AFC QBs heading into 2020 - major transitions coming

Flip Johnson

I know we'll have all offseason to talk about this, but I want to mention that by my calculations Buffalo is one of only four teams in the AFC that could feel genuinely good about their QB situation going into 2020.

KC - they have a star in Mahomes.

Houston - they have a star in Watson

Baltimore - they have a star in Jackson

Buffalo - they have a young QB that improved drastically from yr 1 to yr 2.

Everyone else ranges from "uncertain" to "starting over" to "no plan whatsoever."

New England - headed towards a major decision with a 42-yr old QB. Seems like a parting of ways

New York Jets - will obviously stick with Darnold but the mono, the coaching situation, and the general mess of the team has made this a wasted year in his development.

Miami - should be drafting a QB

Pittsburgh - hoping Ben comes back healthy, no long term plan in place.

Cleveland - will stick with Baker but can't be happy about the way the needle is pointing, as yr 2 has been much worse than yr 1

Cincinnati - drafting

Tennessee - big decision on making a financial commitment to Tannehill based on half a season.

Indy - probably realizing Brissett is a backup.

Jacksonville - probably cleaning house, in jail with the Foles contract, can't really think Minshew is the answer.

Los Angeles - probably realizing Rivers is done.

Oakland - can't feel great about Carr, could be drafting.

Denver - crossing their fingers about Drew Lock.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would add that the Brown, Jets and Broncos all feel pretty good about their QB situations (not the other aspects of the team), at least as good as Buffalo does. I think at the end of the day Allen, Darnold and Baker have all kinda reached the same point but taken different paths to get there. IMO none of that group have clearly separated themselves from the others and based on what Ive seen nobody in NY or Cleveland is ready to be done with their QB. Also I think Drew Lock has shown enough to be excited for next year.

If were being honest here we all should be having our fingers crossed extra hard for Allen. Hes improved and lead this team to 10 wins but he still has things to work on.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

I know we'll have all offseason to talk about this, but I want to mention that by my calculations Buffalo is one of only four teams in the AFC that could feel genuinely good about their QB situation going into 2020.

KC - they have a star in Mahomes.

Houston - they have a star in Watson

Baltimore - they have a star in Jackson

Buffalo - they have a young QB that improved drastically from yr 1 to yr 2.

Everyone else ranges from "uncertain" to "starting over" to "no plan whatsoever."

New England - headed towards a major decision with a 42-yr old QB. Seems like a parting of ways

New York Jets - will obviously stick with Darnold but the mono, the coaching situation, and the general mess of the team has made this a wasted year in his development.

Miami - should be drafting a QB

Pittsburgh - hoping Ben comes back healthy, no long term plan in place.

Cleveland - will stick with Baker but can't be happy about the way the needle is pointing, as yr 2 has been much worse than yr 1

Cincinnati - drafting

Tennessee - big decision on making a financial commitment to Tannehill based on half a season.

Indy - probably realizing Brissett is a backup.

Jacksonville - probably cleaning house, in jail with the Foles contract, can't really think Minshew is the answer.

Los Angeles - probably realizing Rivers is done.

Oakland - can't feel great about Carr, could be drafting.

Denver - crossing their fingers about Drew Lock.

great analysis.  I think PGH will be fine with Ben back, but they need to draft and groom a backup.  

I think Tenn will stick with Tanny.  He seems to have a rapport with the WR's there, but it will tie up a huge chunk of $$, and they also have to pay Henry.  

Not sure what Indy will do.  Looks like a potential QB purgatory there, or a Brady landing spot.  

I think Jacksonville sticks with Minshew, and drafts another guy.  Or Brady spot.  

NE:  finally, their reign of QB ridiculousness is over.  

Cincy: getting a stud in the draft.  That team should rebuild quickly, and I think quicker than Cleveland, unless they replace Kitchens.  

Oak:  I'd keep Carr and draft.  

Wildcard in all of this: Where is Rosen next year.  He has had two really historically bad teams.  Perhaps he goes to PGH as the backup?  He'd be servicable behind a competent OL.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

great analysis.  I think PGH will be fine with Ben back, but they need to draft and groom a backup.  

