Consistency at OC and DC

cage

This is the first year we've had the same OC and DC for two consecutive years since 2010-11 under Chan Gailey.  If they can keep that going the Bills haven't had the same OC and DC for three consecutive years since 1998-2000 under Wade Phillips.  I think it's brought great consistency to the team and we're seeing the benefits now.  That can only further improve next year!

Here's to hoping that neither Daboll nor Frazier get offered a head coaching position.  

• Like (+1) 3

I just want consistency of scheme and terminology, which means you elevate a position coach to DC or OC  if LF or BD get jobs as HC, which obviously you hope they can aspire to for the sake of their own careers.  Maybe the fact that BD is from WNY will make some difference.   Leslie F.  has had a taste of the HC job, so he may be looking for another shot for sure.

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

I think they could weather the loss of Frazier more than Daboll. Would like to see LF get another shot.  A long shot, but Maybe the Browns will want someone associated with a culture change? 

Uh...no.  Daboll could walk out the door tonight and the Bills would be at least as good.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been lamenting the lack of continuity for the Bills for the last 10 years.  Finally we're seeing what happens when you have quality coaching and consistency.  With a little luck the same thing that happens with pro bowl voting happens when the current bottom feeders of the league are looking for new head coaching candidates, and they'll see right past Buffalo.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I think they could weather the loss of Frazier more than Daboll. Would like to see LF get another shot.  A long shot, but Maybe the Browns will want someone associated with a culture change? 

He don't want no parts of that job. It's a coaches graveyard

36 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

He don't want no parts of that job. It's a coaches graveyard

Yeah, I was thinking about that after posting...then again, that's what "they" told McD....

Edited by TPS

Head coaching gig or not I’m a daboll supporter kinda but if the offense stays as bad as it has been and into the playoffs I do not think his job is safe for next year. Just my opinion but I felt like he did a much better job last season with less talent than he’s done this year. You have to think they expected more from the offense with Allen in year two and the additions they made. Not dogging him out the offense has been hit and miss and when they’re on they look pretty good. His play calls have been maddening though this entire season 

2 hours ago, TPS said:

He would be the perfect hire at Cleveland, and yes he would take it.

48 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I've been lamenting the lack of continuity for the Bills for the last 10 years.  Finally we're seeing what happens when you have quality coaching and consistency.  With a little luck the same thing that happens with pro bowl voting happens when the current bottom feeders of the league are looking for new head coaching candidates, and they'll see right past Buffalo.

Hers the thing about consistency..cant have that without the quality coaching piece. The Bills kept missing on coaches and coordinators, so consistency would have been dumb. Think we are here if Rex and Whaley still steering the ship?

Again, I am with you lamenting the lack of consistency in this organization for 20 years, we finally look like we have the organization in place that it makes sense.

Now, what is gunna kill me is all the folks who come out and say " see, the Bills finally installed a plan, stuck with it, have gained consistency, and look at the results". When its the results that have produced the consistency.

Telling you right now, Cleveland and Detroit both making mistakes staying with the current leadership. They will be firing those guys next year, delaying the process by a year

I

I don't see Daboll getting a HC job unless it is at a non Power 5 college.  The offense has not done enough to make him a hot commodity.  I like Frazier and I hope he gets another shot to be a HC.  That said, I would not hire him if I was a GM for one simple fact.  I would have no way of knowing how much of the Bills defensive scheme and success is his or McDermott's.  Maybe that is not the most important thing to consider in a HC.  He certainly checks all the boxes in terms of leadership and being the face of a franchise. But when if it comes down to performance as a DC, I don;t think anyone would be able to say with any degree of confidence how much of it has been attributable to Frazier.   

As to the OP's point, I hope both stay.  Daboll get's people open and has done a decent job of replacing 10 of 11 guys on offense.  Any change would be a least a minor setback, going into an off-season where they probably will replace at least one guard, maybe shuffle the right side of the line, still need to develop the TE's, and hopefully add a big WR.

I've always been impressed by the consistency in Pittsburgh.  Only 3 HCs in the last 50 years and something like 30 playoff appearances.   They don't make the playoffs every year but they don't experience 17 year droughts either.  And they don't fire a coach in a knee-jerk fashion after a disappointing season.  

Players do their best when work in the same  schemes under the same coaches - assuming the schemes are well-designed and the coaches are competent.  This D is really good  and the O has blemishes but I don't think Daboll is a bad OC.  I'm with Cage and would love to see these guys stay together.

4 hours ago, cage said:

This is the first year we've had the same OC and DC for two consecutive years since 2010-11 under Chan Gailey.  If they can keep that going the Bills haven't had the same OC and DC for three consecutive years since 1998-2000 under Wade Phillips.  I think it's brought great consistency to the team and we're seeing the benefits now.  That can only further improve next year!

Here's to hoping that neither Daboll nor Frazier get offered a head coaching position.  

Our offensive consistence is a consistency of under-performance.  I'm fine with Daboll going.  Frazier is clearly a keeper.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've always been impressed by the consistency in Pittsburgh.  Only 3 HCs in the last 50 years and something like 30 playoff appearances.   They don't make the playoffs every year but they don't experience 17 year droughts either.  And they don't fire a coach in a knee-jerk fashion after a disappointing season.  

Players do their best when work in the same  schemes under the same coaches - assuming the schemes are well-designed and the coaches are competent.  This D is really good  and the O has blemishes but I don't think Daboll is a bad OC.  I'm with Cage and would love to see these guys stay together.

keeping the HC is key.  PGH has had OC turnover.  They have been stable at DC for the most part, with LeBeau and now Butler.  Hopefully if someone wants to hire a DC as HC, they take Butler and not Frazier!  

4 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I don’t see Frazier or Daboll getting any HC jobs this year either so Year 3 under the same guys will be great for guys like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.

not sure another year of Daboll's inconsistent play calling is good for anyone.  The game plan against the Ravens was terrible.  Long passes that Allen air-mails.  You beat blitzes the way the Pats**** do, with short throws and running.  

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Interesting piece of trivia: Over those 50 years and 3 HCs, they have never once fired a coach. Knoll and Cowher both retired.

I like Daboll.  He's schemes are very good.  I know most fast have blamed our OC for offensive woes in the past, but most of it is execution at the QB level.  Allen is still raw and learning.  Dabolls O will be much better looking as Allen improves