The Bills should re-sign Shaq and J. Phillips

TPS

18 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Two Words:  {Marcell Dareus}. Get paid...Get fat... Get Lazy.. Get Cut or traded....and the beat goes on.

I disagree with this as far as Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips are concerned.  Both of those guys have a better work ethic and character than Dareus did.

From what I can see, both extensions are low risk and should pay off in the future.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Two Words:  {Marcell Dareus}. Get paid...Get fat... Get Lazy.. Get Cut or traded....and the beat goes on.

I think this is exactly where you need to know the “man” just as much as the “player”. There is always the risk of a contract year surge in effort, but what’s in his heart. I’ve never met any of these guys, so I’ll trust the guys who have. 

• Like (+1) 1

Isn't the problem that Oliver and Phillips play the same position (3-technique)?  Have they been on the field at the same time much this season?  Can you let Star go and hope the other Phillips can fill his spot?  If we didn't have Oliver I think you go hard to keep Phillips.  With Oliver on the roster (and looking to have a big 2020 season), I'm just not sure.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Shaq's 5th year option was 9.5 million.  His new contract (wherever that is) won't be THAT high I don't think.

Personally I don't think Shaq is playing well this year just for the money, he was in a weird situation and seems to be finding his way.

It happens that way sometimes.

If we can sign Shaq for less than 9.5 Mil a year, then ok.

You never know with free agency what's going to happen.  I would think 1 team out there would 'break' the bank for him.

I'm more concerned with resigning Phillips and keeping the DT core together. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

He probably has, which makes him average. Nobody on our line is a dominant pass rusher. Defensive ends who can stop the run, but can't produce sacks, grow on trees.

I'd say a DT that is 2nd in sacks at his position, on 65% of the snaps as Aaron Donald is in the realm of dominant.

While run stuffing DEs may grow on trees, pass rushing DTs don't.

This defense returned 10 of 11 starters and look what it has done.

If I had to choose I'd keep Phillips, but it's closer than I thought. Phillips brings the energy that the rest of the DL feeds off of.

There are also quite a few edge players available in FA. Will that DE buy into the process? Will they be a scheme fit?

Lawson is starting to approach Phil Hansen territory.

The last thing I want to see is Buffalo letting Lawson and Phillips walk and then have to address the Defensive line and the Offense in FA and the draft.

With 90+ million there is plenty of $ available and that is before cuts and other potential losses.

3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Maybe, and he was non-existent the prior 3 years as a 1st round pick.  PASS on him PLZ.

Shaq had serious injury problems when he first arrived, lost his first season completely and then i would guess still wasn’t football ready for year 2. That’s not an easy way to start your career. Given that he has seemed to make strides last year and this year, I would say he may just be a late bloomer and on a great track now.

McD knows better than any of us what his value is going forward. Whether or not to resign him is going to depend on the value....and the value might be very good because of his bad start. D-line always needs rotation, so resigning him doesn’t declare him a full time every down starter, and it seems like we could do a lot worse.

2 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Marcel Dareus had tons of issues from the day he arrived....tons of family issues, losing loved one to shootings, and from what it seemed he was always battling depression. Given his talent level and the fact that he was a good guy at heart with a lot of troubles, it seemed like the team stuck by him hoping to get him through his problems and reach his potential. I even remember some sideline videos of vets telling him that he could be truly great if he committed himself.

Personally I’m not sure that his decline had anything to do with money, as I would guess that with all the depression he didn’t even care what was in his bank account. 

What a sad story really, as he was an UNBELIEVABLE talent. If his head was on straight he would probably be headed to the HOF.

I don't think these 2 (especially Lawson) are going to get the kind of money some think.  I know I posted on this before but in thinking about it I'm not sure any team can justify big money for Shaq.  

Phillips maybe....but dude loves it here.  

4 years at 40 mill.  

Lawson:  3 years 25 million.  

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

No *****. Of course we should sign them both. It’s just a matter of if we can afford them now. 

With $90 million in cap space next year, they can afford anyone now.  I think Phillips is a no-brainer.  Shaq is the more controversial one, but I think his numbers stack up well against almost anyone else you could sign as an FA replacement next year, which was my main point.  

As to future needs, the cap space next year sets them up well.  Sign Shaq and Phillips, and a WR, then fill a few gaps with middle range signings and the draft. 

My guess is that Beane would like to have significant rollover $$ the next several years so he can use it to give large guaranteed sums to the premium contract needs.  If they commit say $50 million to signings next year, that would give them $40 million to rollover into 2021, when they have Tre, Milano, Dawkins, and Poyer coming up.  Josh and Tremaine come up in 2022, but they also have 5th year options.  Hyde, Harry, and Taron J  are notable names for 2022, but Hughes, and most likely Starr, will be gone by then, so I really don't think it will be a question of affordability with making the decision on Phillips and Shaq.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No chance we re-sign Lawson.  Someone will give him decent money, but he is not the type of DE you invest in in free agency. 

His numbers this year show that he's as good if not better than most of the UFA options for 2020, which is what I'm arguing.  It remains to be seen if McD thinks he's a fit.  While Beane and McD talk about signing your own, Shaq was not their selection, so I think it comes down to their belief on whether or not he truly fits their process?  Either way, he'll get a pretty good payday.

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

With $90 million in cap space next year, they can afford anyone now.  I think Phillips is a no-brainer.  Shaq is the more controversial one, but I think his numbers stack up well against almost anyone else you could sign as an FA replacement next year, which was my main point.  

As to future needs, the cap space next year sets them up well.  Sign Shaq and Phillips, and a WR, then fill a few gaps with middle range signings and the draft. 

My guess is that Beane would like to have significant rollover $$ the next several years so he can use it to give large guaranteed sums to the premium contract needs.  If they commit say $50 million to signings next year, that would give them $40 million to rollover into 2021, when they have Tre, Milano, Dawkins, and Poyer coming up.  Josh and Tremaine come up in 2022, but they also have 5th year options.  Hyde, Harry, and Taron J  are notable names for 2022, but Hughes, and most likely Starr, will be gone by then, so I really don't think it will be a question of affordability with making the decision on Phillips and Shaq.  

nonsense.