anybody else think we should have kept ivory over gore

tcampbell104

My view on the whole "mentor" thing is that this is the job of the coaching staff. Not a fan of using a valuable roster spot on a player who's more of a liability than an asset. How much mentoring does a RB really need?

I have a ton of respect for Gore, his professionalism, and what he's achieved in his career. But he just doesn't bring much of anything to the table. He's had some decent possessions where he'll get you a tough 5-6 yards, but the NFL is full of guys who can do this(better) and bring much more versatility to the table.

Ivory isn't even really part of the equation because he's shot as well. Coulda/woulda/shoulda acquired a different back, but that's history. I would like to think they'll go into next season with two additional backs, preferably a young banger and a young guy capable of housing any given touch. Asking a lot, but that would be ideal.

Gotta roll with what we have for now, so DS needs to continue to produce.

No.  Gore imo had a massive impact on the growth of Singeltary.  Gore cant get outside anymore.  He is good for some tough yards, but imo looks like a shot fighter.  The impact in the lockerroom cant go understated.  With a complete new group on offense he demands respect of every player.

• Like (+1) 1

Geez people! It takes all sorts of players to make up a playoff roster and as of Sunday night the Bills are indeed a playoff team. If anything, I can see people having an issue with how Daboll appears to be using Gore, but I wouldn't put it on Gore alone.  Is he getting older? Yes. Is he the reason that the Bills didn't make the playoffs? No.....because they did!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

i just think if we kept ivory our running game would be more powerful, and with our passing game not really there yet it would make us a stronger team in the playoffs

Ivory straight up sucked for 3 seasons with the Bills before he washed out of the NFL.

/thread

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

People are forgetting how he played in Sept and Oct.  I recall him closing out a couple close wins.  And he did what he was supposed to do on the last drive against the Steelers.  Only reason that game got exciting in the last few seconds was because of the holding call.

This.  Gore has had tough sledding the last few games, yet still averaging 3.6 per game.  He is often running when everybody knows we are going to run, so that hurts his stats.  But he can be counted on and doesn't give the game away.  I love the way they use him.

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Wow!!! That is crazy talk. Gore is our culture personified. Mentors young guys, shows them how to work, plus can help finish games like the Titans game. The guy has been a great addition.

The Titans game? That was ages ago....he is done. They should have known better. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

No.  Gore imo had a massive impact on the growth of Singeltary.  Gore cant get outside anymore.  He is good for some tough yards, but imo looks like a shot fighter.  The impact in the lockerroom cant go understated.  With a complete new group on offense he demands respect of every player.

singelterry looks like the exact same way he looked in college the  mentoring thing is a  little overblown

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No. You could not ask for a better mentor for Singletary, and Gore has really taken Motor under his wing. He seems to be relishing the mentor role. 

Agreed. Not only that - it also worked!  Gore was his generally efficient, non flashy, grind it out self while the Bills racked up wins until Singletary was healthy and ready. Why are people stuck on criticizing a position that worked? 

• Like (+1) 1

This is silly. Gore was fine early in the season and now he’s a backup. Just let it go. He’s not hurting the team and is a great guy for Singletary.

so easy to second guess after the matter. 

the Bills are in the playoffs, can we just be happy about that? 

• Like (+1) 1

Well I did start this Gem before the trade deadline.

I tried to note to TBD that RB was the biggest position of need at the FA deadline.

I was trying to point out that Gore can not be an RB1 if needed (what an RB2 is supposed to do)

Singletary is unproven and injured (happy he came back so quickly from a hammy)

Using Gore so much early meant fumes later because 36 yr old backs run out of juice (Yep)

Buffalo should try to get a RB more than a WR (Yep)

Buffalo does not trust Yeldon any more than I do (Yep)

Buffalo should try to get Drake (Yep), Ballage (Nope), Lindsay (Yep)

Well Gore is on fumes. He had some nice games filling in but it used up his juice. He did break a record and has been a pro.

Buffalo did need a RB because now Gore is averaging 1.2-1.5 ydc (got used up while Singletary was out)

Singletary the good unproven back from a small conference is showing fumbleitis and there is no on else to go to.....

I saw it back in October when Gore was still a stud per the replies below, and it was assumed Singletary would be a stud.

Listen to RocCityRoller, he knows foootballing

6 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

On the field probably....off the field...probably not. 

Gore is a veteran role model and a future HoFer. 

Just having a guy like that on the team, working hard and being a good example for the rest is big for the process.

This.

He's run OK, but not great. As the year has gone on he appears to have lost a half a step but still hits holes hard. Ivory isn't playing, and there's probably a reason for that.

Outside the building, fans tend to underestimate the effect of having a guy like Gore in the locker room. McDermott doesn't. It's why Gore's here at his age. Part of the reason this team is playing so well is that guys are buying in wholeheartedly to the process, to extreme preparation, to improving every day.

But every coach in the league talks about those things. Players only respond fully to a small percentage of those coaches and situations. Gore is a part of this situation, a living example of good habits leading to a tremendous long career. He's far more valuable to McDermott than just being a running back. Again, fans don't care about that stuff because we're not in the locker room. We talk about it for 30 seconds and then start to talk about his running. But that's not how our coaches look at this.