into mistakes and it worked!

Also the 3rd down call that led to the Kroft TD was hardly conservative. 

If they were playing against a more effective offense they wouldn’t do this.  But given the situation it made sense 

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You do realize that some of the play calls are designed giving his current development and game situations.

The calls Sunday were somewhat conservative and Daboll admitted to that.  When they tied the game up at 10-1 he said they went conservative to even up the score and to put the pressure back on Hodges.  He felt confident about the defense’s ability to pressure him into mistakes and it worked!

Also the 3rd down call that led to the Kroft TD was hardly conservative. 

If they were playing against a more effective offense they wouldn’t do this.  But given the situation it made sense 

Always an excuse.....  They've played conservative all year long.  Sunday was a new low.  

This Development excuse is cr$p.....  He is 25 games in & they have yet to give him the keys to the car.  

Allen is their future.  He has shown the ability to win in the 4trh quarter. Time to see what he can do for 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I've never cared what other people think...not going to start now

I think most of us don’t care, but this is outrageous. Nationally broadcast current sports banter and they go off in a hate tangent about things obviously they’ve never been able to do themselves.

It rates throwing monkey crap their way.

#ProveThemWrongJosh!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think most of us don’t care, but this is outrageous. Nationally broadcast current sports banter and they go off in a hate tangent about things obviously they’ve never been able to do themselves.

It rates throwing monkey crap their way.

#ProveThemWrongJosh!

c'mon, the family tree is only a few generations into learning not to fling it....  :(

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

They coach him as if he is their third stringer in as an emergency.  

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

If he is so so bad, time to draft another QB.

Allen gets at least another year, but the play calling and their attempt at hiding our passing game is a concern. Either they don't trust the QB, or they are playing a conservative playing style you don't see from many top NFL teams. 

Overall the ESPN take is too harsh. Allen has talent, and he can make the hard throws look easy, but his lack of consistency is a concern and he really needs to improve his deep ball which is among the worst in the league. 

Hopefully he takes a big step forward next year. I assume he'll have more weapons to work with then and if our passing game isn't at least average by NFL standards we probably have a real problem on our hands. 

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Start at 6:13. This is some of the most vehement hate for Allen I've seen. Methinks this should find its way to Josh...

Absolutely ridiculous!

Bills Mafia has to start complaining about Espn Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago when they had radio announcers on Wip telling listeners to go to there website and scroll all the way down on there web page  to where you see contact us after that they hardly complain about the eagles any more.  So if you hate Espn go to there web page and scroll all the way down to where you see Contact us.

Just now, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Bills Mafia has to start complaining about Espn Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago when they had radio announcers on Wip telling listeners to go to there website and scroll all the way down on there web page  to where you see contact us after that they hardly complain about the eagles any more.  So if you hate Espn go to there web page and scroll all the way down to where you see Contact us.

it's amazing how WFAN has remained mostly civil and enjoyable for 3 decades now, i posit that having Somers as the voice of the station, and his classy patter, has helped?

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Always an excuse.....  They've played conservative all year long.  Sunday was a new low.  

This Development excuse is cr$p.....  He is 25 games in & they have yet to give him the keys to the car.  

Allen is their future.  He has shown the ability to win in the 4trh quarter. Time to see what he can do for 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the coaches care more about wining and making a push into the playoffs.  But yeah, as every knows, coaches love gambling and setting up gameplans that increase their chances of losing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Allen gets at least another year, but the play calling and their attempt at hiding our passing game is a concern. Either they don't trust the QB, or they are playing a conservative playing style you don't see from many top NFL teams. 

Overall the ESPN take is too harsh. Allen has talent, and he can make the hard throws look easy, but his lack of consistency is a concern and he really needs to improve his deep ball which is among the worst in the league. 

Hopefully he takes a big step forward next year. I assume he'll have more weapons to work with then and if our passing game isn't at least average by NFL standards we probably have a real problem on our hands. 

Are you serious the kid got us to the playoffs in his second year with literally no offensive talent.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

you whined for national attention....

YOU GOT IT, SPORT!!

now are y'all happy....

Just now, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Are you serious the kid got us to the playoffs in his second year with literally no offensive talent.

a great apprenticeship for Brady 2.0

Just now, brianb386 said:

I'm not angry at them, just kind of confused as to who they are and why they have a show on a major network. Also, who is tuning in and valuing their "expert" opinions?

i much enjoy all the "cast off" talent that has the best podcasts on their own (usually through Simmons)

i only tune in when stuck in a hotel room with time to burn and i have to preserve all my energy

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

And that is it in a nutshell..  No other NFL team thinks every week that 17 points will win the game.

No other team in 2017, 2018 & 2019 (and the common denominator is the HC) has not passed for 300 yards in at least 1 game/yr.......  47 games & counting (46 under this coach).

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm pretty sure the coaches care more about wining and making a push into the playoffs.  But yeah, as every knows, coaches love gambling and setting up gameplans that increase their chances of losing. 

I forgot the Bills were 46-0 under McD......  Oh yea they pulled the same protect a lead & let the defense win the game vs. Cleveland & lost.  So it does not work all the time.

Edited by Billsfan1972

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wise choice.

It was a bit of an embellishment.  I’m paraphrasing here but he said they left WR’s wide open down the field because they knew he couldn’t hit them.  He said it was the most disrespectful strategy he’s ever seen and that Pittsburgh chose not to do that and that’s why they lost. 

?

The Ravens were playing very physical coverage.  They were undressing Beasley, and had their hands all over Brown all day.   (As one poster colorfully put it here "Beasley and Brown needed rape kits after that game"). They knew just how to cover Brown - he's a former teammate.  They put two guys on Foster and knocked him down.  Our guys struggled against physical coverage.  Someone asked McD about it on Monday after the game and he ack'd.

There's a chicken-and-egg conundrum here.  They had confidence in their coverage largely because they were winning the OL battle - Big Time - forcing Allen to throw under pressure and to 'feel the heat' every down.  They were able to keep winning the OL battle because Allen missed some deep throws so they didn't have to adjust, but that wasn't what ultimately decided the game.   Allen not taking the easy completions when they were there, the drops, sticking to a pass protection scheme that wasn't getting it done, and we were still right there in the final moments.

Pitts tried to do a similar thing and Brown/Allen/Daboll had a "Renegade" plan to beat it which worked.  Give Brown credit, he stepped it up.

The next week against Darnold, the Ravens D wasn't playing nearly so fierce.  They didn't need to be.  Like us against the Duck, they figured they'd limit the rush, give up some yards and some points and Darnold would make mistakes that balanced his throws.  1 fumble lost, 1 INT for Sam.  Mission: accomplished.