A Quick Question About Mcdermott's Timeout at the Two-Minute Warning

Big C

So, maybe this is one of my blind spots in the rules, but I keep reading about the brilliance of McD taking a timeout after the Steelers got liked up on the play Poyer got his interception. This isn't the first time I've heard praise for McD using a timeout just because he wanted to see what the other team was putting out there. Now, it is obviously a smart tactic; I get all of that. My question is this: couldn't the Steelers just sub out different players after the timeout and totally nullify what he was trying to do? Are they not allowed to sub players if we call the timeout? 

6 minutes ago, Big C said:

So, maybe this is one of my blind spots in the rules, but I keep reading about the brilliance of McD taking a timeout after the Steelers got liked up on the play Poyer got his interception. This isn't the first time I've heard praise for McD using a timeout just because he wanted to see what the other team was putting out there. Now, it is obviously a smart tactic; I get all of that. My question is this: couldn't the Steelers just sub out different players after the timeout and totally nullify what he was trying to do? Are they not allowed to sub players if we call the timeout? 

2 trains of thought.  1.  You get the players and formation.  In those situations teams only have a few plays they go to, so you get a good read on what they want to do.  2.  Maybe they do change.  Now in that circumstance you forced your opponent away from their best play.  Win, Win either way.  Overall, coaches are sticking to the original play, they feel with proper execution the play will work even if the might have a read on what's coming.  

• Like (+1) 4

It's not just the players and the formation that you get. You motion and see how they respond to that.

Could the D put in different personnel? Sure. But McDermott isn't likely to run the same personnel and formation after the timeout. Why do something they're now prepared for? They could but probably wouldn't at that moment.

But later in the game when the defense has the same personnel in play against your personnel, you know what their reaction will be if you run the same formation and motion, and you have a great likelihood of knowing whether they're going man or zone. That's a nice advantage. Can they change that too? Sure, but they'd be changing away from what the coaches considered all week to be their best strategy.

It's not a huge thing, but it's getting a nice little advantage in terms of knowing what their plans are in certain situations.

• Like (+1) 1

I think, after all his years coaching at the NFL level now, we can probably say with reasonable confidence that McDermott, AKA "McNasty!", knows what he's doing.  Oh, and that Leslie Frazier guy is pretty good at his job, so I hear. 

We all need to sit back and appreciate what we appear to have going on D in Buffalo right now.  I can't recall any time since '99 and the great Wade Phillips' defenses (annually paired with mediocre, at best, offenses) that we've fielded such a consistently dominant unit.  Things are getting very interesting around here lately.  It's a great time to be a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big C said:

It is multi fold for reasons it works, but first yes the offense and defense can sub.

The first thing is usually teams try to set up their best play for that situation- so you gain info about what formation and players they want in that situation- plus whether they call motion or not.

The second thing is you can see how the offense reacts when you show pressure or drop off - so you know a little better what they are going to do to allow you later on to scheme a package.

It has a chance to be a win/win for McDermott - if they switch personnel- they are going away from their top play for that situation- plus you get info to use for a later package when you see that set-up again.

It is just a totally different perspective on coaching because of his defensive background.  He has much more varied attacks coming from his defensive plans and as long as they are ahead - he likes the knowledge it provides to the staff to use timeouts in that situation.

McD has shown that he uses these types of timeouts well, to suss out what the opponent is trying to do.  What bugs me are the ones we waste after a big play because we don't hustle downfield to be in position to snap the ball 40 seconds later.  Or when he calls a TO to kick a FG with 30 seconds left, instead of running the clock down to 3 seconds to end the half.  If he can eliminate those mistakes, we got ourselves a coach with all the tools. 

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McD has shown that he uses these types of timeouts well, to suss out what the opponent is trying to do.  What bugs me are the ones we waste after a big play because we don't hustle downfield to be in position to snap the ball 40 seconds later.  Or when he calls a TO to kick a FG with 30 seconds left, instead of running the clock down to 3 seconds to end the half.  If he can eliminate those mistakes, we got ourselves a coach with all the tools. 

I don't recall such a situation but I may be forgetting something.  In any event, I believe McD has taken strides forward (like the rest of the team) in his gameday and clock management.  Some will argue he is too conservative at the end of first halves but his use of TOs to assess what another team is doing (either on offense or defense) at key moments has been brilliant.  It has been mentioned by numerous commentators/analysts over the past several weeks now that Buffalo is getting national exposure.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't recall such a situation but I may be forgetting something.  In any event, I believe McD has taken strides forward (like the rest of the team) in his gameday and clock management.  Some will argue he is too conservative at the end of first halves but his use of TOs to assess what another team is doing (either on offense or defense) at key moments has been brilliant.  It has been mentioned by numerous commentators/analysts over the past several weeks now that Buffalo is getting national exposure.

Ravens game at the end of the first half.

• 3rd & 17 at BAL 43

(0:38 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle to C.Beasley to BLT 29 for 14 yards (E.Thomas III; C.Clark). Caught at BLT 39, crossing to left.

•  

(0:30 - 2nd) Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:30.  <<<<<=============== Has anyone seen a Pid?  First name Stu?

• 4th & 3 at BAL 29

(0:25 - 2nd) S.Hauschka 47 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-R.Ferguson, Holder-C.Bojorquez.

• bal.png&h=100&w=100END OF HALF1 PLAY, 9 YARDS, 0:25<<<<====People more pissed about fake kneeldown than McD kicking off and allowing a play before the half.
Edited by Freddie's Dead

I had the same question about this - Knowing the Bills would adjust their defensive approach, is there a reason why Steelers didn’t come out in a different formation or personnel grouping after the timeout? I think I’ve seen the Bills offense do this before as well. Btw here is a good breakdown by Orlovsky

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not just the players and the formation that you get. You motion and see how they respond to that.

Could the D put in different personnel? Sure. But McDermott isn't likely to run the same personnel and formation after the timeout. Why do something they're now prepared for? They could but probably wouldn't at that moment.

But later in the game when the defense has the same personnel in play against your personnel, you know what their reaction will be if you run the same formation and motion, and you have a great likelihood of knowing whether they're going man or zone. That's a nice advantage. Can they change that too? Sure, but they'd be changing away from what the coaches considered all week to be their best strategy.

It's not a huge thing, but it's getting a nice little advantage in terms of knowing what their plans are in certain situations.

he is referring to when we were on defense, and the steelers were on offense.