Really astounding how far we've come in 13 months

TheBrownBear

On November 4, 2018, we were 2-7 which included losses by margins of 19, 22, 32, 32 and 44 points.  On this board there were regular discussions as to whether it was the least talented roster in Bills' history.  It seemed like we were eons away from being competitive.  Now, 13 short months later we are 10-4 and starting to look like a real contender to make some noise in the postseason.  It's a testament to the hard work put in by every member of the organization, and especially McDermott's leadership in keeping these guys focused on the process and long-term goal when things could have easily and understandably gone off the rails.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Beane and McDermott are working together to build the team. They share a vision and have worked well together. I trust them to make the right calls on players. We haven’t had a combo like this leading our team in 30 years. 
Kudos to ownership  on pouring money into the organization every place they are allowed too. 
Future looks bright.

• Like (+1) 6

The team and culture left by Whaley/Rex was a problem.  Poor coaching of the players we had under Rex.  Whaley left us with cap issues.  And most importantly m, there was not a sense of team in the building.  It took some time and roster turnover, but they have not strayed from their plan.

Beane purges the roster and through a few good drafts and free agents, had given McD the tools to work with.  He’s stocked the roster with players who are team first.

What McD has done with this team is nothing short of amazing.  He’s instilled a winning culture/attitude, put together a great coaching staff and has become a very good game day manager.  Yeah, we lost a few we should have won this year - all good teams do.  But the difference in how our players are readied every week has been excellent.

I expect this team to make a similar jump next year.  Should be fun!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My benchmarks to label this a successful season were:

at least 8 wins, with no blowout losses (check)

noticeable progression in Josh Allen's performance (check)

top-notch defense (check)

They've done everything I thought was reasonable at the start of the off-season -- and then some.  And they did it more quickly than many believed was possible.  Only those still clinging hopelessly to the "the roster already had talent and we didn't need to rebuild" vine are lagging behind...

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

On November 4, 2018, we were 2-7 which included losses by margins of 19, 22, 32, 32 and 44 points.  On this board there were regular discussions as to whether it was the least talented roster in Bills' history.  It seemed like we were eons away from being competitive.  Now, 13 short months later we are 10-4 and starting to look like a real contender to make some noise in the postseason.  It's a testament to the hard work put in by every member of the organization, and especially McDermott's leadership in keeping these guys focused on the process and long-term goal when things could have easily and understandably gone off the rails.

Cheers!  ?Will drink to that

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I kind of miss Rex Ryan, he had a really cool truck

Great for making grocery runs for his younger brudder.  ?

A story from 2015 indicates Rex is 5 minutes older, but apparently there is a chance the boys were mixed up in the hospital.  Rex is Rob, and Rob is Rex is a possibility.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Nice post OP!  The talent was upgraded on OL, TE and RB.  The DTs and LBs are playing the scheme better as only Fins in game 1 with them and the Iggles really ran it down our throats this year.  

Consistency on D has been achieved.  Not sure the Offense has enough talent to be consistent every week yet.  Will be a focus in off season I guess.

I really liked McDermott's comments where he said that some people said "Why would you want to go there? You'll never get it turned around." He went on to say that while they've turned the corner, they have a ways to go.

This speaks loudly to the kind of leader he is and how he is not afraid to take on any challenge, however difficult. It also clearly shows that he can be successful overcoming even the most difficult obstacles.

While many of us have speculated for years that nobody wants to come to Buffalo, we now know that this was indeed true. McDermott and Beane have changed that perception in just 3 short years. I tip my cap for what they have accomplished and give many thanks for the Pegulas who have made it all possible,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I agree with the op, however if this team wants to make a statement in the playoffs, the offense has to be better. I don't know what they can do at this point to make the offense better, but it has to take a step if they wanna win a playoff game Imo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I felt 2019 was completely on Brandon and Sean.  They have done great.  Probable 11 win season (if they do not rest everyone against the Jets) and playoffs.  But not just sneaking in and being big underdogs, but securing a spot with two weeks to go and building a defensive that gives us a chance no matter who or where they play.    They have achieved this with still plenty of draft capital and cap space.  That’s huge.   Just ask the Rams. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with all the praise they get. But I hope you guys remember the Bills were mostly injury free this year, had some games go their way, fairly easy schedule. In  the past, bad luck and curses have been the norm, while this year the ball has bounced for them. So if next year they are 8-6 at this point, don't bring out the pitchforks! We've seen it happen after every loss this year! And there were many Grinch even after the last win! 

But yeah, it feels good. I loooooved what Beane did this offseason, and the thoughts of having again a lot of cap space and also of structuring contracts in a way the coming years won't be awful either, that's soooo promising.

Edited by Jerome007