The Bills should re-sign Shaq and J. Phillips

TPS

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The thing with Lawson is that he's going to get paid 10 plus mil a year, so Beane could get into a bidding war just to keep him. Yannick will get paid more, but I think he's well worth the difference. They didn't land Clark, but they were definitely in on both he and Clowney. That action demonstrated that Beane is very "in" on landing a stud DE.

Your are correct on all counts. Beane is going to go after what he thinks will improve the team. But my opinion is he will leave an offer on the table with a note. "do you want to play here and play our way "

This is why i think he makes the decent offer and perhaps counter offers to both guys.
He won't chase either .
Maybe he just can sweet talk them to realize Buffalo is their Home. and there is no place like Home

:)

• Thank you (+1) 1

One good thing about Beane and McDermott, is that I trust their ability to assess a player's character. I'm no longer worried that we willl overpay for a player based on their contract year play, when in reality they aren't motivated and will regress.

I expect they are completely sold on Phillips, will give him 10M per year, and he will continue to be great. I expect they will give Lawson an offer of ~5M per year and be outbid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

I absolutely give Phillips a pay day. Shaq, while I love how hes developed, if he prices his way out, itll be tough, but understandable.

Yep. Someone wants to get crazy and he wants the biggest payday? let him go for it. and that's okay. Good for him !

Means Bills can develop high quality players.

Attractive to young prospects etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Yep. Someone wants to get crazy and he wants the biggest payday? let him go for it. and that's okay. Good for him !

Means Bills can develop high quality players.

Attractive to young prospects etc.

My only hangup, the continuity these guys has formulated. I think being in a system, with the same teammates, same coaches, etc... for a few years absolutely holds water.

To an extent, I think it's why big time FAs sometimes flounder. There is no chemistry, there is a lack of familiarity, a lack of drive, etc...

On 12/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, MJS said:

Phillips, absolutely. Lawson? No. What about his play, from a national perspective, is above average?

My concern with Phillips is not that he is playing average. He's playing out of his mind right now. I am concerned that he will not keep it up on the long term. I also think DT is an area of strength. We have Ed Oliver who SHOULD be getting more playing time and the focus should be on developing him. We also have the other Phillips coming back.

I think his asking price will have a lot to do with it. I know we have a lot of space under the cap but we may be able to trade someone for an area of more need.

Edited by SJDK

On 12/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, TPS said:

Both of these guys have bought into the process and should be re-signed. Statistically, I think they are the best options as well.

jordan Phillips is straightforward: 9.5 sacks on 460 defensive snaps. Compare that to A. DONALD who has 11 sacks on 823 defensive snaps. Hopefully, he'll be willing to take a home town discount. At any rate, signing him keeps their DT rotation in place and continuity is valuable. 

Shaq is the more interesting case. Many people want the Bills to go after yannick Ngakoue of the Jags. Compare their stats. Ngakoue has 8 sacks, 13 TFLs, and 13 QB hits on 680 defensive snaps; Shaq has 6.5 sacks, 12 TFLs, and 17 QB hits on 435 defensive snaps. There really is no comparison, Shaq is the better player based on production per snap. And, Again, continuity is valuable. The Bills should then draft an edge rusher in one of the first two rounds to groom behind Hughes. 

It would probably take $16-20 million/ year, but it would lock them in for their next 4-year super bowl run. If D. Johnson continues to develop, then they could also move on from Murphy which saves them $7 mil.  Shaq has been more productive anyway, and should be the starting LDE. 

At any rate, I think this may be the best route for the Bills, and it keeps the D nearly intact.

I wished we would have signed Philips to a decent but not back breaking contract last season (a 2 or 3 year deal would have been ideal)  now he will command a pretty decent buck but he's earned it, he's made our defense stout in the middle against the run and pass imo. Shaq Lawson to me is fools gold, he only has shown up for his contract year, comparing him on any level to Ngakoue is not really even a comparison, Ngakoue has much more production but might be the lesser run defender but I'd take his pass rushing ability over run stuffing any day of the week but that's just me. I'd think pass rush and a tall WR with elite hands would be at the top of the list.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

13 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

My only hangup, the continuity these guys has formulated. I think being in a system, with the same teammates, same coaches, etc... for a few years absolutely holds water.

To an extent, I think it's why big time FAs sometimes flounder. There is no chemistry, there is a lack of familiarity, a lack of drive, etc...

absolutely! and i feel that truly applies in McBeane world. These guys have built a culture that needs adherence to , or else.

Those that thrive in it! should get rewarded IMHO

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I wished we would have signed Philips to a decent but not back breaking contract last season (a 2 or 3 year deal would have been ideal)  now he will command a pretty decent buck but he's earned it, he's made our defense stout in the middle against the run and pass imo. Shaq Lawson to me is fools gold, he only has shown up for his contract year, comparing him on any level to Ngakoue is not really even a comparison, Ngakoue has much more production but might be the lesser run defender but I'd take his pass rushing ability over run stuffing any day of the week but that's just me. I'd think pass rush and a tall WR with elite hands would be at the top of the list.

I would like to see those come from the Draft. Both are needs though. We also need H Phillips to come back 110%.
Another LB or two. L Alexander is about to retire (ouch) and he plays teams very well also.(yikes)

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

absolutely! and i feel that truly applies in McBeane world. These guys have built a culture that needs adherence to , or else.

Those that thrive in it! should get rewarded IMHO

I would like to see those come from the Draft. Both are needs though. We also need H Phillips to come back 110%.
Another LB or two. L Alexander is about to retire (ouch) and he plays teams very well also.(yikes)

Get rid of Star and Shaq and get 2 new pass rushers as quickly as possible. Contiunue to work on the Oline and get a big pass catching WR.