Dan Orlovsky Praises McDermott, Comments on Josh Allen Criticism (Analytics Twitter?)

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

People who believe that players & coaches should study a stat sheet instead of getting the context right by looking at film.  

They don't care what a player is doing on the field, if the stat sheet says he's below average, he's a bust.  

Don't the Bills boast of its analytics staff?

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Coach is not perfect by any stretch ... his clock /end of 1/2 management come to mind. That said, he has earned and is deserving of all positive press and accolades he's receiving. He is undoubtedly the perfect coach for this team. I mean he has easily earned a nice extension at this point and could be well on his way to more. Maybe more encouraging is that he strikes me as a guy that learns from his own mistakes and isn't afraid to put his own decisions under the microscope. Go Bills!

I don't know if "the perfect coach for this team" really says anything because he rebuilt the team to fit his plan.    

I think the most important thing is he's in the perfect situation for what HE wants to do.    

Bill Parcells used to say that Buffalo was a perfect place to be a football coach.............and I think he had in mind exactly what McDermott is doing.

It's a market with a fan base/community where the team is immensely valued but also very few distractions for players and has a small and easily manipulated media.

NOW add in an ownership group that demands little input into the football ops and is willing to spend a ton of money to give you what you want and you basically have all the tools to succeed.

Now if you don't take a holistic view as a football coach...........then maybe a lot of the advantages gained by being in Buffalo turn into negatives.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Really could care less about what people who are not following the team day-in and day-out have to say.  Josh seems to polarize people the way a certain dude in the White House does where they have already made up their mind regardless.

He is great with the fans, his teammates love him, he is improving, making big plays in the 4th quarter and most importantly -  he is winning games.  The analytics crowd can love a quarterback with a 65% completion percentage, 5.0 yards per attempt average throwing a 2 yard out to a back or TE on 3rd and 8 all they want, but I will take Allen any day of the week. 

He has a ton more potential to the upside than Baker or Sam. If he improves from year 2 to year 3 next year the way he has improved from year 1 to year 2, look the hell out because this will be a fun ride for Bills fans. 

Where do you feel he has specifically improved from year 1 to year 2?  I am asking for your view or perception, because although I am seeing SOME improvement, there is no huge leap that is apparent:  he is taking fewer BIG hits.

o  he was sacked 28 X last year, and already he has been sacked 34 X this year.

o  he is on pace for about the same number of INTS.

o  fumbling remains an issue.

o  Pct % completion has gone up, but still below 60 %.

o  passing games was 31st in league last year, 27th in league this year.

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Not really.  I think you are thinking of Russ Brandon’s “robust analytics” team led by a former Xerox executive.  

Not really.  I'm talking about the Bills current analytics staff. 

McD put it this way:

“It’s important that we continue to build our staff with guys that can think at a high level and he’s certainly that in addition to Luis (Guilamo) who is already on staff.”

“It’s a race against time every week for coaches,” said McDermott. “On most occasions you get seven days to find the right answers. The more we can streamline information and get the right information, the sooner we come to those all-important solutions during the week.”

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't know if "the perfect coach for this team" really says anything because he rebuilt the team to fit his plan.    

I think the most important thing is he's in the perfect situation for what HE wants to do.    

Bill Parcells used to say that Buffalo was a perfect place to be a football coach.............and I think he had in mind exactly what McDermott is doing.

It's a market with a fan base/community where the team is immensely valued but also very few distractions for players and has a small and easily manipulated media.

NOW add in an ownership group that demands little input into the football ops and is willing to spend a ton of money to give you what you want and you basically have all the tools to succeed.

Now if you don't take a holistic view as a football coach...........then maybe a lot of the advantages gained by being in Buffalo turn into negatives.

In other words, a perfect opportunity for a scam artist to take the ownership & fan base for a ride?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Where do you feel he has specifically improved from year 1 to year 2?  I am asking for your view or perception, because although I am seeing SOME improvement, there is no huge leap that is apparent:  he is taking fewer BIG hits.