Did you see him on Sunday night? Clearly following the Karlos Williams hand book on NFL dieting...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'd say the Jets and Browns are probably closer to our perspective, just that their organizations are so full of ***** that it's dirtied their glasses when looking at the roster. 

I'd add Cinci as well (they're certainly happy to be getting the QB they want this year). Likewise with Miami; they'll either be happy with the QB they get in the draft or they don't really care about addressing the position this offseason at all.

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Tenn will stick with Tanny.  He seems to have a rapport with the WR's there, but it will tie up a huge chunk of $$, and they also have to pay Henry.  

Not sure what Indy will do.  Looks like a potential QB purgatory there, or a Brady landing spot.  

I think Jacksonville sticks with Minshew, and drafts another guy.  Or Brady spot.  

NE:  finally, their reign of QB ridiculousness is over.  

Cincy: getting a stud in the draft.  That team should rebuild quickly, and I think quicker than Cleveland, unless they replace Kitchens.  

Oak:  I'd keep Carr and draft.  

Wildcard in all of this: Where is Rosen next year.  He has had two really historically bad teams.  Perhaps he goes to PGH as the backup?  He'd be servicable behind a competent OL.  

"Wildcard in all of this: Where is Rosen next year.  He has had two really historically bad teams.  Perhaps he goes to PGH as the backup?  He'd be servicable behind a competent OL." I think the verdict is still out on that. On one hand he has not been given much, but Murray is in a similar situation this year in Ariz and looks better and Fitzpatrick has had the same exact situation in Miami and has been much more successful. he is worth a flyer for some team, but I would not say it is a given that he would be servicable in any situation until he shows it on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

More importantly is how well run/coached the teams are and stack up vs each other.  For me, is there any organization, front office plus coaching staff you'd trade in the AFC for ours?  Yea I know the recency bias is strong here but I truly think we're one of the best run organizations in the league which is amazing considering where we were just 3 years ago.  

When you look at that here is what I have:

Elite:

Kansas City 

Buffalo

Pittsburgh 

Edit:  Baltimore 

Good:

New England (Brady is done its over)

Houston

Everyone else

Edited by Big Blitz

31 minutes ago, jletha said:

I would add that the Brown, Jets and Broncos all feel pretty good about their QB situations (not the other aspects of the team), at least as good as Buffalo does. I think at the end of the day Allen, Darnold and Baker have all kinda reached the same point but taken different paths to get there. IMO none of that group have clearly separated themselves from the others and based on what Ive seen nobody in NY or Cleveland is ready to be done with their QB. Also I think Drew Lock has shown enough to be excited for next year.

If were being honest here we all should be having our fingers crossed extra hard for Allen. Hes improved and lead this team to 10 wins but he still has things to work on.

This ^

30 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Did you see him on Sunday night? Clearly following the Karlos Williams hand book on NFL dieting...

Yeah, I doubt Roethlisberger plays again.  Looks like Robert Baratheon.

Edited by mannc
  • Haha (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

More importantly is how well run/coached the teams are and stack up vs each other.  For me, is there any organization, front office plus coaching staff you'd trade in the AFC for ours?  Yea I know the recency bias is strong here but I truly think we're one of the best run organizations in the league which is amazing considering where we were just 3 years ago.  

When you look at that here is what I have:

Elite:

Kansas City 

Buffalo

Pittsburgh 

Good:

New England (Brady is done its over)

Houston

Everyone else

I'd add Baltimore to the elite category. 

I also don't think Houston is very good (FO+Coach).  Bill O'brien is NOT a good coach.  He doesn't elevate his team on game day and the fact that he's also the GM (look at how bad their off season was in the draft and free agency) is also pretty damning.  Zero people skills.  His handling of the Clowney situation was a joke.  He and the team have been "successful" because of how good their defense has been historically and also because the roster had key superstar talent at important positions when he came on board (Watt, Hopkins) and drafting an obvious stud in Watson.  O'brien has underwhelmed in the playoffs too.  

• Like (+1) 2