The Bills should re-sign Shaq and J. Phillips

TPS

Both of these guys have bought into the process and should be re-signed. Statistically, I think they are the best options as well.

jordan Phillips is straightforward: 9.5 sacks on 460 defensive snaps. Compare that to A. DONALD who has 11 sacks on 823 defensive snaps. Hopefully, he'll be willing to take a home town discount. At any rate, signing him keeps their DT rotation in place and continuity is valuable. 

Shaq is the more interesting case. Many people want the Bills to go after yannick Ngakoue of the Jags. Compare their stats. Ngakoue has 8 sacks, 13 TFLs, and 13 QB hits on 680 defensive snaps; Shaq has 6.5 sacks, 12 TFLs, and 17 QB hits on 435 defensive snaps. There really is no comparison, Shaq is the better player based on production per snap. And, Again, continuity is valuable. The Bills should then draft an edge rusher in one of the first two rounds to groom behind Hughes. 

It would probably take $16-20 million/ year, but it would lock them in for their next 4-year super bowl run. If D. Johnson continues to develop, then they could also move on from Murphy which saves them $7 mil.  Shaq has been more productive anyway, and should be the starting LDE. 

At any rate, I think this may be the best route for the Bills, and it keeps the D nearly intact.

• Like (+1) 5

Let Lawson walk. His play is pretty average. If there isn't a lot of interest for him, maybe give him a short extension till we can find someone to replace him.

I'd sign Phillips to a short deal. I don't see him as the type of player to keep giving it his all once he gets paid, but I could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Let Lawson walk. His play is pretty average. If there isn't a lot of interest for him, maybe give him a short extension till we can find someone to replace him.

I'd sign Phillips to a short deal. I don't see him as the type of player to keep giving it his all once he gets paid, but I could be wrong.

I disagree. I think Shaq  has been our best all around DL this season.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I disagree. I think Shaq  has been our best all around DL this season.

He probably has, which makes him average. Nobody on our line is a dominant pass rusher. Defensive ends who can stop the run, but can't produce sacks, grow on trees.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Both Lawson and Phillips are playing well above average right now. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise with how well they have been this year. Letting either of them walk is a huge mistake.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Both Lawson and Phillips are playing well above average right now. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise with how well they have been this year. Letting either of them walk is a huge mistake.

Phillips, absolutely. Lawson? No. What about his play, from a national perspective, is above average?

My concern with Phillips is not that he is playing average. He's playing out of his mind right now. I am concerned that he will not keep it up on the long term. I also think DT is an area of strength. We have Ed Oliver who SHOULD be getting more playing time and the focus should be on developing him. We also have the other Phillips coming back.

Edited by MJS

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

To add to the earlier post and others mentioning these two. Where would you draw that line in terms of resigning them? How much do you think the Bills should offer?

I don't think anyone on this board knows what each one of these guys value is on the open market.

That's the issue right now.

I will bet dollars to donuts that Beane will be negotiating the best he can.

We all will have to wait to see what happens.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Phillips, absolutely. Lawson? No. What about his play, from a national perspective, is above average?

My concern with Phillips is not that he is playing average. He's playing out of his mind right now. I am concerned that he will not keep it up on the long term.

The nicest thing I can say for Lawson is his play has gotten better every year he’s been here. Question is, has he peaked? 
He was knocked for being injury prone. Been healthy for a bit now. 
Knocked for no pass rush, but he’s getting home quite a bit now. 
He is obviously quite stout against the run, and I thought he played his best game ever against Baltimore. 
Looking back they should of taken the 5th year option. One more year of decent production was worth it to see how much better he may or may not be. 
Just my own opinion but it looks to me like he found a gear he’s never used before. That would probably be on the coaches for getting the most out of him. 
I don’t have a high value for him or Phillips. Good players. Not break the bank players. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would love to have both guys back but it depends on how much they ask for. 

Does anyone one have any idea what kind of contacts we are looking at here?

I’d imagine around $7-$8MM a year for Shaq unless he has a freak game and gets over 10 sacks. Phillips is harder to estimate because we’re looking at an anomalous year that’s top 5 in production. Phillips is likely getting a big offer or two from a desperate team.... but.... Phillips knows the difference between a good and bad organization. 

• Like (+1) 2