2018 2019 Difference 2020
Total TD 1.64 1.93 18% 2.27
INT 1.09 0.64 -41% 0.38
YPG 180 205 14% 233.47
Completion % 52.8 59.3 12% 66.60

Obviously he may not improve by the same amount in year 3 but he is trending up for sure. but if he did I would take it easily and this clearly shows improvement over last year.  One note his fumbling went from 0.73 per game in 2018 to 1 in 2019 so that is still an issue.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

In other words, a perfect opportunity for a scam artist to take the ownership & fan base for a ride?

Parcells wasn't a scam artist.

He felt like the more full control he had and less outside variables he had to deal with the more likely he would succeed.

Belichick obviously feels the same way. 

Implementing it is another story but Buffalo is a perfect place for someone who can pull it off to be in position to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:
  2018 2019 Difference 2020
Total TD 1.64 1.93 18% 2.27
INT 1.09 0.64 -41% 0.38
YPG 180 205 14% 233.47
Completion % 52.8 59.3 12% 66.60

Obviously he may not improve by the same amount in year 3 but he is trending up for sure. but if he did I would take it easily and this clearly shows improvement over last year.  One note his fumbling went from 0.73 per game in 2018 to 1 in 2019 so that is still an issue.   

Very nice: interesting stats.

It's nice to get some actual feedback on this board instead of homers just SLAMMING someone for having a different take.

His sack number have definitely gone up however: talking heads on last game said he has the slowest/longest time to release in NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Parcells wasn't a scam artist.

He felt like the more full control he had and less outside variables he had to deal with the more likely he would succeed.

Belichick obviously feels the same way. 

Implementing it is another story but Buffalo is a perfect place for someone who can pull it off to be in position to do it.

Wasn't really referring to either Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Very nice: interesting stats.

It's nice to get some actual feedback on this board instead of homers just SLAMMING someone for having a different take.

His sack number have definitely gone up however: talking heads on last game said he has the slowest/longest time to release in NFL.

The sacks have gone up this year. I think that is because he is looking to make passes more often versus taking off and running. My untrained eyes see that he has improved as an overall QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bills7834 said:

The sacks have gone up this year. I think that is because he is looking to make passes more often versus taking off and running. My untrained eyes see that he has improved as an overall QB. 

Sacks really haven't gone up on a per game basis and he is throwing more times per game on average this year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Direct quote from Orlavsky.  You can hear it on WGR550:
https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-17-espns-dan-orlovsky-on-one-bills-live

I think I will start quoting myself from now on like Ralph:

Dollars to Donuts went on to write, "Phil the Thrill's analysis here is spot on, and funny."  The portly but handsome frequent contributory to TSW continued, "I might start quoting myself, too, or at the very least paraphrasing or plagiarizing some of the material I write on this Board." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Wasn't really referring to either Bill.

I'll be totally sold on McD when he wins a SB......which could easily never happen.......but he's not a scam artist.

Rex was a scam artist.    He never had any intention of personally putting in the work to implement his big talk.   

So I guess in a sense.........yes it was a perfect place to be a scam artist as well because of the amount of control allotted.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

How many game winning 4th quarter drives does he have this year compared to last year?  Or compared to Tyrod his 3 full years here?

INTs will be same for a full season compared to basically a half season last year - same with the sacks comparing a full season to half a season.  So in your mind 19/24 game in Dallas is not indicative of his potential?  In addition, us playing in close games every week with the defense we have will impact the team offensive stats.  If they have a lead late like they did Sunday night, they are comfortable going somewhat conservative on offense confident the defense will lock it down.

Fumbling is an issue and he still holds on to the ball to long, yes but overall their has been a clear improvement when you are not obsessed with the stats.   

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'll be totally sold on McD when he wins a SB......which could easily never happen.......but he's not a scam artist.

Rex was a scam artist.    He never had any intention of personally putting in the work to implement his big talk.   

So I guess in a sense.........yes it was a perfect place to be a scam artist as well because of the amount of control allotted.

One of those is correct. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was the perfect coach for the situation. Culture change is hard. It takes more than Xs and Os. 

• Like (+1) 1