The Bills should re-sign Shaq and J. Phillips

TPS

Let’s not get carried away.  Both are having solid seasons (in contract years).  Both are replaceable.  Part of the benefit of building a strong culture is that other guys step in.  Part of the Pats dynasty has been letting guys go at the right time and not overpaying.  We should do the same 

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Call me crazy, but I feel like Murphy has been quite disruptive and a real presence the last few weeks. He has 3 sacks, sure, but he also has 3 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, an INT, and a good number of pressures. 

I feel like there is nothing Murphy provides that Johnson could not do for us if given those reps.....

I absolutely would cut Star and Murphy to make room for Phillips and Lawson

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like there is nothing Murphy provides that Johnson could not do for us if given those reps.....

I absolutely would cut Star and Murphy to make room for Phillips and Lawson

I think we underestimate the do-your-job qualities of Murphy - he sets the edge well and never seems to either freelance or make glaring mistakes. I honestly think he's been a nice role player for us this year. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I think we underestimate the do-your-job qualities of Murphy - he sets the edge well and never seems to either freelance or make glaring mistakes. I honestly think he's been a nice role player for us this year. 

Dave.....not to pick a fight there but Murphy has been HORRIBLE at setting the edge this year

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's a lot like Star in that respect, they get paid too much money to be "role players."  

As I've said, it will be interesting to see what Beane/McD think and decide....

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

He's a lot like Star in that respect, they get paid too much money to be "role players."  

The Bills are gonna be nearly 100 million under the cap. Not sure we need to be worrying about how much individual players are making right now. The Bills can afford whatever they want. 

• Like (+1) 3

Of course they should.  A few reasons:

1.  They already know the defense.  They have played in it for over a season at least.  No learning curve for them compared to FA or draft pick

2.  You know what you have.  If you draft a replacement or sign a FA you never really know what you are getting.  With your own players you know exactly what you are getting.

3.  Let them walk and who is to say you can find anyone better?  FAs have to agree to come to your team.  You can't just simply want them or pay them the most.  Who is to say that we could get a top FA to be better than either one?

4.  We can afford it.  Josh is still on rookie deal.  We got the cash.

Unless they ask for crazy contracts, this is a no brainer.

23 hours ago, MJS said:

Let Lawson walk. His play is pretty average. If there isn't a lot of interest for him, maybe give him a short extension till we can find someone to replace him.

I'd sign Phillips to a short deal. I don't see him as the type of player to keep giving it his all once he gets paid, but I could be wrong.

I think there will be plenty of interest in Shaq. He's going to get a nice contract from some team. If we don't sign him, who do we replace him with?

3 hours ago, hjnick said:

If we can sign him for 7/8 Mil a year.  I'm all for that.   I just don't want to resign him at a higher price than his 5th year contract would have been...

There's still 2 games left plus playoffs.  If he get a couple of more sacks this season, I would expect the price to keep going up.  Just like you said, he is trending up.

I think Shaq gets 5 years $50 million somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, TheFunPolice said:

why create a hole at DT?

Re-sign Phillips to a 4 year, $55 million deal with a bunch guaranteed. We've got the cap space and he is young and has really bought into the system here. 

Going forward you have Star, Oliver, Harry and Phillips at DT. That's a nice rotation. 

It's time to stack some talent. Why have a great 26 year old DT who is playing extremely well, let him walk, then spend a high draft pick to replace him?

INSTEAD, keep that DT and then stack talent with that high round pick. We don't have the nutzo QB contract so take advantage of that! 

This is were I am I think Philips will still play hard after getting paid he loves the crowd in buffalo and is young. Coach knows this guys pretty well and I trust him to pay the guys that will stay humble 

Phillips ain't getting anything close to the kind of deal I'm seeing in this thread. He had a grand total of 5.5 sacks in FIVE SEASONS prior to this year's outburst. Teams are gonna be leery about giving out a huge deal with that track record.

On the contrary, Shaq is gonna get MORE than the kind of deal I'm seeing theorized. His numbers have steadily risen, plays a premium position, and has everything you look for "on paper." 

I'd like both of them obviously but I'd prefer Shaq if we had to sign one given our depth at DT.  I'd like to see us get a pass rushing DE in the 1st round of the draft to alternate with Lawson and Hughes.

These are the must resigns  or extend over the next two offseasons -White, Edmunds, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde, Shaq

These are the would love to have them but not at the expense of losing the above - Phillips, Feliciano, Spain

7 hours ago, TPS said:

and they need contract corrections. That's just fine. it is not either or

lots of contracts can be renegotiated. Star and Murphy and Hughes are good examples.

For the good of the Whole (Team)

18 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Let's be careful here - I like the way Shaq & Phillips are playing as much as everyone else -- however, let's not return to the days of salary cap jail. We cannot have a maximum salary player at every position. We just spent a #1 pick on a guy (Oliver) who plays essentially the same position as Phillips. Shaq has only shown this kind of production this year & we have contracts for Tre White, Josh Allen &  other key players (Edmunds & Milano, etc.) looming in the near future. Tough decisions -- the attitude of "just sign everyone" will not cut it. I guess this is why GM's make the big bucks -- but I guess it is nice to have this issue, instead of the issue we have had for so many years where most of our players were clearly not worth re-signing.

The fact that Oliver is a rookie makes it possible to sign Phillips. Give him a 4-year deal that sets up to release him in the 4th year when Oliver will either be given his 5th year option or extended. As for Shaq, there is no comparison between his production vs Murphy, but you are right to question that it's a contract year, and it will be interesting to see what Beane does.

As for future signings, especially when it comes to Josh and Edmunds, the current big contracts will ( most likely) all be gone--Star, Hughes, Morse, Brown, et al.  In general, I think the Bills need about 2 more drafts to get to the point where they are drafting replacements, and grooming them 1-2 years for starting roles.  For now, they will have to rely on FAs to fill some key roles until they get there.