Dan Orlovsky Praises McDermott, Comments on Josh Allen Criticism (Analytics Twitter?)

Great interview with Dan Orlovsky on One Bills Drive.  I really enjoy his analysis and love how he carved out a career for himself through Twitter!

But Dan has been praising the Bills and Sean McDermott over the past week.  

Dan thinks that Josh is playing good football and that completion percentages are tied to schemes and that Josh is not a QB to dink and dunk, so he never will have a high % pct.  But that Allen delivers when he needs to.   Case and point: 

I could be wrong but I really think Dan is speaking to the Analytics crowd.

“ I have friends who text me all the time, they have a stance and Josh Allen and they don’t waver from it.  They’ll send me some stuff and I’ll say “ I think he’s playing good football.’ is he playing football that you may want him to, because you didn’t like him coming out of the draft and now you won’t admit that he’s playing good football?

Maybe I don’t know. But I’m sitting here and I’m like this guy is playing good football and he’s playing good football in the moments that they need him to.

Here’s the thing about Josh that will take him from playing good football to becoming a difference maker. for the strong-armed that he has The consistency of the deep ball hasn’t shown up yet. And so you get 4 to 6 shots a game to push the ball down field. Usually if you hit those you have a good chance to win if you don’t your struggle. If Josh will get hot with those and hit some of those I think the bills can be really difficult in the playoffs not just make it. I think the bills I think that’s what will be the determining factor about their game against the Patriots.  Patriots are going to give him shots down field and if he hits them, And chooses to just throw them rather than aiming them. That will be a big determining factor in that game and all the playoffs.“

He also thinks the Bills should play “bully football” and impose their will on New England in the running game.  

He also applauded McDermott’s use of a timeout after the 2:00 warning.  I know many questioned the decision to use a TO with the clock stopped.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Coach is not perfect by any stretch ... his clock /end of 1/2 management come to mind. That said, he has earned and is deserving of all positive press and accolades he's receiving. He is undoubtedly the perfect coach for this team. I mean he has easily earned a nice extension at this point and could be well on his way to more. Maybe more encouraging is that he strikes me as a guy that learns from his own mistakes and isn't afraid to put his own decisions under the microscope. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4

The use of quotation marks is really throwing me off here... Is this: 

49 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

“ I have friends who text me all the time, they have a stance and Josh Allen and they don’t waver from it.  They’ll send me some stuff and I’ll say “ I think he’s playing good football.’ is he playing football that you may want him to, because you didn’t like him coming out of the draft and now you won’t admit that he’s playing good football?

Maybe I don’t know. But I’m sitting here and I’m like this guy is playing good football and he’s playing good football in the moments that they need him to.

Here’s the thing about Josh that will take him from playing good football to becoming a difference maker. for the strong-armed that he has The consistency of the deep ball hasn’t shown up yet. And so you get 4 to 6 shots a game to push the ball down field. Usually if you hit those you have a good chance to win if you don’t your struggle. If Josh will get hot with those and hit some of those I think the bills can be really difficult in the playoffs not just make it. I think the bills I think that’s what will be the determining factor about their game against the Patriots.  Patriots are going to give him shots down field and if he hits them, And chooses to just throw them rather than in them I think he amped about them feel sometimes. That will be a big determining factor in that game and all the playoffs.“

Something that Orlovsky said, or is that coming from you? Not flaming, just trying to follow. :)

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The use of quotation marks is really throwing me off here... Is this: 

Something that Orlovsky said, or is that coming from you? Not flaming, just trying to follow. :)

I assumed that 2nd part was the OP because it went from good grammar to gibberish...

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Autocorrect.  it should be “Patriots are going to give him shots down field and if he hits them and chooses to just throw them rather aim them”

In context he was referring to long passes.  Says he “aims” passes rather than throwing them.

So, Autoincorrect then?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Direct quote from Orlavsky.  You can hear it on WGR550:
https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-17-espns-dan-orlovsky-on-one-bills-live

I think I will start quoting myself from now on like Ralph:

I’m generally pro-Ralph and not to speak ill of the departed, but it’s no wonder we were a mess during the drought.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Autocorrect.  it should be “Patriots are going to give him shots down field and if he hits them and chooses to just throw them rather aim them”

In context he was referring to long passes.  Says he “aims” passes rather than throwing them.

Gotcha thanks.  I wasn’t going to come up with that. Reread it 5 times. 

Really could care less about what people who are not following the team day-in and day-out have to say.  Josh seems to polarize people the way a certain dude in the White House does where they have already made up their mind regardless.

He is great with the fans, his teammates love him, he is improving, making big plays in the 4th quarter and most importantly -  he is winning games.  The analytics crowd can love a quarterback with a 65% completion percentage, 5.0 yards per attempt average throwing a 2 yard out to a back or TE on 3rd and 8 all they want, but I will take Allen any day of the week. 

He has a ton more potential to the upside than Baker or Sam. If he improves from year 2 to year 3 next year the way he has improved from year 1 to year 2, look the hell out because this will be a fun ride for Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's "the Analytics crowd"?

People who believe that players & coaches should study a stat sheet instead of getting the context right by looking at film.  

They don't care what a player is doing on the field, if the stat sheet says he's below average, he's a bust.